Pre-fight Discussion: UFC Fight Night 239 Tuivasa vs. Tybura Sat. March 16 4pm et ESPN+

Planning to watch

• All of it

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Most of it

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Some of it

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

PurpleStorm

purp
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Saturday the UFC returns to the Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada for UFC Night 239: Tuivasa vs. Tybura, also known as UFC Vegas 88. The main event is a clash of heavyweights, with Tai Tuivasa (14-6) squaring off against Marcin Tybura (24-8). The co-main at welterweight features Bryan Battle (10-2) against Ange Loosa (10-3). Which fights on this card do you anticipate? Want to share your breakdowns, predictions or observations? The floor is yours. More information will be added here throughout the week, leading up to the weigh-ins and always entertaining Play by Play discussion. All we ask is that you follow the rules and keep the conversation civil. Thanks, enjoy!

UFC Fight Night

UFC FIGHT NIGHT 239 - TUIVASA VS. TYBURA​

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)
MAR 16, 2024
United States
UFC APEX, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES

Main Event HW TAI TUIVASA 14-6-0 vs. MARCIN TYBURA 24-8-0
Co-Main Event WW Bryan Battle 10-2-0 vs. Ange Loosa 10-3-0
LHW Kennedy Nzechukwu 12-4-0 vs. Ovince St. Preux 26-17-0
FW Christian Rodriguez 10-1-0 vs. Isaac Dulgarian 6-0-0
WBW Pannie Kianzad 16-7-0 vs. Macy Chiasson 8-3-0
MW Gerald Meerschaert 35-17-0 vs. Bryan Barberena 18-11-0
LW Mike Davis 10-2-0 vs. Natan Levy 8-1-0
WFW Josiane Nunes 10-1-0 vs. Chelsea Chandler 5-2-0
FlyW Ode Osbourne 12-6-0 vs. Jafel Filho 15-3-0
LightW Thiago Moisés vs. 17-7-0 vs. Mitch Ramirez 8-1-0
FeatherW Josh Culibao 11-2-1 vs. Danny Silva 8-1-0
WStrawW Cory McKenna 8-2-0 vs. Jaqueline Amorim 7-1-0
BantamW Chad Anheliger 12-7-0 vs. Charalampos Grigoriou 8-3-0

Special guest Devin Tejada of the Check the Kick Podcast joins Ben this week as they break down UFC Fight Night 239, with background, analysis, detailed predictions and picks for all 13 fights.
0:00 Intro: The calm after the storm
5:48 Charalampos Grigoriou (8-3) vs. Chad Anheliger (12-7)
16:43 Jaqueline Amorim (7-1) vs. Cory McKenna (8-2)
28:39 Joshua Culibao (11-2-1) vs. Danny Silva (8-1)
39:26 Jafel Filho (15-3) vs. Ode Osbourne (12-6, 1 NC)
49:26 Josiane Nunes (10-1) vs. Chelsea Chandler (5-2)
1:02:14 Natan Levy (8-1) vs. Mike Davis (10-2)
1:15:30 Thiago Moises (17-7) vs. Mitch Ramirez (8-1)
1:27:26 Christian Rodriguez (10-1) vs. Isaac Dulgarian (6-0)
1:40:44 Gerald Meerschaert (35-17) vs. Bryan Barberena (18-11)
1:50:18 Pannie Kianzad (16-7) vs. Macy Chiasson (8-3)
2:02:47 Ovince St. Preux (26-17) vs. Kennedy Nzechukwu (12-4)
2:18:15 Bryan Battle (10-2) vs. Ange Loosa (10-3)
2:28:27 Tai Tuivasa (14-6) vs. Marcin Tybura (24-8)
2:43:52 A quick rundown of all the picks

Latest MMA News: https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/list
Check out the full fight card: https://www.sherdog.com/events/
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6oUPrfY...
Sherdog Podcasts: https://www.sherdog.com/tag/podcasts
Sherdog on Social Media:
Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sherdogdotcom
Like on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialsherdog
Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/official_sh...#UFCVegas88
Sherdog is the industry pioneer in UFC, Bellator and all things MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). MMA news, interviews, pictures, videos and more since 1997.
More on Sherdog.com: http://www.sherdog.com

Well, I feel like Bryan Battle's stock is as high as it's been. I've just recently started to look forward to his fights. So that's the main one for me.

Most of the other bouts are just to see who bounces back into the win category and who will possibly be let go.

I will lower expectations accordingly. There's a few names though.

Well, I feel like Bryan Battle's stock is as high as it's been. I've just recently started to look forward to his fights. So that's the main one for me.

Most of the other bouts are just to see who bounces back into the win category and who will possibly be let go.

I will lower expectations accordingly. There's a few names though.
Yeah that's how I'm approaching it too. After that stacked card last week it will take some time and research to warm up to this one. By the time Saturday rolls around I'll be stoked because enjoy watching most all fights.

Like you say there's a few fighters on this card who have had recent setbacks. They should be going all out to try and get back in the win column.

Definitely look forward to seeing Battle vs. Loosa.

Yeah, it’s pretty hard to get excited for a card like this, and next week jammed between 299, and 300. But I’ll be watching for sure. Hoping for good fights. Whether the fighters have big names, or not. I haven’t really even looked at the card much yet.

I’ll give some thoughts later, after I look at it a little closer. But at a glance, there’s at least a cpl fights I’m interested in.

Thanks for the thread @PurpleStorm

We have to be real, its not great, but hey its to be expected being in the middle of UFC 299 and UFC 300 which are both very stacked and deep cards.

Tuivasa vs Tybura could be really sloppy and bad, unless it finishes in under 2 rounds. We need a quick finish in that one

Charalampos Grigoriou now has his foot planted firmly in the Ultimate Fighting Championship door.

The Serra-Longo Fight Team bantamweight will make his promotional debut opposite Chad Anheliger as part of the UFC Fight Night 239 undercard this Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. Grigoriou enters the cage having rattled off four consecutive victories, all of them finishes. Oddsmakers have already installed the former Combat FC champion as a 2-to-1 favorite.

Grigoriou nailed down his spot on the UFC roster via Dana White’s Contender Series, as he put away Fury Fighting Championship titleholder Cameron Smotherman with punches in the first round of their Week 2 pairing on Aug. 15. The end came a mere 60 seconds into Round 1. Smotherman operated behind his jab and a few multi-punch bursts but never had a true opportunity to get in gear. Grigoriou blasted the Metro Fight Club rep with a left hook and floored him with a right cross, then pounced with hammerfists and punches to prompt the stoppage.

“I’m very focused, and I believe in myself,” he said at the post-fight press conference. “I know I have skills, and I know I’m going to be a problem in the UFC and the bantamweight division.”

The 31-year-old Grigoriou points to his training at the revered Serra-Longo camp as the primary catalyst in his rise to prominence. There, he trains under former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra and longtime striking coach Ray Longo. Daily access to world-class stablemates, including ex-UFC bantamweight titleholder Aljamain Sterling, provides an additional boost to Grigoriou’s confidence.

“We have the best gym in the world, the best coaches in the world and the best teammates in the world,” he said. “Because of them, I’m here now. I’m training with them. I’m learning with them. We are family. To have teammates that you feel that you’re family [with], it’s very important because you know that they’re going to be there for you, even when you lose. They’re going to be there for you for everything. We’re not just teammates.”

Grigoriou hails from Cyprus, a small island nation in the Mediterranean Sea perhaps best known in MMA circles as the birthplace of onetime UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping. He has not forgotten his roots.

“Anything is possible,” Grigoriou said. “Seven years ago, I was fighting in basements in Cyprus. Now I’m here in the UFC. When I think about the old times, this is what motivates me. I don’t want to go back. I had my ups and downs. I struggled a lot to be here.”

Two other organizational newcomers are set to take their first assignments in the Octagon, as Mitch Ramirez meets Thiago Moises in a three-round lightweight affair and Danny Silva toes the line against Joshua Culibao in a three-round featherweight tilt.

Ramirez fills in as a short-notice replacement for City Kickboxing’s Brad Riddell. The 31-year-old Syndicate MMA export sports an 8-1 record, with seven finishes among those eight victories. Ramirez last appeared under the Legacy Fighting Alliance flag on Dec. 15, when he disposed of Eiycaireon Tavarres with punches a little more than two minutes into their LFA 173 confrontation. He suffered his only pro defeat on DWCS, as he was victimized by Carlos Prates in a second-round technical knockout in August.

Silva, meanwhile, trains under Cub Swanson and Ben Jones at the UFC Gym in Costa Mesa, California. He last fought on Week 8 of DWCS, where he improved to 8-1 and punched his ticket to the UFC with a unanimous decision over Angel Pacheco on Sept. 26. The 27-year-old Silva has secured five of his eight career victories by knockout or technical knockout. Canaan Kawaihae was responsible for the lone blemish on his resume, having eked out a majority decision against him at LFA 148 in 2022.

Natan Levy has come a long way from securing a Ultimate Fighting Championship contract on Dana White’s Contender Series in 2020 to establishing a foothold with a pair of victories under the UFC banner. For the 32-year-old Israeli standout, victory extends beyond personal achievement; it is about inspiring others and representing his homeland with pride. He grasps the gravity of shouldering the aspirations of a nation and remains keenly cognizant of the impact of his success on Israel.

Given Israel’s limited history in fostering mixed martial arts talent, Levy’s unconventional path certainly raised eyebrows among his family and friends. In a past interview with the UFC, “Lethal” acknowledged the humor in their reactions, likely marked by disbelief and uncertainty, particularly while revealing his aspiration to travel to the United States. With his next assignment laid out against Mike Davis at UFC Fight Night 239 this Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas and having not competed since December 2022, the Syndicate MMA rep will be determined to launch his 2024 campaign with vigor.

Ahead of Levy’s looming showdown with Davis, here are five things you might not know about him:

1. He did not let boundaries stand in his way.​

Levy was born in Paris to a traditional Jewish family. As a toddler, he relocated to Israel, where he spent his formative years in Herzliya. During his teenage years, Levy’s fascination with martial arts blossomed, driving him to commit to rigorous training sessions of up to three hours daily by age 15. By the age of 17, his steadfast dedication paid off as he earned the revered distinction of black belt in Chinese martial arts. Levy’s determination to expand his martial arts knowledge drove him to overcome geographical barriers, embarking on a pilgrimage to Okinawa, Japan, where he earned his black belt in karate at the age of 18.

2. He found strength in strife.​

His childhood was marred by the upheaval of his parents’ divorce at the age of 4. The divorce left Levy grappling with emotional turmoil, compounded by the absence of his father and the challenges of adapting to a new country. He would get mocked for his French accent in school, and young Levy would find himself embroiled in frequent conflict while navigating the labyrinth of identity and belonging. “I would just fight all the time,” he said in an interview with the Jewish Telegraphic Agency. “I also had a French accent, so kids would make fun of me, which would lead me to attack them. I fought at least once every recess.”

3. Leaving his comfort zone was not an issue.​

Preceding his foray into professional MMA, Levy’s next chapter unfolded with a period of leadership and proficiency as a martial arts instructor in Tel Aviv, Israel. With a third-degree black belt in Uechi-Ryu karate and an insatiable appetite to test himself against the best in the world, “Lethal” took a bold step to move to Las Vegas at the age of 22. During that time, he would often shuttle between the United States and Israel, juggle training sessions in Las Vegas before traveling back to make money.

4. Defeat was undeniably sour.​

Following his first professional loss in his UFC debut against Rafa Garcia in November 2021, Levy found himself grappling with conflicting emotions. Contrary to the anticipated jubilation, the debut was shrouded in disappointment in the presence of his wife, friends and teammates. He admitted that he was not the life of the afterparty. Yet, despite the contrast of inner turmoil, he projected an outward appearance of being alright for the sake of those who came to support him. “On the inside, it was a pretty dark room, but outside, I had everybody that supports me around, so, of course, it’s not the end of the world,” Levy said in an April 2022 interview with UFC.com. “I was devastated by it, but I don’t think crying about it is going to help.”

5. His preparation extends beyond physical realms.​

Levy spends a lot of time meditating, which he believes is based on being fully present in the moment. He draws from his experiences in combat sports, where he endured grueling training sessions and learned the art of mental fortitude and resilience. The way he sees it, meditation manifests as complete immersion in action, where instinct and muscle memory take over. The ultimate goal is to reach fluidity, without the burden of conscious thought, and drilling these techniques until they become second nature allows him to flow effortlessly in the heat of battle.

Natan Levy has come a long way from securing a Ultimate Fighting Championship contract on Dana White’s Contender Series in 2020 to establishing a foothold with a pair of victories under the UFC banner. For the 32-year-old Israeli standout, victory extends beyond personal achievement; it is about inspiring others and representing his homeland with pride. He grasps the gravity of shouldering the aspirations of a nation and remains keenly cognizant of the impact of his success on Israel.

Given Israel’s limited history in fostering mixed martial arts talent, Levy’s unconventional path certainly raised eyebrows among his family and friends. In a past interview with the UFC, “Lethal” acknowledged the humor in their reactions, likely marked by disbelief and uncertainty, particularly while revealing his aspiration to travel to the United States. With his next assignment laid out against Mike Davis at UFC Fight Night 239 this Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas and having not competed since December 2022, the Syndicate MMA rep will be determined to launch his 2024 campaign with vigor.

Ahead of Levy’s looming showdown with Davis, here are five things you might not know about him:

1. He did not let boundaries stand in his way.​

Levy was born in Paris to a traditional Jewish family. As a toddler, he relocated to Israel, where he spent his formative years in Herzliya. During his teenage years, Levy’s fascination with martial arts blossomed, driving him to commit to rigorous training sessions of up to three hours daily by age 15. By the age of 17, his steadfast dedication paid off as he earned the revered distinction of black belt in Chinese martial arts. Levy’s determination to expand his martial arts knowledge drove him to overcome geographical barriers, embarking on a pilgrimage to Okinawa, Japan, where he earned his black belt in karate at the age of 18.

2. He found strength in strife.​

His childhood was marred by the upheaval of his parents’ divorce at the age of 4. The divorce left Levy grappling with emotional turmoil, compounded by the absence of his father and the challenges of adapting to a new country. He would get mocked for his French accent in school, and young Levy would find himself embroiled in frequent conflict while navigating the labyrinth of identity and belonging. “I would just fight all the time,” he said in an interview with the Jewish Telegraphic Agency. “I also had a French accent, so kids would make fun of me, which would lead me to attack them. I fought at least once every recess.”

3. Leaving his comfort zone was not an issue.​

Preceding his foray into professional MMA, Levy’s next chapter unfolded with a period of leadership and proficiency as a martial arts instructor in Tel Aviv, Israel. With a third-degree black belt in Uechi-Ryu karate and an insatiable appetite to test himself against the best in the world, “Lethal” took a bold step to move to Las Vegas at the age of 22. During that time, he would often shuttle between the United States and Israel, juggle training sessions in Las Vegas before traveling back to make money.

4. Defeat was undeniably sour.​

Following his first professional loss in his UFC debut against Rafa Garcia in November 2021, Levy found himself grappling with conflicting emotions. Contrary to the anticipated jubilation, the debut was shrouded in disappointment in the presence of his wife, friends and teammates. He admitted that he was not the life of the afterparty. Yet, despite the contrast of inner turmoil, he projected an outward appearance of being alright for the sake of those who came to support him. “On the inside, it was a pretty dark room, but outside, I had everybody that supports me around, so, of course, it’s not the end of the world,” Levy said in an April 2022 interview with UFC.com. “I was devastated by it, but I don’t think crying about it is going to help.”

5. His preparation extends beyond physical realms.​

Levy spends a lot of time meditating, which he believes is based on being fully present in the moment. He draws from his experiences in combat sports, where he endured grueling training sessions and learned the art of mental fortitude and resilience. The way he sees it, meditation manifests as complete immersion in action, where instinct and muscle memory take over. The ultimate goal is to reach fluidity, without the burden of conscious thought, and drilling these techniques until they become second nature allows him to flow effortlessly in the heat of battle.

Interesting background on Natan Levy, especially that he spends a lot of time meditating.

Thanks for the articles you share throughout fight week kowbz. They increase my interest. There's stakes involved in every fight, for every fighter.

Can't tell if bad match up for Barbs or not. Meerschaert's record ain't really that great either. Barbs coming off three losses and Gerald two. He could goad him into a brawl and outpoint him i guess.

Hoping for wins by:

Tuivasa
Battle
ST. Preux - give us another Von Flue
Chiasson
Barbs

It is a common understanding in combat sports that experience in competition often fosters a sense of maturity and calm disposition. For a few fighters, like Thiago Moises, beyond being armed with physical prowess, he strides into the Octagon with a wealth of experience that belies his age. The Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight contender’s career is a testament to his unwavering dedication to perpetual improvement. He emanates a mindset of constant growth as he asserts, “I’m not even close to my prime.” Those words underscore his insatiable hunger for growth.

At just 28, he has competed across several renowned mixed martial arts promotions and has fought against the best names of the UFC’s 155-pound bracket over an 11-fight stretch under the organization’s banner. Moises’ introduction to the Las Vegas-based promotion came with a daunting challenge against Beneil Dariush. Despite the outcome not swinging in his favor, the Brazilian chose resilience over resignation and returned to the forge with renewed determination. His record of 6-5 in the UFC may not convey the most favorable impression, with only two victories in his last five Octagon outings. Having said that, he will be champing at the bit to return to triumphant ways when he locks horns with promotional newcomer Mitch Ramirez at UFC Fight Night 239 this Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.

Ahead of Moises’ clash with Ramirez, a look at five of the many moments that have helped define his career to this point:

1. A Prime Five-Star Prelude​

The black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Paulo Streckert set sail on his professional mixed martial arts career by competing under five different banners. Nevertheless, the outcome mirrored similar results as he amassed five straight victories, with two submissions and a thunderous head kick knockout during that stretch. In that process, he collected signature victories over the likes of Dennis Bentes and Francivaldo Soares before going on to suffer the first loss of his professional journey against former UFC fighter Jason Knight.

2. Embarking on Glory and Guarding the Crown​

Under the Resurrection Fighting Alliance banner at RFA 35, the Sao Paulo, Brazil, native got his first crack at gold for the organization’s vacant lightweight championship on Feb. 19, 2016. Going up against David Castillo, it took Moises two rounds to secure a submission victory by armbar and lay claim to his maiden championship laurel. Following the victory, he went on to defend the title twice, collecting a technical knockout victory over Jamall Emmers at RFA 38 and a unanimous decision over Zach Freeman at RFA 44.

3. Punching His Ticket to the UFC with Authority​

Following a 1-1 run in the Legacy Fighting Alliance, Moises got an opportunity to clinch a berth in the UFC thanks to Dana White’s Contender Series Brazil in August 2018. Moises went into the competition as one of the most experienced talents in the program and made quick work of Gleidson Moraes Cutis with a Round 1 TKO victory. He was subsequently signed by the UFC and would go on to make his promotional debut two months later against Dariush.

4. A Phenomenal Streak of Victories​

After starting 1-2 in the UFC, Moises went on the best run of his journey in the promotion, rattling off three straight victories with clear authority. He doubled down on his efforts and used the pair of setbacks as fuel to propel him to triumphant ways against perennial contenders Michael Johnson, Bobby Green and Alexander Hernandez. While he submitted Johnson via Achilles lock, the other set of wins were scored unanimously in the Brazilian’s favor.

5. Pushing the Future Champion to the Brink​

In the maiden main event opportunity for both Moises and dance partner Islam Makhachev, the fight proved to be a good matchup of skilled grappling experts. From the opening bell, the Dagestani blended solid striking with grappling precision. Despite the Brazilian’s valiant efforts to weather the storm, Makhachev’s relentless pressure saw him dictate the pace of the fight. Moises refused to concede and threatened with some submission attempts but was unable to pose any significant threats. In the fourth round, Makhachev seized an opening to sink in a rear-naked choke submission that left Moises with no choice but to tap out at the 2:38 mark. While victory eluded him on this occasion, the 28-year-old’s determination and grit underscored the talent he holds for future opportunities.

A faltering first impression laid the groundwork for a consistent course for Pannie Kianzad—the No. 6-ranked women’s bantamweight contender in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Despite facing adversity in her promotional debut, the Iranian-born Swede has emerged as a threatening force in the division.

Following the loss to Julia Avila, “Banzai” sought out prominent matchmaker Mick Maynard, pledging to rise above challenges with a clear message: “I will not disappoint you.” True to her word, she embarked on a remarkable journey, securing four consecutive wins against formidable opponents like Bethe Correia and Alexis Davis. However, the intensity of her drive presents a paradoxical challenge. Her training regimen crackled with fervor and determination while pushing her on the verge of exhaustion, which contrasts with the weighty pressure she feels during fights. Kianzad particularly acknowledged grappling with mental obstacles leading up to her clash against Davis.

Now battling the predicament of two losses sandwiched between a victory, Kianzad will have her eyes fixed on victory when she locks horns with Macy Chiasson in a rematch at UFC Fight Night 239 this Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. “Banzai” will undoubtedly be looking forward to settle a score, having lost to Chiasson in “The Ultimate Fighter 28” final.

In advance of Kianzad’s second encounter with Chiasson, a look at some of the rivalries that have helped shape her career to this point:

Eeva Siiskonen

Kianzad turned professional in 2012 and logged six straight wins before getting her maiden crack at a championship at Cage Warriors 74 against Siiskonen. The bout, which transpired on Nov. 15, 2014, marked her first taste at gold nearly three months after making her promotional debut. Kianzad’s dominance shone through brightly, as she picked up a unanimous decision victory with scores of 50–45, 50–45, and 49–46 to become the female bantamweight champion of the organization.

Bianca Daimoni

Between September 2015 and January 2018, Kianzad endured the toughest phase of her career, battling three consecutive losses while failing to make weight in two of those bouts. For her botched weight cut at Invicta 27, Kianzad was fined 25% of her fight purse. An upswing in her career and realignment proved pivotal. Fans were treated to a polished version of her at Invicta 29, as she scored a solid unanimous decision over Daimoni, who, in this instance, missed weight by 3.6 pounds.

Jessica-Rose Clark

In her first post-Avila Octagon assignment, Kianzad clashed with Clark in a UFC Fight Night 163 rematch of their 2015 encounter. She displayed refined striking in the clash, scoring against Clark with stinging jabs and sharp combinations. Despite some spirited exchanges, Kianzad’s technical prowess and control kept her opponent at bay, as she coasted through with a unanimous decision. That victory set the course for a solid four-fight winning streak that saw her notch unanimous decisions over Correia, Davis and Sijara Eubanks.

Raquel Pennington

Even though it remains a stain on her record, Kianzad’s loss to Pennington proved to be a steppingstone and developmental experience for her. She went toe-to-toe with the reigning women’s bantamweight champion at UFC Fight Night 192. The bout featured a dynamic exchange of clinch work and a display of striking prowess from both fighters. Pennington demonstrated her resilience and aggression throughout the contest, while Kianzad relied on her power and tactical clinch work. In the opening round, “Banzai” had a lot of success whenever she got Pennington in the clinch and landed effective knees. However, “Rocky” relied on her experience and turned up the heat in the following rounds, persisting in dominating her opponent for the remainder of the fight. The judges scored the bout 29-28 unanimously in favor of the American, recognizing her consistent output and striking differential. Despite the setback, the contest validated Kianzad’s ability to compete against top-ranked competitors in the bantamweight bracket.

Preview: UFC Fight Night 239 Prelims​

Moises vs. Ramirez​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email

TOM FEELY MAR 13, 2024 COMMENTS
The Ultimate Fighting Championship’s latest jaunt to the UFC Apex serves up seven prelims that could provide some entertaining action on Saturday in Las Vegas. Natan Levy and Mike Davis square off as two athletically talented lightweights look to build some momentum and overcome their recent inactivity. Meanwhile, Josiane Nunes-Chelsea Chandler should result in a violent battle between two former featherweights looking to carve out niches as full-time bantamweights, and the standout bout among the rest comes in the form of Danny Silva’s promotional debut. Silva was part of one of the best fights in Dana White’s Contender Serieshistory in September and now tries to overcome a tricky veteran test on Joshua Culibao.

Lightweights​

Thiago Moises (17-7, 6-5 UFC) vs. Mitch Ramirez (8-1, 0-0 UFC)

If nothing else, this should be an entertaining bounce-back opportunity for Moises. He came to the UFC in 2018, and the Brazilian looked like a prospect with a high floor. Fighting with a poise that belied his 23 years of age, Moises stayed patient and picked apart his opponents with a game buoyed by an impressive level of grappling. It is an approach that has continued to serve Moises well, but it is also one that has been blown apart as he has tried to break into the top tiers of the lightweight division. Some potent opponents have just seized the initiative and never given it back, leaving Moises to either get finished or find himself on the end of some one-sided losses. Moises has at least tried to be more intentional in pursuing his wrestling in recent years, but all his typical issues came back to the forefront against Benoit St. Denis in September. Initially matched up with Brad Riddell here, Moises instead faces late replacement and UFC newcomer in Ramirez. The 31-year-old Ramirez looked like a solid welterweight prospect with some knockout power heading into Dana White’s Contender Series in 2023, but he found himself outgunned against standout striker Carlos Prates. As a result, “The Fight Stalker” cut down to lightweight for a regional win before getting this late-notice call. A late comer to mixed martial arts, Ramirez is generally solid but unspectacular, though he could have a shot at an upset in this assignment. Ramirez’s level of aggression varies from fight to fight, but he should be more than willing to fill the void caused by Moises’ patient style and could cause plenty of early damage in doing so. However, there is also nothing to suggest that Moises’ wrestling and grappling will not also find a lot of success, and that seems like the surer bet. The pick is Moises via first-round submission.

Jump To »
Moises vs. Ramirez
Davis vs. Levy
Nunes vs. Chandler
Filho vs. Osbourne
Culibao vs. Silva
McKenna vs. Amorim
Grigoriou vs. Anheliger

Back