Media Petr Yan: "Chito Got Title Shot Because O'Malley Doesn't Believe He Can Beat Other Contenders."

Substance Abuse

Aldo's Burgers Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

This Saturday, Yan faces Song Yadong on the main card of UFC 299, taking place at the Kaseya Center in Miami. The event is headlined by a bantamweight title fight between new champ Sean O’Malley and his longtime rival Marlon Vera. It’s a fight that some fans took issue with, as Vera lost a decision to Cory Sandhagen a year ago. Yan shares those feelings.

“I think Marlon Vera got a gift, got gifted this title shot because he lost to Cory Sandhagen,” Yan said through a translator at UFC 299 media day. “Obviously it’s not for me to decide who is the title challenger, but I’m seriously in the mood to get back for the title race.

“Sean just picked contenders that he can beat because he doesn’t believe he can beat any other top contenders in the division. And just to remind everyone how he got his title shot, he got gifted a decision against me.”

O’Malley took home a contentious split decision over Yan at UFC 280 that propelled him into his title shot against Aljamain Sterling at UFC 292, which he won by knockout. Meanwhile, Yan lost to Merab Dvalishvili in his next fight.

After this weekend he’s hoping to get one — or both — of those losses back.

“To be honest, I’m interested in rematches,” Yan said. “In the fights that I lost or in the fights that I won, but was announced as the loser. So I’m interested in Sean and Merab.”

First thing’s first, though, Yan has to get through Song Yadong. The 26-year-old Chinese bantamweight is currently the No. 12 ranked bantamweight in the MMA Fighting Global Rankings and is coming off back-to-back wins in 2023.

For Yan, who is currently on a three-fight losing streak, this is a pivotal weekend for the future of his career, and he’s preparing to show out on Saturday to put himself back in the title conversation.

“Song is young and hungry opponent,” Yan said. “For me it’s an opportunity first of all to prove to myself that I have the skills to win and get back in the title picture.

“I don’t want to look behind Song’s back. He’s a good opponent, but I’m willing to bring him back to school.”

Link: Yan Talks Chito Title Shot, Rematches, Song Fight

He's right. Doesn't change anything.

Hopefully he shows up strong this weekend.

For some reason I thought yan got cut and was in bellator or something, totally forgot he was in the ufc

I've nothing against Yan. Enjoy his style. I didn't have a problem with the O'Malley decision. I feel like the highest levels of the game are passing Yan's fight IQ by. Maybe he'll prove me wrong this weekend. He could sure use a finish win.

Well he beat you

giphy.gif

I've nothing against Yan. Enjoy his style. I didn't have a problem with the O'Malley decision. I feel like the highest levels of the game are passing Yan's fight IQ by. Maybe he'll prove me wrong this weekend. He could sure use a finish win.

It's possible, but he did defend 38 of Merab's 49 (!!!) TD attempts; was robbed in the O'Malley fight in my opinion; and lost a close fight against Aljo in their second bout due to two takedowns. It isn't like he's being routed here, and his last three losses are to the best guys in the division while he's got a clear win over Sandhagen. He may be fading and could definitely lose to Song who's probably a better athlete and a lot quicker and when you take into account how slow he starts it's even more feasible, but I still think he's a damn good fighter.

It's possible, but he did defend 38 of Merab's 49 (!!!) TD attempts; was robbed in the O'Malley fight in my opinion; and lost a close fight against Aljo in their second bout due to two takedowns. It isn't like he's being routed here, and his last three losses are to the best guys in the division while he's got a clear win over Sandhagen. He may be fading and could definitely lose to Song who's probably a better athlete and a lot quicker and when you take into account how slow he starts it's even more feasible, but I still think he's a damn good fighter.
Song might be the most favorable matchup since O'Malley. Athleticism and skill are all there, but I feel like mentally he's playing right into traps set for him, that can really cost him.

It makes me laugh, obviously he's not wrong, but his way of shitting on both guys with that statement just reminds me of how tragic his trajectory has been for the last couple of years, and how it's been one long wailing since he kneed Sterling in the head. Since then, supposedly questionable decisions against him have been like a running gag, and I feel bad for laughing at it, but making him fight Dvalishvili was the icing on the cake, someone up there is actually hating that guy. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if his Saturday fight got stopped because an angry Chinese throwed him a trout, or something equally fishy.

Yan - "I’m seriously in the mood to get back for the title race."

Yan has lost 3 in a row and 4 of his past 5. He should be more concerned with staying on the roster.
It is the most deceptive 1-4 ever when you look into context. The only fight which he clearly lost is against Merab. He won't be out of the UFC if he loses unless he wants to.

I just want to say, well written substance abuse! You hit all of the main talking points in the original post. I think O'Malley and Yan was close and watching it live I literally said to my wife, O'Malley might Have won... Saying O'Malley never fought anyone though is slightly biased as he knocked out the guy who beat Yan and Cejudo... this fight is revenge not a fear of contenders... but hey, Chito could win this he's tough as nails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back