Pesto

So @genecop
Last night.
I had some of the green tops of carrots, basil, Parmesan, toasted some cashews, pine nuts and pistachios, garlic, EVOO, salt and pepper.

I’ve been making pesto out of all sorts of greens for years but this is the nicest pesto I’ve ever had, the cashews made it really creamy.

I have enough to make crispy chicken with pesto and melted fontina sandwiches
upload_2021-10-12_15-17-55.jpeg
upload_2021-10-12_15-17-55.jpeg

So @genecop
Last night.
I had some of the green tops of carrots, basil, Parmesan, toasted some cashews, pine nuts and pistachios, garlic, EVOO, salt and pepper.

I’ve been making pesto out of all sorts of greens for years but this is the nicest pesto I’ve ever had, the cashews made it really creamy.

View attachment 884536
View attachment 884536

Stop digging up old pesto.......

Looks yummy.

So @genecop
Last night.

View attachment 884536
View attachment 884536

Looks incredible…

I haven't cooked it yet but had spare rocket, basil and nuts so made a new pesto.

Rocket
Basil
Toasted pine nuts
Pecan nuts
Toasted almonds
Parmesan
EVOO
S&P

So @genecop
Last night.

View attachment 884536
View attachment 884536
This looks really great. I almost don't recognize you with the new name haha.

This looks really great. I almost don't recognize you with the new name haha.
Try my last one! I haven't actually cooked with it yet but the awesome thing with pesto is use what you have. So long as you have nuts, parmesan, basil and a garlic element bung anything you have in. Cashews are a must have for me now with the creaminess but I always have them knocking around for various Asian dishes so I'm not going out of my way to buy them JUST for pesto.

You guys are too advanced for me. I am jar gang.

@genecop
New creation, leftovers from pork chive dumplings

Chinese garlic chives
Basil
Parmesan
Peas
Cashews
Pistachios
Almonds
Pine nuts
EVOO
Pepper

I just made spinach + feta + 1 teaspoon cream cheese + 1 teaspoon of honey mustard + chicken

spfc.jpg

Use a mortar and pestle. Food processor ruins the flavour of the garlic and basil. Fucks up the texture too.
If you blast it. That's what pulsing is for.
I overworked mine yesterday with the Chinese chives being really garlicky. I was adding stem by stem. I normally get mine done within a couple of minutes after toasting the nuts.

I just made spinach + feta + 1 teaspoon cream cheese + 1 teaspoon of honey mustard + chicken

spfc.jpg
Feta and honey are perfect, whipped ricotta with honey the same.

Hello again, dear old friend.

Feta and honey are perfect, whipped ricotta with honey the same.

Hello again, dear old friend.
noted.

hope alls well & all's swell 'cuffs.

I love pesto and make it all the time. If you mess up and make a dark batch, it really doesn’t matter. Once you mix it into the pasta it usually always looks the same.

A couple tips I’ve picked up over the years: - add the cheese last and mix it in by hand, not with a food processor or blender.
- a little squeeze of lemon will help keep a bright color and doesn’t affect the taste.
- I usually add some fresh tomato and olive to the pasta I eat with pesto. Roast cauliflower is good too. Makes it somewhat more satisfying to me as a meal.
- finally, I recently discovered Calabrian pesto and it’s incredible. It’s nothing like the familiar Genoa pesto we know. There are a thousand recipes too, of course. Everyone’s grandmother has the correct one. But the basics of it seem to be roasted red pepper, Calabrian chili peppers (which are awesome), almonds, garlic or onion, and a little tomato. Some recipes call for ricotta or cream but I don’t think you need it, esp as you add some pecorino or parm at the end. Look it up - it’s fantastic

Last edited:
Ooooohhh, it's asparagus. I thought it was pesto.

hqdefault.jpg

Back