Potential migrations to 165 and 175 if these are introduced

And here is the fights per division last year.

Fights

• 520 Total Fights (including catchweight bouts) – The lightweight division had the most fights in 2023 with 77.
    • Heavyweight: 35
    • Light Heavyweight: 35
    • Middleweight: 56
    • Welterweight: 61
    • Lightweight: 77
    • Featherweight: 60
    • Bantamweight: 55
    • Flyweight: 38
    • Catchweight: 9
    • Women’s Featherweight: 4
    • Women’s Bantamweight: 19
    • Women’s Flyweight: 34
    • Women’s Strawweight: 35
    • Women’s Catchweight: 2

There's a ton of good fighters on the local circuits who will never fight in the UFC at LW or WW because they can't make top 15. You could easily boost those numbers by bringing in more fighters to fill out the ranks of 155/165/175. Its not like HW where a good HW comes along once every 5 years. You could poach from other organizations more easily too.

Then they’ll just hand the title over to Conor and his fanboys will all muster together “cHaMp ChAmP cHaMp gOaT” only to never defend.

Lightweight and welterweight are traditionally the two most stacked divisions in the UFC, why do you people want to ruin that by continuimg to bring up this crackpot idea? It's all the Shmo's fault.

(which is the only logical way to put him for main event of 300 as there are two title fights booked already)
what? There have been countless huge PPVs with a main event not for a title

1706645782859.png
1706645895597.png

what? There have been countless huge PPVs with a main event not for a title

View attachment 1026952
View attachment 1026953
Yes. But I don't remember an instance where a non-title fight would be a main event with title fights below it on the same card. I mean if they are putting Conor on this one as main event with title fights which are already announced, it has to be a title fight too according to unwritten rules of card making.. but who knows they can make an exception for Conor here ..

I think this is is happening, with conor vs chandler fighting for the inagural belt as 300's ME. As some have already said, there's enough depth between 155 and 170 to make it work. Besides, ever since wme took over, ufc wants as many events inside the calendar year as possible, and they need as many belts the can to headline rather watered down cards. They can do with one more belt, and more chances to pull champ vs champ fights. This is happening

What a dumpster of a ME for 300

Not happening. Not today, tomorrow, or any other time in the future. It’s a horrible idea, and always has been, imo.
It makes no sense to add 5lb difference weights and this would only thin the divisions out. The only divisions I could see being added are Super HW if there's another year they pick up a bunch of NFL rejects, or 195 (Franklinweight)

It makes no sense to add 5lb difference weights and this would only thin the divisions out. The only divisions I could see being added are Super HW if there's another year they pick up a bunch of NFL rejects, or 195 (Franklinweight)

You realize if they make 165, they're going to bump 170 up to 175 right? The point is to have weight limits every 10 lbs, which makes a ton of sense. 15 lbs gaps from 155 to 170, and 170 to 185 are way too big.

That's what we need, more titles and less fighters to compete for them

You realize if they make 165, they're going to bump 170 up to 175 right? The point is to have weight limits every 10 lbs, which makes a ton of sense. 15 lbs gaps from 155 to 170, and 170 to 185 are way too big.
Okay, but what about 185-205? That's a 20lb difference. Now do LHW-HW, a 60lb difference. Are we adding 8 new weight classes so we have a 10lb difference between each?

Okay, but what about 185-205? That's a 20lb difference. Now do LHW-HW, a 60lb difference. Are we adding 8 new weight classes so we have a 10lb difference between each?

This question has been brought up since weight classes were created and the general answer seems to be that weight matters less the higher you go?

Personally I've never understood that logic

60 lbs is 60 lbs

Case anyone is curious on numbers (most recent I found). It's a year out now though but should represent reasonably.

How Many Fighters in Each UFC Division?​

We can break this down into weight classes across the entire UFC full roster (including those who have signed but have yet to debut, and those currently suspended).

So, as of January 2023, this is how many fighters are in each UFC division:

DivisionFighters
Flyweight38
Bantamweight69
Featherweight70
Lightweight75
Welterweight70
Middleweight65
Light Heavyweight34
Heavyweight39
Women’s Strawweight41
Women’s Flyweight38
Women’s Bantamweight24
Women’s Featherweight7
Total578
Last Updated: 22 January 2023

75 fighters in one division in one promotion is actually insane. LW and WW could definitely afford to lose some fighters

So if rumours about Conor fighting at 300 for an inaugural title fight at 165 are true (which is the only logical way to put him for main event of 300 as there are two title fights booked already), or if this is introduced at a later date, then what kind of fighter migrations this could result in?

Logically, majority of fighters migrating to 165 will be the ones that are currently competing at 155 at 170.

In this scenario I think Islam would definitely move to 165 (especially to challenge Conor if he's the champ) as there are no current 170s that would be a threat to him at 165 and he'd like the idea of not having to cut that much weight anymore.
With the champ moving away from 155, the majority of 155 elites will stay there to fight for the vacant title. However Poirier is highly likely to move up if he loses to BSD.
The mid-tier 155ers will migrate to 165 for a better chance at gold as they don't seem to be good enough to get past Oliveira, Gaethje and Poirier still.

Colby would definitely move to 165 as he is unlikely to ever compete for the belt at 170 (which will become 175).
Burns would be very likely to move down to 165 as he is a small WW.

Khamzat will surely move back down to 175.

Which migrations do you think would occur?
Weight categories are so annoying. First of all, do Kilos, so that it's comparable internationally. Then just do steps of 5 Kg. Then implement that across all combat sports. How do -66Kg, -73Kg and -81Kg make sense in judo ?

165 is a joke. 5 pounds.

177 makes more sense. 195.

I like it the way it is. Without water.

At least make it 162 or 163. 5 pounds is marginal.

75 fighters in one division in one promotion is actually insane. LW and WW could definitely afford to lose some fighters
Heavy guys are a rare commoditi
Case anyone is curious on numbers (most recent I found). It's a year out now though but should represent reasonably.

How Many Fighters in Each UFC Division?​

We can break this down into weight classes across the entire UFC full roster (including those who have signed but have yet to debut, and those currently suspended).

So, as of January 2023, this is how many fighters are in each UFC division:

DivisionFighters
Flyweight38
Bantamweight69
Featherweight70
Lightweight75
Welterweight70
Middleweight65
Light Heavyweight34
Heavyweight39
Women’s Strawweight41
Women’s Flyweight38
Women’s Bantamweight24
Women’s Featherweight7
Total578
Last Updated: 22 January 2023

Heavy guys are a rare commodity

I dont see them introducing both at the same time. They would probably pick one and try it out before doing the other one.

155 into 165 into 175 is better. But still. 155 170 185 is good. Making a 5 pound category is in my world ridicolous.

125 135 145 155 170 185 205 +205
That's 8 and plenty

If you wanna change
125 135 145 155 165 175 185 200 220 +220

But no I like it the way it is. No water

I wouldn't be opposed to a 195 division, but it would be too shallow since it would probably pull a lot of people from 205, which isn't that stacked. It may also pull a few from 185, but its more likely that some guys would drop down.

The attraction with HW is the large weight disparity, so its a special case. Weight also matters less as much once you reach a certain point, like 225 lbs+, because the skill is far lower at HW. It gives everyone a chance to be competitive. Example: You're not going to find a natural 145 lbser who can beat a natural 170 lbser because both divisions have a high skill level. But there are plenty of 230 lbsers who could beat 265 lbsers at HW.

This question has been brought up since weight classes were created and the general answer seems to be that weight matters less the higher you go?

Personally I've never understood that logic

60 lbs is 60 lbs

The logic is sound. At HW, weight isn't everything and it becomes a point of diminishing returns for size. Even the best HWs don't have great cardio compared to mediocre fighters in the lighter divisions. The big thing at HW is punching power. But punching power doesn't erase better cardio, technique, or speed. Its why Cain could destroy Brock Lesnar when there was a 30+ lbs weight gap. Or JDS vs. Shane Carwin, and Miocic vs. Ngannou 1.

This doesn't come up in lighter weight classes because fighters aren't carrying all the extra weight on their frames.

Back