Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angela Lee's 14-15 year old sister nabbed a gold medal at this event.

Kelly McGill vs Maegan Goodwin, Invicta FC 9
images

That’s McGill, covered in Goodwin’s blood.
yeah that was a good one. Alexa Grasso vs Jodie Esquibel comes to mind when i see that pic

I've never seen Alpar fight, but I saw Young in Invicta. She had amazing dexterity with kicks, using them almost like other fighters use jabs. She still lost, though, Lisa Spangler basically out-toughed her.
I hadn’t really seen Alpar fight either, but she actually looked pretty good. She has some decent power in her hands, understood she was at a reach disadvantage and what to do about it, and her wrestling was better than a lot of girls at 135. She might benefit from a move to 125, but I feel like she could compete in either division, and be ok.

Shanna Young looked improved from the Spangler fight, but in both fights her opponents were able to find her chin, and repeatedly knock her off balance. She’s worked hard to increase her explosiveness, and diversify her striking, but now she probably needs to learn how to calm down when striking, and incorporate her wrestling back into her style.

This is very interesting. This is kind of a genius move by the UFC. Give Katlyn a home fight in NY(Makes her Happy). This will also put her out of time range for a title fight. Valentina says she wants to fight once more before the year is done and since she is the champ it will most likely happen. So that title fight would most likely be against Andrea vs JoJo winner. The winner of Katlyn vs Maia would then be the second title defense.

Last edited:

This is very interesting. This is kind of a genius move by the UFC. Give Katlyn a home fight in NY(Makes her Happy). This will also put her out of time range for a title fight. Valentina says she wants to fight once more before the year is done and since she is the champ it will most likely happen. So that title fight would most likely be vs Andrea vs JoJo winner. The winner of Katlyn vs Maia would then be the second title defense.

I started a thread in the main section about the time you were posting here:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...d-to-ufc-244-in-new-york-november-2nd.3999189

This is very interesting. This is kind of a genius move by the UFC. Give Katlyn a home fight in NY(Makes her Happy). This will also put her out of time range for a title fight. Valentina says she wants to fight once more before the year is done and since she is the champ it will most likely happen. So that title fight would most likely be against Andrea vs JoJo winner. The winner of Katlyn vs Maia would then be the second title defense.
Valentina won't fight this year, predictable move by UFC.

Valentina won't fight this year, predictable move by UFC.
listening to her interviews, it sounds like she'd like one more fight this year.
i don't think she or the UFC really cares if it's against the no.2 ranked or the no.4/5 ranked

listening to her interviews, it sounds like she'd like one more fight this year.
i don't think she or the UFC really cares if it's against the no.2 ranked or the no.4/5 ranked
It's not about what she wants, her stock dropped after last fight and bookings in division are not generous for idea she will fight this year. There is only one option for her: Roxane Modafferi. I'm fan of Roxy but that's not going to happen. All other top 10 fighters are booked. People talking about winner of Calderwood/Lee - very unlikely, because Calderwoo produces dull fights and Lee has not TD, so Valentina will LnP half of fight (and fight is in September).
I can imagine there was idea about booking her vs Chookingan in New York, but it won't happen.Almost no chance for third fight vs Nunes, but it's like only available option for Shevchenko right now, if she wants this fight, but...she said in interview that she wants to face Chookingan or Maia this year, and UFC booked both them in NY, so...

It's not about what she wants, her stock dropped after last fight and bookings in division are not generous for idea she will fight this year. There is only one option for her: Roxane Modafferi. I'm fan of Roxy but that's not going to happen. All other top 10 fighters are booked. People talking about winner of Calderwood/Lee - very unlikely, because Calderwoo produces dull fights and Lee has not TD, so Valentina will LnP half of fight (and fight is in September).
I can imagine there was idea about booking her vs Chookingan in New York, but it won't happen.Almost no chance for third fight vs Nunes, but it's like only available option for Shevchenko right now, if she wants this fight, but...she said in interview that she wants to face Chookingan or Maia this year, and UFC booked both them in NY, so...
of course it's about what she wants, because it aligns with what UFC wants: active champions to fill their cards. her stock didn't drop much. she had the best KO in wmma history in her previous fight, and won dominantly against Liz even if it was uneventful. it happens. she's finished 2 of 4 FLW fights and had a banger dec. fight against Joanna.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.