Outdated gaming mechanics.

Replaying entire sections when you die.

Yeah, you can pretty much chalk that up to "save points". I am so over "save points". I've been playing this "Blasphemous" game for the past little while, and while there is something to pushing through an area to scrape and claw your way to the next save point that is satisfying, it's still annoying. Especially when they serve no purpose, like when there is one before a boss fight that pointlessly sets you back a minute or two from reaching the boss to fight them, with nothing more in your way but a few screens with no enemies, but you have to go through the routine of calling an elevator or whatever, and have to make the short trek back to the boss to give it another go. It begins to deflate your interest, simply due to how irritating it is to walk through a few screens just to get back to a boss that has beaten you a few times. Like, why couldn't the save point be right before the boss so you could just try again immediately? Because fuck you, that's why.

Replaying entire sections when you die. I have zero patience for that crap nowadays. It made sense on the NES because you could beat games in single sittings. The challenge was in the difficulty and playing it multiple times. For modern games, I have zero desire to play a big sequence of cut scenes die and then have to do it again.

The Last of Us has the best save system I've ever seen. It saves almost every single minute. That's exactly how it should be.
I get the argument for savepoints still being in games for challenge reasons - they seem to be common in Souls-like games? - but you could always just not save-cheese. Having to sit through a cut scene before the boss, or even have to tediously mow down grunts before even reaching the boss again, really seems like an unwelcome relic.

Having to use a controller or keyboard or mouse to play a game..

This is the future:

2417392-reverse-128934ks0h.gif

Kinect-fail-600x338.gif

25124.gif

RX43u.gif

Save points is a good one, every game should allow you to save anytime.

Yeah, you can pretty much chalk that up to "save points". I am so over "save points". I've been playing this "Blasphemous" game for the past little while, and while there is something to pushing through an area to scrape and claw your way to the next save point that is satisfying, it's still annoying. Especially when they serve no purpose, like when there is one before a boss fight that pointlessly sets you back a minute or two from reaching the boss to fight them, with nothing more in your way but a few screens with no enemies, but you have to go through the routine of calling an elevator or whatever, and have to make the short trek back to the boss to give it another go. It begins to deflate your interest, simply due to how irritating it is to walk through a few screens just to get back to a boss that has beaten you a few times. Like, why couldn't the save point be right before the boss so you could just try again immediately? Because fuck you, that's why.
Yeah, this drives me nuts

For some optional bosses, or exceptional loot, I can forgive making us go through some difficult trials to get to a boss, like the Blue Smelter demon in Dark Souls 2. Getting to him is half the battle, and he's optional.

For the most part, just put the fucking save point right before it, especially if there's nothing impeding you, or you can easily run past enemies. I've raged quit for less lol

Blood spatter on the "lens".

The blood in your eyes mechanic will always feel silly, but it's certainly improves the pace of shooters over what came before - having random first aid boxes strategically positioned around the level, which resulted in loads of backtracking to find them when you're low on health.

I’d venture to say aliens are more realistic than unlimited running.

Back