NCAA Wrestling

Sorry, not a clue. I’d try FloWrestling, but they’d probably make you sign up for a year’s subscription.

RBY pin. That’s the dual right there. Iowa probably needed to be up 12-3 after the first 4 to stand a chance. They have to pull an upset and win every swing match to even make it close.

Starocci, honestly didnt seem to care or be interested in opening up. Just got a lazy W daring Nelson to take a shot.
Kennedy Facundo was boring but interesting. Kerkvleit is an awesome Hwt wrestler.

I love the Brands Brothers but they are absolutely not great coaches. The V tech transfers and the Pennsylvania 2017 recruiting success is why they have 4 national titles .Icons world class in their day but coaching not even close to Sanderson or Gable.

Last edited:
Starocci, honestly didnt seem to care or be interested in opening up. Just got a lazy W daring Nelson to take a shot.
Kennedy Facundo was boring but interesting. Kerkvleit is an awesome Hwt wrestler.

I love the Brands Brothers but they are absolutely not great coaches. The V tech transfers and the Pennsylvania 2017 recruiting success is why they have 4 national titles .Icons world class in their day but coaching not even close to Sanderson or Gable.
We were saying that last night. Brands were great wrestlers whose main coaching strengths seem to be pushing intensity, and even that isn’t rubbing off on a majority of the squad. It wouldn’t shock me to see them finish 4th or 5th at Nationals.

Score looked a bit more lopsided than it should have been, though. A bunch of coulda/woulda/shouldas, but I don’t think they’re that far apart. Teske’s brain fart at the end got him unnecessarily pinned, and the decision not to wrestle Assad was pretty baffling (still unsure of the reasoning) and surely cost them and extra couple points. Kennedy nearly hitting that cradle in SV would have been fantastic.

Stacked as it is, I think Kennedy has the potential to go deep at 165. No shame in losing to Carr, and he got edged by Hamiti. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him finish 5-6 if he stays healthy.

Warner may be the most frustrating Hawkeye to watch in recent memory.

Penn States young guys need to open up on offense. They're all rock solid defensively but too timid on offense. Once they can consistently push the pace, I think all 3 will be brutal to deal with.

We were saying that last night. Brands were great wrestlers whose main coaching strengths seem to be pushing intensity, and even that isn’t rubbing off on a majority of the squad. It wouldn’t shock me to see them finish 4th or 5th at Nationals.

Score looked a bit more lopsided than it should have been, though. A bunch of coulda/woulda/shouldas, but I don’t think they’re that far apart. Teske’s brain fart at the end got him unnecessarily pinned, and the decision not to wrestle Assad was pretty baffling (still unsure of the reasoning) and surely cost them and extra couple points. Kennedy nearly hitting that cradle in SV would have been fantastic.

Stacked as it is, I think Kennedy has the potential to go deep at 165. No shame in losing to Carr, and he got edged by Hamiti. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him finish 5-6 if he stays healthy.

Last year at nationals Warner shocked me and I think he

If Iowa wants to win at NCAAs they need Murin,Warner,Nelson,Assad,Seibrecht, and Teske too all do much better than I expect them to. But they all have some skills. Kennedy is first time at ncaas so IDK how he'll do but i like him. Lee, Woods, and Cassiopi are the only guys I'm not worried about.

Penn State is a little more vulnerable than years past and that's my hope for Iowa.

I'm also happy Iowa State is doing well, I root for both teams, weirdly. Though Dresser is kind of a ******* ******

Last year at nationals Warner shocked me and I think he

If Iowa wants to win at NCAAs they need Murin,Warner,Nelson,Assad,Seibrecht, and Teske too all do much better than I expect them to. But they all have some skills. Kennedy is first time at ncaas so IDK how he'll do but i like him. Lee, Woods, and Cassiopi are the only guys I'm not worried about.

Penn State is a little more vulnerable than years past and that's my hope for Iowa.

I'm also happy Iowa State is doing well, I root for both teams, weirdly. Though Dresser is kind of a ******* ******
Oddly enough, watching Lee these last couple weeks, I’m actually concerned about him. He’s set such a ridiculous standard that a 7-1 win over a 2x All-American is a disappointment, but he’s looked more vulnerable, and he’s looking tired late in matches.

Woods may very well win it at 141.

I don’t think Cassiopi wins it, but he should get third. Should have gotten back points vs Parris though. Disappointing ending, but that match was fun to watch live.

Looking forward to Iowa’s 2023 recruiting class. Ben Kueter just went undefeated for 4 years in high school winning his 4th state title, pinning or teching every opponent he faced this year—and winning a world title. This guy has the potential to be an all-time great; but he’s also an elite linebacker and plans on playing football, too, which is worrisome.

Gabe Arnold just won a state title, beating another top 10 recruit for the 4th time this season

Ryder Block became a 4x finalist and won his 3rd state title, with his loss coming his sophomore year to a senior and other 3x state champ/future teammate in Drake Ayala.

Cody Chittum was the #1/#2 prospect in the country depending on where you read (with Kueter being the other).

Nate Jesuroga won a bronze at cadet worlds and is a top 15 recruit, too. Rumors he quit wrestling, though—he didn’t wrestle this season and wasn’t at state.

Gomez looks injured. Just lost in the quarters. Can’t see him beating Yianni again this season.

1st) Oregon State 123.5
2nd) Stanford 113.5
3rd) Cal Poly 112
4th) Arizona State 110.5
5th) Little Rock 82
6th) CSU Bakersfield 58

A) what happened to ASU? I assumed they would run away with it.

B) 6 teams in the Pac-12.

C) A college in Arkansas is in the Pac-12

Dang, Gomez out in 2 on a DQ.

What is a slam?
Answer: USA Wrestling CT again refers to page 35 of the rule set forth by the NFHS. Although it may be difficult for any official to make a “slam” call. The definition is quite simple, A slam occurs when either wrestler lifts his/her opponent off the mat and returns him/her with unnecessary force.

Did that meet the definition of "unnecessary"?

What is a slam?
Answer: USA Wrestling CT again refers to page 35 of the rule set forth by the NFHS. Although it may be difficult for any official to make a “slam” call. The definition is quite simple, A slam occurs when either wrestler lifts his/her opponent off the mat and returns him/her with unnecessary force.

There were videos over the weekend of intentional punches being thrown and no one being dq’d. Does Gomez need a bid to go to Nationals now?

Anyways, fun weekend. Carr pinned O’Toole in SV (close match with some very close calls that went Carr’s way), Shane Griffith lost in his conference finals, and Max Dean upset in the Big 10 finals.

What is a slam?

That rule is written like trash. Who decides what is necessary? I found the finish to be fine.

That rule is written like trash. Who decides what is necessary? I found the finish to be fine.

My first reaction was also "WTF that looks fine." But watching it a few more times, I can kind of see what ref was thinking. Gomez' feet leave the mat before they both land, he's trying to spin into the TD to land other guy in danger position, but ref probably saw that as unnecessary elevation. Other guy also lands kind of on his head and ref may have considered that a spike. Marginal call but I can see it going either way.

Brackets are out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1foYaudN5Iq2CmuWMzqZCUoxYqP0frhHj/view

Gomez vs Sasso in the Round of 16 is pretty crazy. He goes from beating Yianni and having a #2 ranking to a 15 seed. He’s going to struggle to get on the podium.

Dean and Allred will meet in the round of 16, which sets up a pretty rough quarterfinal for Bonaccorsi as a 1 seed at 197. Jacob Warner got Caffey in the first, and it won’t surprise me if he’s out the tournament on Friday morning.

165 is going to be fun. 2 NCAA Champs and an NCAA Finalist on the top half of the bracket alone. Carr may get Griffith in the quarters (if he can get past Olguin in the round of 16).

Back