Path to the Black Belt

Thurs
90 min no-gi BJJ

Worked on arm bar escape, some takedown stuff off the arm drag...
Went with an older, big-ish blue belt who fucked me up. Totally dominated and tapped me twice.
Then I went with one of the best super heavyweight brown belts in our gym and heel hooked the fuck out of him.

Belts don't make any sense.

Fri

Shoulders/traps/neck
sprint training

Got some bloodwork done and my lipids and liver enzymes are in the trash. Guess I can't eat pizza and donuts all the time anymore

Sat

12 minute incline run, sit ups and bodyweight squats

0 minutes BJJ

Drove to the gym for open mat but it was closed due to a tournament today :(

Vegas

Had a work conference so I trained at Cobra Kai for 4 hours of jiu-jitsu, half no-gi half gi. They had some really skilled guys. I got tapped by a smaller wrestler/purple belt with a heel hook and one heavy weight brown belt tapped me over a dozen times and did whatever he wanted. Dude had only been training 6 years with prior wrestling but holy shit he was very very good. Helped me with some tips and questions I had too.

Tapped one of their black belts with a triangle and a brown belt instructor with a toe hold, not receiving any subs in return from anyone except the purple belt and brown belt I mentioned above. Had some very tough rolls against purple belts who mauled me but I survived and had some good back and forth. Overall I was happy to train with those guys. it was chill, relaxed and everyone was friendly and good at jiu-jitsu.

Then I came back and did open mat at the checkmat affiliate near me yesterday. Did 7 or 8 five-minute rounds against a black belt, several purples and a blue belt. Cardio was a little rough but I hung in there and did well.

Wrist tendonitis is very slowly recovering with a lot of joint supplements and no curls at the gym.

I didn't track macros while traveling and lost a few pounds. My strength in the gym has taken a hit too :((

Fri
Shoulders and traps & sprinting

Sat
60 minutes gi BJJ, rolling

Sun
Pecs and bis

Mon
Legs
90 minutes gi BJJ

Tues
90 minutes gi BJJ

Feeling good, nothing too crazy to note. Not getting any more injured which is nice.

Weds

Back and Tris

I don't think I've been eating enough. My lifts and bodyweight are down. Took a pre-workout today and felt good otherwise

90 min no-gi

This was a toughhh morning of training. Went two rounds with a 3rd degree BB, another 3rd degree BB, one of our best non-black belts in the gym, and a brown belt.

Got tooled up by the BBs but took away several good lessons from them. I always ask black belts what I did wrong, what I can do better.

Tapped the brown belt twice, and tapped the other guy, one of our best competitors, for the first time with a knee bar. Started with a toe hold, he defended and while he was defending I snaked my legs around his leg and transitioned to a knee bar that took a long time to finish.

After that he LIT ME UP for the rest of the round. Insane intensity and tapped me like 7 times in 3 minutes.

So this was a both humbling and motivating class. I learned a lot and feel like I must be getting better if I can finally tap that one dude. Phew ok rest day tmw

Fri
Shoulders traps and neck

Saturday
Sprinting and sauna

Went to two different BJJ gyms for typical Saturday open mats but they were both closed due to tournaments. Fucking BJJ in southern california man. There's a tournament every fucking weekend sometimes...

Sun
Pecs and bi's

There was a sexy girl at the gym doing back hand springs and cheerleader moves in tiny black booty shorts

Mon

Legs
Treadmill incline sprints

Horrible sleep 2 days in a row. Phenibut is out, leads to rebound insomnia, sometimes. Also don't watch game of thrones in full brightness on your laptop for 90 min right before bed.

Tues

90 min gi BJJ

Went with a black belt, brown belt, two white belts and two blue belts. Did a lot of sparring from spider guard and then free rolling.

One of the white belts tapped me! First time meeting this guy, about 230lbs of pure muscle, high school wrestler and collegiate shot putter. His strength was immense. I swept and submitted him twice but once he got on top of me, I was fucked. Caught me with a key lock/americana

Weds

Tri's/Back

60 min gi BJJ

Just drilled today. Really good class on mount escapes.

Thurs

60 min no-gi BJJ

60 min gi BJJ

Good back to back classes at my old gym in Arizona. Had some great rolls with different styles and body types that I'm not used to training with.

Fri

Shoulders and traps. Nobody showed up to morning open mat :((

Saturday

Sprints and sauna. Had to drive home to Cali so no open mat :((

Sun

Pecs and Bis

So happy to be almost injury-free. My thumb is healing up slowly but surely. It's almost no factor in rolling anymore but there are still a few things I can't do without pain/aggravation.

90 min gi BJJ

Worked on some mount escapes and some bottom stuff. Very knowledgeable 3rd degree BB taught class.

Tues
60 min gi rolling

Went with a couple of black belts, a brown belt and a worlds competitor blue belt for an hour of rolling. 6 and 8 minute rounds. Tapped the black belts and got tapped by the blue belt.

Legs/Cardio/Sauna

Weds
Back/triceps

Thurs

90 min gi BJJ

Did some technique drilling and rolling off the wall, first to score points from the feet. I did not do very well with this.
Then did a few rounds with a variety of skill levels.

One huge thing of note: I tapped a heavyweight 3rd degree black belt today for the first time ever (toe hold). I think he may have given me an easy sweep when I pulled guard, but once I started attacking his legs he wasn't having any of it. Toe holds, the great equalizer.

Fri
Shoulders and traps

30 min BJJ, just drilling

Sat

45 min BJJ just rolling

I need to do my conditioning sessions consistently. Cardio was sucking today

Mon

80-90 min rolling, holiday open mat

Legs

Tues

90 min gi BJJ

Weds