Olympics Megathread

{<doc}

sure I’ll take your opinion over the opinion of an expert. How many Olympic teams have you coached before?

He's coached as many Olympic handball teams as Javier Garcia Cuesta: zero.

One moment you're saying Olympic handball is rec league level, the next you're acting like somebody who's never coached past the qualification phase is some irrefutable oracle of wisdom on the game.

Cuesta is probably just an attention whore and knows that the easiest way to make mainstream sports news in America is to mention LeBron James.

He's coached as many Olympic handball teams as Javier Garcia Cuesta: zero.
One moment you're saying Olympic handball is rec league level, the next you're acting like somebody who's never coached past the qualification phase is some irrefutable oracle of wisdom on the game.
Cuesta is probably just an attention whore and knew that his only opportunity of making mainstream sports news in America was to mention LeBron.

I could have followed a conversation with you about the skill of the sport, but once you begin to argue that, not only are handball players as athletic as NBA or NFL players, but as All-Star or Pro Bowlers you’ve completely lost me.

You claimed it would take 50-60 years of concerted effort for the US to medal in Handball. That’s as absurd a statement as I can even imagine when it comes to Olympic sport. My claim would be that within 1-2 Olympic cycles, if we fielded our best athletes, we’d easily win gold.

EDIT: apologies as I confused you with the other avid handball fan.

I could have followed a conversation with you about the skill of the sport, but once you begin to argue that, not only are handball players as athletic as NBA or NFL players, but as All-Star or Pro Bowlers you’ve completely lost me.

You claimed it would take 50-60 years of concerted effort for the US to medal in Handball. That’s as absurd a statement as I can even imagine when it comes to Olympic sport. My claim would be that within 1-2 Olympic cycles, if we fielded our best athletes, we’d easily win gold.

EDIT: apologies as I confused you with the other avid handball fan.

"50-60 years" was the other guy. I don't agree with that.

But guys like Dirk and Dominique are literally some of the greatest NBA players of all-time, and they come from countries in which handball is more popular than basketball.

Here's a list that ranks 2-time NBA dunk contest winner, Dominique "The Human Highlight Film" Wilkins as the 4th most gifted athlete in NBA history, ahead of LeBron James.

Last edited:
That upset by the Austrian cyclist was spectacular. I caught the last half hour of it.

Racing by herself against powerhouse nations each with four riders working as teams, and she trounced the whole field. Brings Austria its first gold medal in any Summer sport since 2004, and its first cycling medal since 1896. This is what the Olympics is about:
The Math Ph.D. Who Just Shocked Olympic Cycling
im-374835

Goes to show that racing without radios is better than robotron racing where sports directors are shouting in your ear and using weather telemetry and computer models to tell you how hard to ride.

Chapeau to Carapaz and Kiesenhofer for outstanding wins and having massive balls to attack far from teh finish.

Oh - before I forget -- the Dutch national team can go fuck themselves for being D-level sportswomen.

That upset by the Austrian cyclist was spectacular. I caught the last half hour of it.

Racing by herself against powerhouse nations each with four riders working as teams, and she trounced the whole field. Brings Austria its first gold medal in any Summer sport since 2004, and its first cycling medal since 1896. This is what the Olympics is about:
The Math Ph.D. Who Just Shocked Olympic Cycling
im-374835

Having an advance degree and being athlete is not that surprising anymore I live near Brown University I almost cannot turn anywhere an not see people running and looking like sports models. This is not uncommon around Harvard and Yale I am sure the woman my jaw is dropping on the ground at vast majority of them.

Having an advance degree and being athlete is not that surprising anymore I live near Brown University I almost cannot turn anywhere an not see people running and looking like sports models. This is not uncommon around Harvard and Yale I am sure the woman my jaw is dropping on the ground at vast majority of them.
<BidenShutIt>
Nobody said her having an advanced degree was what made that extraordinary (although it certainly adds to it).

As the American commentator kept repeating, it was arguably the greatest upset in cycling history.
Goes to show that racing without radios is better than robotron racing where sports directors are shouting in your ear and using weather telemetry and computer models to tell you how hard to ride.

Chapeau to Carapaz and Kiesenhofer for outstanding wins and having massive balls to attack far from teh finish.

Oh - before I forget -- the Dutch national team can go fuck themselves for being D-level sportswomen.
After the race, it was a bit conspicuous not to casually notice that each of the Dutch riders had thighs that looked like male Olympic weightlifters. Meanwhile, this Austrian women looked positively human in every regard (including her gasping for air for about 2 minutes after collapsing once she crossed the finish line).

<BidenShutIt>
Nobody said her having an advanced degree was what made that extraordinary (although it certainly adds to it).

As the American commentator kept repeating, it was arguably the greatest upset in cycling history.

After the race, it was a bit conspicuous not to casually notice that each of the Dutch riders had thighs that looked like male Olympic weightlifters. Meanwhile, this Austrian women looked positively human in every regard (including her gasping for air for about 2 minutes after collapsing after collapsing once she crossed the finish line).
Why be such a dick? Many athletes I talked to in the running community many world class would say it was very difficult to continue their education when they had to move around the country for training. Now schools make more allowances for them to get the best schooling and training. Many would put off advance education because it would not be possible to continue training and schooling. Stop being such a troll.

Why be such a dick? Many athletes I talked to in the running community many world class would say it was very difficult to continue their education when they had to move around the country for training. Now schools make more allowances for them to get the best schooling and training. Many would put off advance education because it would not be possible to continue training and schooling. Stop being such a troll.
Nobody said that being an athlete with a postgraduate degree is "surprising".

The WSJ referred to her as a math Ph.D., but if you read their article, they don't assert the reason her win "shocked" the world was because she had a postgraduate degree. The reason it shocked the world was because she wasn't expected to finish anywhere close to the Top 10, much less in gold position. She wasn't a listed contender by any publication heading into the race. She's not even pro. She hasn't had a pro contract in 4 years. Good Lord, she doesn't even have a fucking coach. As I mentioned in my brief contribution, she was riding alone. She had no team. Nobody to trade front position to eat the air, and manage energy. She comes from a country that hasn't won a medal in cycling since the seminal Olympic Games of the modern era, over a century and a quarter ago, before airplanes, when a paltry 14 nations showed up to compete. Hell, the guy who won that medal doubled by also competing in fencing. That's how thin competition was the last time an Austrian made the podium in her sport. Her win was so shocking and dominant that the Dutch rider who finished behind her didn't even realize she hadn't won gold. That's how far out in front she was.

You spouted off with an irrelevant pontification in a tone that suggested you were correcting some misguided, preconceived notion about athletes being educated. If you don't want people to be irritated with your input, don't post things that clearly indicate you neither read nor comprehended the material shared. I'm not the asshole. You're just moving your lips for no damn reason.

After the race, it was a bit conspicuous not to casually notice that each of the Dutch riders had thighs that looked like male Olympic weightlifters. Meanwhile, this Austrian women looked positively human in every regard (including her gasping for air for about 2 minutes after collapsing after collapsing once she crossed the finish line).

Dutch women's team has won literally everything the last 10years. Between van Vleuten (who only became dominant in her 30s ... cough, cough), van der Breggen and Vos, they've won just about every major race.

I'm not saying there is anything shady about that.

But it's shady as shit IMO

Same deal with France, and they've produced guys like Dominique Wilkins and Rudy Gobert.

Wilkins was born there but his basketball was the product of the american HS and College programs.

There is a difference with a atlethe representing a country and being the product of that countrys sports programs.

Back