Olympic Boxing thread: Every night Starting 7/23.

Thanks for your nuanced answer. What you say makes a lot of sense. I figured it must be hard to be that good at head movement like Tyson.

I wasn't impressed with Torrez in his first match at the games. It was the first time I saw him, I thought he was just a brawling pressure fighter. But he looked tough. So when I found out he'd be flatlined by Jalolov (at the Worlds) it was a surprise. I'm glad he came through the final relatively unscathed though but I had a feeling he wouldn't get KO'd this time. I think he'll make a good pro. Him versus Joyce would be an interesting fight. As for his chin, I think he'll be ok until he comes up against the big hitters. I'm certain that Jalolov is one of them.

Torres has most certainly improved, but I think he had a favourable draw in the Olympics. Most of the better fighters were on jalolovs side of the draw.
I think he’ll continue to make improvements as he steps up to pro.

Torres has most certainly improved, but I think he had a favourable draw in the Olympics. Most of the better fighters were on jalolovs side of the draw.
I think he’ll continue to make improvements as he steps up to pro.
Yeah he had the easiest route. Jalolov got a bit of luck himself though. His biggest threat Aliev got himself DQ'd for use of the head and Clark got stopped early due to a nasty cut he got from that same bout although he was losing against Jalolov.

I don't think Torrez is going to be the next Tyson but I think the reason I like him is because of the Joyce effect. He looks like he shouldn't be any good but he still comes through and does the job. He's a short tubby guy fighting behemoths but he hits hard and has a great engine. I think he'll always struggle against the big elite HW's but he'll be a handful for the tier below that.

Yeah he had the easiest route.
I will not tell that easiest route because a lot of countries in ams does have lads who are 100% fulltime in boxing, if they get medals, there are premiums etc perks.

Ams with medals at continental, world, Olympic medals are very lucrative for managers, promoters to contract with, even if with signup bonuses.
U.K and US managers and promoters too does have this stuff.
I will not mention here so directly about US managers and proms.
If about U.K : Eddie looks that always had been interested in such prospects, then there is Frank and now MTK, ol Bob from U.S too had signed some boxers from Western euro ( this means also UK / IRL ).

i think you called it pretty well dude. My only surprise was HW. I couldn’t really see past jalolov for the gold. Aliev is a good fighter, as is Fraser Clark, but they’re both a level below jalolov
yeah the flyweight division was the one I'm bummed about. Hu didn't even medal, though I guess he'd been inactive for a while. My second guess (Palaam) also lost, but he at least got silver.

Yeah he had the easiest route. Jalolov got a bit of luck himself though. His biggest threat Aliev got himself DQ'd for use of the head and Clark got stopped early due to a nasty cut he got from that same bout although he was losing against Jalolov.

I don't think Torrez is going to be the next Tyson but I think the reason I like him is because of the Joyce effect. He looks like he shouldn't be any good but he still comes through and does the job. He's a short tubby guy fighting behemoths but he hits hard and has a great engine. I think he'll always struggle against the big elite HW's but he'll be a handful for the tier below that.

aliev had no one to blame but himself. He was doing the same when they fought in Paris a couple of months before. Clark said that was the 5th cut he had in 4 fights against him. All caused by the head
Unfortunately that QF matchup ended any real chance of Clark beating jalolov, because of those cuts

I’m not sure Torres is gonna be a top fighter at HW, but I think he’s gonna be fun to watch. But what do I know; I thought big joe was gonna struggle at HW. Turns out he’s got cardio for days and one of the best chins in the division

aliev had no one to blame but himself. He was doing the same when they fought in Paris a couple of months before. Clark said that was the 5th cut he had in 4 fights against him. All caused by the head
Unfortunately that QF matchup ended any real chance of Clark beating jalolov, because of those cuts

I’m not sure Torres is gonna be a top fighter at HW, but I think he’s gonna be fun to watch. But what do I know; I thought big joe was gonna struggle at HW. Turns out he’s got cardio for days and one of the best chins in the division
I didn't know that about Aliev. I actually felt a bit sorry for him when he got DQ but not now knowing he has form. Makes his little protest seem even sillier.

Back