Multiplatform Official Borderlands 3 Discussion

How do you rate Borderlands 3?

• Total voters
Depends what you mean by "better". I mean, it is what it is. I don't think the core formula changed all that much. They did make some odd decisions, though. I agree that it's a little too easy on the default setting, and for some dumb reason they didn't have a standard "hard" setting out of the gate. I've beaten some bosses in under 30 seconds, and I ain't no FPS master by any stretch. The frequent Legendary drops are a blessing and a curse. There are a lot of L drops, which makes it easy enough to experiment with different L weapons so you're always switching stuff up, but it renders everything else useless. Outside of the opening few hours, I haven't touched any green/blue/purple stuff.

Where it really dropped the ball, is the writing. I don't expect great things from BL in that department, and it's always been stupid and juvenile in a good way, but this game is aggressively obnoxious and lame in its writing. Damn near everything is a poop joke, and the characters just go on and on and on, with jokes that weren't the least bit funny in the first place. The writing is like "that guy" at a party who thinks they're funny, and everyone is too polite to tell him to shut the fuck up.

That all said, it's still a good game to mess around with. It's a fucking huge game with tons of stuff to do(you certainly get your money's worth). It looks great and has more diverse areas than any other BL game. Legendaries might drop a little too frequently, but I'm always interested in what the next one does, so it doesn't kill the loop. It's easy(at least initially), but it's still fun to massacre areas in all sorts of ways that are ever evolving, and at the end of the day, that's really what game is all about.

what i find strangest about the legendaries is that in bl1 they dropped fairly often (maybe not THIS much, i dunno)... but they had so many different variants and rolls that it didn't matter. in bl2, they made legendaries uniform and i think they're still that way (i know a lot of them are in bl3 [via duplicates that dropped], but i guess i didn't actually confirm it... but it seems like they're all the same).

fwiw, i thought bl1 was actually the best of them (esp if including dlc) and had the best itemization.

and yeah, the writing is a burning trash barge. but i expected that.

Back