Okay what the hell happened to Weidman?

TerraRayzing

Little eagle soars again
@Brown
Reaction score
Ignoring the eyepokes, Chris actually looked good. I thought Bruno was going to knock him out fairly quickly but Weidman was getting the better of exchanges and he looked like the Weidman of old.
Did something happen? Did Chris hit a 'second prime' or has Bruno Silva regressed?

Weidman had a good showing, relatively speaking. His gas tank was better and he took some stiff shots without folding. That said, he’s pretty old and incredibly shopworn for how few fights he has. That’s probably as good of a Weidman as we will ever see again.

The Rockhold beating took a lot from him imo. Somewhat similar to JDS after he fought Cain. He had a devastating loss to Romero that sealed the deal for me. If he’s comfortable fighting low end guys and the UFC is willing to out him out there, he will have a couple more fights (barring another injury).

His career really nosedived after an impeccable start. He had an early win over Hall, obliterated Muñoz, decisioned Maia, had Silva's #, beat a very game Machida, and also Vitor.

Things went south quickly.

Last edited:
Dying from exhaustion against Rockhold and getting kneed in the face by Romero and Mousasi, then getting knocked out by a forehead strike (?!) from Jacare and his ankle destroyed in a Hall fight. That's what happened to Weidman.

Dying from exhaustion against Rockhold and getting kneed in the face by Romero and Mousasi, then getting knocked out by a forehead strike (?!) from Jacare and his ankle destroyed in a Hall fight. That's what happened to Weidman.
He didn't die from exhaustion, He got the everloving fuck beat out of him by rockhold.

Bruno Silva came into the Octagon having lost 4 of his last 5 fights. Most likely the UFC will let him get another shot considering how badly he got fouled, but I predict Bruno is out of the UFC in 2025.

So Chris fought a losing streak, aging guy with one foot out the door - and he fouled him pretty egregiously multiple times.

I think Chris showed good fight IQ and took some good shots, his orbital might be busted. Nothing about that performance makes me think he's going to fair well in his next fight. This was a good softball to throw him and he eeked by with a bunch of fouls.

Silva was probably expecting Weidman to grapple and not stand up with him as much as he did, which made the threat of the takedown all the more effective. But Weidman also looked pretty good considering his situation.

Last edited:
Ignoring the eyepokes, Chris actually looked good. I thought Bruno was going to knock him out fairly quickly but Weidman was getting the better of exchanges and he looked like the Weidman of old.
Did something happen? Did Chris hit a 'second prime' or has Bruno Silva regressed?
he looked good because he was cheating from the very beginning of the fight.

Weidman started throwing pokes pretty egregiously after getting lit up in the first. My guess is that Bruno was a little tentative to commit to exchanges and advances because of it.
Look at Shields vs GSP. GSP got hit with a nasty eye poke pretty early and couldn't see well after. Shields' striking and performance looked better as a result.

The Weidman downfall is overrated I think, he is 3-4 in his last 7 fights... he is not Tony where he is 0-7. Chris is still winning fights and even one of the losses was not even a fight.. he broke his leg in 10 seconds, there was no "fight".

I'm not saying he is champion material, he is clearly not, his best days are behind him, but I think how bad he looks is being way over blown most of the time, its hyperbole. He has always been slow and a bit stiff.. even when he was undefeated he was quite slow to be fair. He is older now and too inactive, but he ain't Tony, he still wins fights

Back