Official Judo Thread

Did the evening Judo class at my BJJ gym today. It's been at least 2 years since I did a Judo drop in at another club. Was wearing my brown and felt really uncomfortable lining up in front of my BJJ coach who is a BJJ BB and fought in WSOF and PFL. The Judo program is new at my gym so they started everyone at white belt unless they have prior Judo training, which is pretty much everyone except me. Not my call but IMO my BJJ coach is shodan equivalent and I wish the instructor would just give him a brown so the rest of us don't have to feel stupid.

After warm-ups and break falls, we drilled the shit out of seoi nage which is not my favorite throw. Then 5 rounds of live randori. Got the better of the BJJ brown who is also proficient at TDs and has cross-trained with high level Judoka. Was throwing 3 of the other white belts at will with anything I wanted so just went full on helpful uke mode with them. Mercifully didn't have to go with my BJJ coach. Even landed a TD against the country breakfast sasquatch who outweighs me by 80 lbs. But had to resort to my single leg pick up + o uchi gari combo. Instructor yelled at me for that, "No grabbing legs!" Also got yelled at for holding onto a georgian belt grip for more than 5 seconds. Fuck me if the current ruleset isn't fucking stupid.

So a good training session and my knees and back will be feeling it tomorrow. Going on 48, I might be getting too old for this shit soon.

Had the same kind of experience with the Judo class at my old BJJ club: I'm a brown in judo and so lined up ahead of my black belt BJJ coach. It's feels weird man.
I'm in my 50's, still a brown belt due to big gaps in my training. Judo is tough when you're older, but that said, just call your shots, don't do intense stuff if you're not up to it that day, and a big one for me, keep ego in check.

Had the same kind of experience with the Judo class at my old BJJ club: I'm a brown in judo and so lined up ahead of my black belt BJJ coach. It's feels weird man.
I'm in my 50's, still a brown belt due to big gaps in my training. Judo is tough when you're older, but that said, just call your shots, don't do intense stuff if you're not up to it that day, and a big one for me, keep ego in check.

Your brown belt probably looks even more faded than mine. My coach jokingly asked if I was an orange belt because this thing is now faded beige-orange and is too small because I no longer have a 28" waist. So tied around my waist it kind of looks like a shrunken head with floppy ears sticking straight out.

The worst for me were the breakfalls and being thrown full speed during drills. Hurt more than I remember and I'd rather get thrown full speed in randori. Going live, I feel like you can at least partially defend so you don't really get slammed, and the wizards that can really launch you (no guys like that at my club now) USUALLY did it with control so you don't get hurt. Getting slammed 20 times by two herky jerky TD novices drilling seoi nage rattled my bones and sucked ass.

But going for TDs without anyone pulling guard was very cool and something I've missed.

Last edited:
Aren't there are rogue non-Kodokan-affiliated judo schools that do this? Teaching "traditional" or "old school" or "freestyle" judo? Coulda sworn that was a thing.

I've also seen a lot of judoka just cross-train in BJJ or sambo in order to learn and apply the "forbidden" techniques. Is that still a thing?

Not in Germany where I live. Judo is olympic judo here, full stop.

Went to the evening Judo class at my BJJ gym again. Had to drill my least favorite throw ippon seoi nage over and over again including uchi komi, but at least got in some solid randori. Good times but got yelled at again by the instructor for holding a georgian grip for too long and again for holding same side lapel grip for too long. Fuck me this is getting annoying. Since the 90's my tokui waza throws have always been a high crotch with leg trip, hane goshi from georgian grip and osoto gari from same side lapel grip, all of which are either banned or much harder/discouraged to achieve under current grip restrictions.

The instructor was born in the 90's when I was competing as a sankyu and nikyu so has never known Judo with leg grabs and unrestricted grips. I'm respectful and have no issues taking coaching from someone younger, but damn it's a tough proposition to be asked to become LESS effective at taking people down in order to train Judo under a ruleset I'm unlikely to ever compete in.

Went to the evening Judo class at my BJJ gym again. Had to drill my least favorite throw ippon seoi nage over and over again including uchi komi, but at least got in some solid randori. Good times but got yelled at again by the instructor for holding a georgian grip for too long and again for holding same side lapel grip for too long. Fuck me this is getting annoying. Since the 90's my tokui waza throws have always been a high crotch with leg trip, hane goshi from georgian grip and osoto gari from same side lapel grip, all of which are either banned or much harder/discouraged to achieve under current grip restrictions.

The instructor was born in the 90's when I was competing as a sankyu and nikyu so has never known Judo with leg grabs and unrestricted grips. I'm respectful and have no issues taking coaching from someone younger, but damn it's a tough proposition to be asked to become LESS effective at taking people down in order to train Judo under a ruleset I'm unlikely to ever compete in.
Yes where I have trained judo as well people wouldn't like if apanents used leg grabs at all. You also have to understand the issue with safety, too. People don t expect it so they don t have breakfalls for these throws in their muscle memory.

On same side grip though, I thought new rules allowed for more liberty?

Yes where I have trained judo as well people wouldn't like if apanents used leg grabs at all. You also have to understand the issue with safety, too. People don t expect it so they don t have breakfalls for these throws in their muscle memory.

On same side grip though, I thought new rules allowed for more liberty?

I hear you on the unexpected attacks being a safety concern. I'm not going for high crotches out of consideration, although that (with leg trip) and drop-knee seoi are my go to TDs against much bigger guys.

Re. grips, the instructor told me not to hold for more than 5 seconds. Current IJF rules don't specify a time, you just need to attack immediately from "unconventional kumi-kata" in Article 18, Section 9:
https://rules.ijf.org/#_idTextAnchor018

So basically you can't set up kuzushi from a belt grip, same-side grip, sleeve pistol grip etc. When I got called on it, I half-jokingly (but respectfully) told the instructor I understand you get 3 shidos in a match before Hansoku make and I was strategically using one of my shidos during that randori period. But IMO grip restrictions short-change guys from learning to attack and defend grips. Grip fighting was critical in 90's Judo and if you couldn't prevent a guy from taking a belt grip, he was going to take it and control you with it.

But no one in the Judo class competes in Judo - it's a supplement to the BJJ program. There were two BJJ BB's in the class (instructor awkwardly made me line up in front of them again to bow people in) who both have wrestling backgrounds and one fought MMA. My BJJ coach wasn't in the class last night but even he's jokingly told me during TD drills, "if you throw me hard with your Judo stuff, I'm throwing elbows from guard. This is an MMA gym." LOL. He's also pretty loose on IBJJF rules. He tells the class you're not supposed to reap the leg in gi but doesn't enforce it during rolls as long as no one's getting hurt. A visiting purple once complained to the coach I was reaping his leg and the coach just winked and was like, "this is an MMA gym, you need to protect yourself at all times." LMAO.

I appreciate my BJJ coach's style and BJJ in general being more open to "if it works, it works." Got corrected by the Judo instructor on proper bow in procedure - every gym does something slightly different. Some start from kneeling, some standing, then some variation of otogai rei, shomen, and/or sensei ni rei. Right leg up first. OK whatever you say. IMHO I don't care if we bow to a crayon drawing of Pikachu. Line up in front of me, line up behind me, I don't give a shit. Let's just get it over with and train.

Last edited:
Excuse me, how is the pro wrestling technique seen at 1:10 called in judo?
Sukui nage? Te guruma? Kata guruma?

Last edited:
Thanks. Just minutes ago, I was looking that Kodokan stated that sukui nage and te guruma are the same techinque; in fact te guruma has been removed from techinques list and from the youtube video of the Kodokan channel.

Last edited:
Thanks. Just minutes ago, I was looking that Kodokan stated that sukui nage and te guruma are the same techinque; in fact te guruma has been removed from techinques list and from the youtube video of the Kodokan channel.
These bureaucrats. This is not cockpit technology on a fighter jet. LOL at always changing rules and curriculum all the time to justify their existence. But this is true in any field. You'll get these leeches from regulatory bodies who will annoy everyone all the time and be useless.

I see why they put them together though. There has always been confusion on how you classify which variation of the technique, because the truth is, a hand wheel (te-guruma ) always includes scooping and is therefore a scoop throw (sukui nage). It doesn't work like that the other way around though because you're not spinning the opponent in all variations of sukui nage, so considering the terminology is supposed to be descriptive so every technique can be clearly classified, this decision makes a lot of sense to me.

That being said, the term te-guruma will probably still be used widely. Hell, kubi nage for instance isn't even an actual Kodokan term and never was, and people still use the term.

Banged up my knee doing Judo last week. Randori and I hit drop knee tai otoshi spiking my knee into the mat with a 210 lbs dude hiked up on my shoulder. Mat was surprisingly thin and hard as shit (not apparent rolling BJJ) and I felt a twang of impact. Got the TD and as soon as he stood back up, my dumb ass immediately hit the same throw again, banging my knee in the same spot and completing the throw again but hurting me enough to hobble off the mat. What a stupid prideful bitch I was there.

Went to BJJ once this week but can't post on my knee at all and figured I'll rest it until next week. Torn on how much to commit to the Judo program at my gym. Can't train twice in the same day (recovery needs + home schedule) so doing the Judo class means I have to skip BJJ that day. REALLY not a fan of not being allowed to chain singles, high crotches, ankle picks with Judo throws like I used to do and these fucking mats are so thin I have to be extra careful. Would honestly rather train old school 90's Judo and remain Judo brown for life, than ever get shodan under a coach who only knows and demands current IJF rules in randori.

Recently i have been pretty impressed about how consistently gorgeous Baruch Shmailov's kata guruma looks.

I must admit, Ulaanbaatar was wild.

KO via Ura Nage

FWKT9ybaMAEonNW

Also some other beautiful ippons.

Back