Potential migrations to 165 and 175 if these are introduced

Okay, but what about 185-205? That's a 20lb difference. Now do LHW-HW, a 60lb difference. Are we adding 8 new weight classes so we have a 10lb difference between each?
There aren't enough bigger guys to warrant a 195lb division or anything between 205 and HW. Plus the bigger the fighters the less a weight gap matters.

Just wait until BSD, Arman, Gaethje, & Gamrot all win their next fight & only 1 of them will get a title shot LOL.

These divisions are always congested for one reason or another. Sucks.

The solution to this is to put more value (and money) on top ranked, non-title fights. Most fans just want to see great fights, and the fighters just want to get paid. How important is the belt, really?

But this would require a massive shift in mindset and marketing.

What about Kelvin Gastelum? :O
I don't know Kate, every time Gastelum loses he is far too small for the division haha. when will it ever end?.

UFC 350:
UFC Atomweight Bout:
Kelvin Gastelum vs Random Atomweight

Gastelum loses by split decision

Sherdog: OMG Gastelum is far too small for the division, needs to stop eating Burritos

I really hope they do it. I think it would open things up where they are particularly congested talent and movement wise in the UFC. Trade it for flyweight if we need to. Or to really shake things up, make bantam and fly into one division at 130 pounds so all the weight cutters that should be in featherweight, have to be. And then go and add a super heavy division for monsters. USADA is gone? Let them pulse!!!!

I wouldn't be opposed to a 195 division, but it would be too shallow since it would probably pull a lot of people from 205, which isn't that stacked. It may also pull a few from 185, but its more likely that some guys would drop down.

The attraction with HW is the large weight disparity, so its a special case. Weight also matters less as much once you reach a certain point, like 225 lbs+, because the skill is far lower at HW. It gives everyone a chance to be competitive. Example: You're not going to find a natural 145 lbser who can beat a natural 170 lbser because both divisions have a high skill level. But there are plenty of 230 lbsers who could beat 265 lbsers at HW.
Fair points!

People have been floating this for a while, and it still doesn't make any sense. Yes, 155 and 170 have the biggest rosters, but how many of those guys are really elite level? As has already been mentioned, it would just thin out both divisions and lead to more guys going up and down and competing in multiple divisions since it would be easier to make weight. You think there are too many champ vs champ fights now? This would only make it worse.

5 years too late. No point in even rushing this idea at this point.

Then they’ll just hand the title over to Conor and his fanboys will all muster together “cHaMp ChAmP cHaMp gOaT” only to never defend.
They are absolutely going to make the first fight for it w Conor against like Nate Diaz or something. They can't just give it to him though. There's just no way.

The suggestion of turning a weight class title, into a different belt, is so crazy.

It's pro wrestling stuff.

A new 175 lbs. championship, does not get the lineage of the 170 weight class. Weight matters.

Yes. But I don't remember an instance where a non-title fight would be a main event with title fights below it on the same card. I mean if they are putting Conor on this one as main event with title fights which are already announced, it has to be a title fight too according to unwritten rules of card making.. but who knows they can make an exception for Conor here ..
I thought the same thing, but UFC 196 had Diaz vs Conor as main event over misha vs holly for the belt. Can’t think of another instance though

They are absolutely going to make the first fight for it w Conor against like Nate Diaz or something. They can't just give it to him though. There's just no way.
Gonna put Conor against a complete can for it lol or an old retiree etc. but hilarity will ensue when it backfires and Conor gets KTFO again or taps like a bum.

Reactions: HHJ
FatselumChads, we are so back.

I don't know Kate, every time Gastelum loses he is far too small for the division haha. when will it ever end?.
medinilla-werdum-gastelum-argentina.JPG

Eating the same as HW's xD

Gonna put Conor against a complete can for it lol or an old retiree etc. but hilarity will ensue when it backfires and Conor gets KTFO again or taps like a bum.
Yea I can see them doing it w someone they feel Conor for sure can beat. Like Ferguson or some shit.

medinilla-werdum-gastelum-argentina.JPG

Eating the same as HW's xD

He's short and wide. It's like Hendricks who cuts too much to make 170 but being too small for 185.

Hendricks should never be fighting a Yoel Romero or Israel Adesanya but we see hte guy absolutley kills himself to make 170

I brought up this idea in relation to boxing weight classes like 8 years ago on the forums. I even pondered the idea of having intercontential champions for each continent where the ufc would hold specific events in those regions for just those fighters then the best would fight on ppvs against each other similar to world cup format.

I was also heavily medicated and smoking some damn good trees as well as perpetually broke af at the time hahahaha

Nah its a bad idea my guy

Reactions: HHJ
I brought up this idea in relation to boxing weight classes like 8 years ago on the forums. I even pondered the idea of having intercontential champions for each continent where the ufc would hold specific events in those regions for just those fighters then the best would fight on ppvs against each other similar to world cup format.

I was also heavily medicated and smoking some damn good trees as well as perpetually broke af at the time hahahaha

Nah its a bad idea my guy
With all the pull outs,weight cut misses,Drug test failures and god knows what else,this kind of shit wont work.

It worked for k-1 cos those guys can roid all they want,no commisions can stop em from fighting and less likely to be injured than if you are training MMA.

The suggestion of turning a weight class title, into a different belt, is so crazy.

It's pro wrestling stuff.

A new 175 lbs. championship, does not get the lineage of the 170 weight class. Weight matters.
Oh nevermind I got what you meant. I agree i dont like trying to change a belts lineage. Just make another belt,and start a new history and keep the old one.

Back