PBP ONE on TNT 4: La Nsang vs De Ridder Apr 28 Disc Thread

What's with ONE's unusual demarcations of weight classes (e.g., 170 as LW limit)? Is there a practical rationale behind it, or do they just do it to be different?

Actually love this matchup.

Good for Sage to avoid strikers and good for Aoki too.

Glad to see Sage back. That is the problem when guys leave the UFC. They often only fight 1 time a year. In Sage's case it will be almost two years. Maybe the injuries and COVID had something to do with that.

Also glad he is at 170. He has no business trying to make 155.

What's with ONE's unusual demarcations of weight classes (e.g., 170 as LW limit)? Is there a practical rationale behind it, or do they just do it to be different?
I heard it is to avoid extreme weight cuts.

Man it would be funny if Sage wins this!

Maybe I'm ignorant. But Aoki always seemed like a small lightweight. And recently Sage has looked almost full on bodybuilder.

Aoki fought Askren at WW but that didn't go well.

They don't allow weight cutting so all the weight classes are shifted up since that is more similar to what guys actually weigh inside the cage when they fight in UFC, Bellator, etc
Like UFC flyweights probably weigh in the 140s at least in the cage after rehydrating, so ONE flyweight is set at 135 instead of 125

Sage may be genuinely the nicest person in all of mma. I've met him in real life and he is one of the friendliest people I've ever come across. A bit cringey at times, sure, but he is genuinely a nice dude.
Does that somehow make him a dork? Weird comment from someone that is always seen sticking up for wmma... Weird matchup as well, but I personally like it.
I like Northcutt, but he is definitely a dork. Seems like a nice enough guy.

I'm just quite surprised that after having his face crushed i his last fight, extensive surgery, titaniumm plates inserted etc.....that Sage WANTS to fight again in MMA. I mean he could (and no doubt does) make a lot of money with other stuff, so ....I just don't quite know why he wants to keep doing this.

Does it work? If so, maybe other orgs should adopt it.
I think it works, they do hydration tests and stuff like that. I don't know exactly how it works but I think NCAA wrestling might do something similar nowadays

You have to respect Sage's courage to get in there again after getting his face shattered.

If "courage" is the appropriate word for it.

Sage is living proof that you can pull mad chicks with the nice guy act.

I LOVE this matchup. I really love it a lot. Aoki might give up some size in weight but it’s not as severe as it appears.
Can Sage stay on his feet and piece up Aoki?

Back