Social OxyContin maker’s settlement plan divides victims of opioid crisis. Now it’s up to the Supreme Court

members of the wealthy Sackler family would be exempt from any civil lawsuits. At the same time, they could potentially keep billions of dollars from their profits on OxyContin sales.

recognizing that “no amount of money could fully compensate” victims for the damage caused by the misleading marketing of OxyContin.

While no amount of money could compensate for a loved one lost, I think the billions that the Sacklers made off of their misery is a good start. Anyone in an executive position, on the board, or acting as part of the family collective should personally be subject to further lawsuits. Anything less isn't justice.

Of course.

"Purdue also instructed its pharmaceutical representatives all over the country to tell physicians that oxycontin was not addictive primarily because of its slow-release properties. Purdue told its representatives to tell doctors that only persons with an “addictive personality” became addicts."
Damn....and doctors actually believed that? Crazy

Says the guy who doesn't want the billionaires to be held accountable. Are you actually familiar with the story of what they did?

Yes. I've been familiar with the family for years. They used to own many of the ski resorts in the Northeast US.

You sound like the type that hates people because they're rich.

Pharmaceutical companies used to give Freud and his friends free cocaine and morphine so they would promote the substances to the public and make them more money. OxyContin is just the newest version of the same. Friendly reminder that the pharmaceutical industry is never done scamming you, they just move to the next scam. Everyone apparently becomes amnesiac and blind as far as the current scam is concerned, until it inevitably gets exposed down the line and suddenly everyone agrees it was all so obvious. Rinse and repeat.

Yes. I've been familiar with the family for years. They used to own many of the ski resorts in the Northeast US.

No, but you sound like the type that defends scumbags because they're rich.

And what does them owning ski resorts have to do with what they did here?

Bruh, they (specifically Richard) intentionally lied to doctors about how addictive it really was. If you haven't see Dopesick on Hulu I'd highly suggest watching it.

Bruh, they (specifically Richard) intentionally lied to doctors about how addictive it really was. If you haven't see Dopesick on Hulu I'd highly suggest watching it.

And as I mentioned, pre-2004ish, I understand that there was a problem but the vast majority of OxyContin popularity and abuse came well after everyone knew better.

No, but you sound like the type that defends scumbags because they're rich.

And what does them owning ski resorts have to do with what they did here?

I'm a personal responsibility type person because I can control myself and my family and that's about it.

And as I mentioned, pre-2004ish, I understand that there was a problem but the vast majority of OxyContin popularity and abuse came well after everyone knew better.
That's what I thought too, but I guess the argument is that things wouldn't have gotten so bad if they hadn't started out pushing it as safe.

You really should watch Dopesick. They knew in 1999 about how easy it was to remove the timed release coating and did nothing about it and that their "less than 1%" claim was BS (as well as each dose supposedly lasting 12 hours).

I did not know who the Sacklers were until I read the book: "The House of Pain"

Basically, the Sacklers hired highly paid sales people to push the product. They said it was safe when it was not. The main thing they did was bribe the doctors to push their product.

Then they were forced into bankruptcy due to lawsuits. So they took billions from the company into their own personal pockets and bankrupted the company.

I've been told by some pretty intelligent war room posters that you are an idiot if you don't trust your doctor because he's the professional and teh science is teh science.

I've been told by some pretty intelligent war room posters that you are an idiot if you don't trust your doctor because he's the professional and teh science is teh science.
I remember back during the Sweet and Sour Sniffles "Pandemic"...I told them my doctor thought that the general public "Masking" was foolish and would only do more harm then good and they yelled "Not Her Science"....reeeeeeeeeeeeee

Guess the verdict will depend on how much Clarence Thomas pockets from this

Pharmaceutical companies used to give Freud and his friends free cocaine and morphine so they would promote the substances to the public and make them more money. OxyContin is just the newest version of the same. Friendly reminder that the pharmaceutical industry is never done scamming you, they just move to the next scam. Everyone apparently becomes amnesiac and blind as far as the current scam is concerned, until it inevitably gets exposed down the line and suddenly everyone agrees it was all so obvious. Rinse and repeat.
Honest question , not coming at you .do you put the “ jab “ as the latest scam ?

Back