Outdated gaming mechanics.

Invisible walls in open world games.

Look, we all know the world is flat, quit trying to hide the truth and just let my character walk off the edge of the earth already.

Games that have stupidly long cinematics that in some parts require you to press a button/action or walk a few steps up to someone else just for it to continue on.

Just make the fucking thing shorter so I can play the game, not watch it and if I have to sit through something dont make me do meaningless shit.

The roll to dodge mechanic has been played out for a long time.

There also seems to be a resurgence of grappling hooks in games (BF42, Forbidden West, Halo Infinite). Just stop. It hasn't been fun since Tenchu.
Just Cause has the grappling hook too. It's a stupid feature and these game makers think it adds depth to the game. I hate that shit. They built that whole game around a grappling hook

Just Cause has the grappling hook too. It's a stupid feature and these game makers think it adds depth to the game. I hate that shit. They built that whole game around a grappling hook
I'm not sure why @Madmick credits Just Cause, a not all too popular game last released in 2018, for three AAA yet to be released games in 2021 all featuring the grappling hook.

I'm not sure why @Madmick credits Just Cause, a not all too popular game last released in 2018, for three AAA yet to be released games in 2021 all featuring the grappling hook.
Because that series is most famous for it.

Because that series is most famous for it.

In a niche kind of way, yeah. The pros can do some crazy shit with it, but I don't know if I'd attribute any influence to it. The "Batman" games would be where I'd place that bet, but in general, I just think it's a natural tool for traversing in open world games. I don't think there's much to it, other than developers incorporating a mechanic that's a no-brainer for these types of games.

*Guns with little to no recoil compared to real-life.

I get it feels like an action movie when you rapid-fire an entire magazine into an enemy 50 yards away, but in reality the first round would hit the target and every round after it while pulling down the trigger wouldn't get anywhere close to that exact spot.

*Unless the gun you're firing is mounted, but there still is some recoil but less.
*Unless your target is much bigger than a person, like a tank of building.

Oh, and another thing I just remembered.

*Insane amount of ammo you can carry around.

Unless you're Master Chief or Doom Guy the fact your regular-human character can carry around DOZENS of magazines for each of the two or three guns you have is absolutely insane.

Yeah, when you get into the higher calibers of guns and you actually know how much a desert eagle magazine weighs its hard to believe Laura Croft in recent games can carry thirty of them, I believe.

This is what I liked about Black. Guns felt like guns and you could only carry two. Shame it never got a sequel.

Brain-dead daily quest that do nothing but suck your time, but you "have to" do them to keep in-game currency rise

Insane recipes do build objects that require rareobjectx10 + superrareobjectx5 + insanerareobjectx3 resulting in have to play same areas/kill same enemies for hours and hours hoping to win the in-game lottery

Brain-dead daily quest that do nothing but suck your time, but you "have to" do them to keep in-game currency rise

Insane recipes do build objects that require rareobjectx10 + superrareobjectx5 + insanerareobjectx3 resulting in have to play same areas/kill same enemies for hours and hours hoping to win the in-game lottery

On point 1: 100% agree

On point 2: while I see your point, I feel like if the gameplay is really solid then this stuff is actually pretty enjoyable. in my case, I really love the hunting type of games like Horizon, Far Cry and Assassin's Creed. If it feels like a chore then the game didn't implement it very well.

Horizon Zero Dawn is probably the only game I have ever played where I collected all items and did all side missions.. it has the mechanic you are describing but the game is so damn fun to me I don't mind it.

Call me old but I don't think turn based structure is outdated or bad. I think it needs to be matched properly to what you're doing when you make a game but there's a definite time and place for it.

I think the less cutscenes the better. So you can tell I just love Naughty Dog for their cringe-inducing cinematic style. The more a story/plot unfolds through what you're actually doing and encountering like Metroid Prime the better.

Invisible walls in open world games.

Look, we all know the world is flat, quit trying to hide the truth and just let my character walk off the edge of the earth already.
latest

i-VQxCdsH-1738x871.jpg

I don't know if this counts as what you are suggesting but in the Fallout and Skyrim type games, you can collect mushrooms and flowers and roots and all types of shit like butterfly wings and glowing worms and shit. I guess you are supposed to combine them and to this day I don't think I've combined a single recipe unless a mission called for me to do so.

I don't see the need for it especially healing recipes when I can just use magic or whatever to heal.

I've never forged a sword or built a gun. It seems complicated and I just use weapons I find in the game world.

I had that issue with Diablo 3. I maxed my blacksmith and didn't know how to build weapons. I'd have recipes for weapon and the stuff but didn't know how to get my blacksmith to build the equipment

On point 2: while I see your point, I feel like if the gameplay is really solid then this stuff is actually pretty enjoyable. in my case, I really love the hunting type of games like Horizon, Far Cry and Assassin's Creed. If it feels like a chore then the game didn't implement it very well.

Horizon Zero Dawn is probably the only game I have ever played where I collected all items and did all side missions.. it has the mechanic you are describing but the game is so damn fun to me I don't mind it.
Idk, i did'nt played any of the 3, so i can't say

I was thinking more like souls games, where you have that swordsomething+4 and you need to spend whatever amount of hours to do same areas over and over so days after you go to the blacksmith, he turn it into a swordsomething+5 and your dmg pass from 92 to 98

Then do all it again (but more) to turn it into swordsomething+6 and have dmg pass from 98 to 102

No skill, no challenge, no fun, just same shit same over and over
Just think the best/fastest route in terms of time and possible reward and do it

I adore souls games, but that's does'nt increase the experience... sure increase the time i spend there, but not the experience
If anything make me limit the number of run from zero (as create a completely new/different char) that i will do, because the time needed to reach a truly different specialized character with advanced stuff is so much that i will NOT try all the classes/types i would truly like to try

Specially if is a game where you can create very different characters it's quite big kick in replayability's balls

I've never forged a sword or built a gun. It seems complicated and I just use weapons I find in the game world.

I had that issue with Diablo 3. I maxed my blacksmith and didn't know how to build weapons. I'd have recipes for weapon and the stuff but didn't know how to get my blacksmith to build the equipment

to be clear, i'm not against the concept itself
Blacksmith saying "to make that kind of sword i need this and that" in my opinion is cool af way to give context to a gameplay situation

What i'm against is game designer chosing to cheap add hundreds of hours with absolutely disproportionate recipe request to build/power-up shit, like you having to raid same swamp killing each time the 6 giant frogs that are there, so after 300 times you have the "frog eye x10" you needed

Super rare ingredient should be "x1", then if other ingredients are sold in a shop at insane price i will work to gain enough gold... but at least there i'm chosing how to gain it, i'm not forced to raid the same area over and over

Last edited:
Call me old but I don't think turn based structure is outdated or bad. I think it needs to be matched properly to what you're doing when you make a game but there's a definite time and place for it.

I think the less cutscenes the better. So you can tell I just love Naughty Dog for their cringe-inducing cinematic style. The more a story/plot unfolds through what you're actually doing and encountering like Metroid Prime the better.

I'm an RPG guy and have a huge soft spot for old school turn based RPGs. I like a lot of the combat mechanic upgrades over the years but I still really enjoy turn based. There have been some really great turn based RPGs recently so it can certainly still do well in the current market. Persona, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter Stories have been some of my favorite games of the recent years.

Replaying entire sections when you die. I have zero patience for that crap nowadays. It made sense on the NES because you could beat games in single sittings. The challenge was in the difficulty and playing it multiple times. For modern games, I have zero desire to play a big sequence of cut scenes die and then have to do it again.

The Last of Us has the best save system I've ever seen. It saves almost every single minute. That's exactly how it should be.

I don't know if this counts as what you are suggesting but in the Fallout and Skyrim type games, you can collect mushrooms and flowers and roots and all types of shit like butterfly wings and glowing worms and shit. I guess you are supposed to combine them and to this day I don't think I've combined a single recipe unless a mission called for me to do so.

I don't see the need for it especially healing recipes when I can just use magic or whatever to heal.

Monica.

While I don’t know if it’s an “outdated” mechanic, a mechanic I do not like and have no interest in pursuing in basically any rpg is crafting. No fucking thanks. Reminds me of when the Simpsons described how to make hotdogs.

hotdog-hotdoggifs.gif

Back