Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
WBC junior lightweight world titlist Miguel Berchelt will face former WBO featherweight titlist Oscar Valdez at the MGM Grand Conference Center in Las Vegas on Saturday. The bout will headline a stacked Top Rank card that will begin with prelims at 6:30 p.m. ET on ESPN+. The main card will start at 10 p.m. ET on ESPN and ESPN+.

Berchelt (38-1, 34 KOs) won the title by defeating Francisco Vargas in a thrilling 11th-round knockout in 2017. At the time of the stoppage, two judges had Berchelt ahead 96-94 and the other had it 95-95.

Berchelt has defended the belt six times, including a sixth-round TKO over Vargas in the rematch two years later. Berchelt fought once in 2020, a TKO victory over Eleazar Valenzuela in a non-title fight in Mexico in August.

Valdez (28-0, 22 KOs) is a former featherweight world titleholder. He defeated Matias Carlos Adrian Rueda in 2016 to win the WBO belt and made six straight defenses, including an epic battle with Scott Quigg in which Valdez suffered a broken jaw in the fifth round but finished the fight to win a unanimous decision. Valdez moved up in weight in 2019 and has TKO victories over Adam Lopez and Jayson Velez at 130 pounds.

Both Berchelt and Valdez are undefeated in title fights. The fight was originally scheduled for Dec. 12, but Berchelt tested positive for COVID-19 in November and the bout was postponed. Because of the fighters' style, this could be another must-see fight between Mexican compatriots, a list that includes formidable battles between Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez in their first fight in 2007, and Erik Morales-Marco Antonio Barrera 1 in 2000.

The Berchelt-Valdez fight card broadcast on ESPN and ESPN+ will begin at 10 p.m. ET on Saturday. The main card includes Gabriel Flores Jr. vs. Jayson Velez in 10-round junior lightweight battle.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/30918486/miguel-berchelt-vs-oscar-valdez-how-watch-fight-espn

Im expecting a Barrera vs Morales type of fight, I know Valdez is going to get duped into a fight with Berchelt

I don't want to bet on this because I have this weird gut feeling that Berchelt is gonna age overnight, even though I think he'll probably beat the piss out of Valdez otherwise.

I'm guessing the UFC should be over by the Main Event here... and hopefully Showtime will run long with the Broner vs Santiago promo to end the night...

<GinJuice>

This is gonna be a banger !!
No question. Call your friends. This is one of those bouts where I texted a handful of casuals I've known for many years.
"ESPN at 10PM tonight. Do not miss."

This is gonna be awesome for as long as it lasts. I do not see this one going the distance. Berchelt is an absolute monster and Valdez is unbeaten and has tons of talent. If he can stay vertical I think he has a good shot, but my money would be on Berchelt.

I don't want to bet on this because I have this weird gut feeling that Berchelt is gonna age overnight, even though I think he'll probably beat the piss out of Valdez otherwise.
He is 29. I've never known of any fighter ageing in their 20's.

Top Rank kicking off in a little more than 2 hours on ESPN or ESPN +...

Back