Premier League Thread 2022/23: V4 - Geezers Need Excitement Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don’t get is, if he really is as good as some suggest, why are Barca so desperate to get rid (sure they need money, but come on), and why is no one else linked with him?
He wants to play Busquet's position.
Xavi wants him to stay (he knows Busi aint playing 50 games a season anymore and is only there for another year or so), but from Laporta's POV, if they can get 100m out of Frenkie when we have a crop of midfielders + Kessie and maybe another sly signing, it's worth the loss to take the profit.

Xavi has made it very clear Frenkie as a player is at no fault and a priority at Barca. He's said nothing but good things about him. When his form dipped, Xavi pulled him aside and let him know what he expected from him and said Frenkie ticked every box above and beyond.

No one else is linked bc United oversaturate prices. They bid too high (but rarely high enough) initially and then other teams are priced out of a player. Who else could afford him that needs him that desperately?

The few times I’ve seen him, he’s looked fantastic—the kind of player United need. He was dropping deep looking for the ball from the full backs and was spot on with his froward passing. He probably won’t stat pad with goals or assists but will be involved in moving the play forward and opening up the players who will.

I don’t comment on Barca, but I’d guess there’s politics involved there, possibly favoritism toward their youth/Spanish players. They may not be looking to move on from Busquets and feel they’re more in need of a player to get the goals and assists?

@Da Speeit @El Che
Here's the thing. FDJ is a really good player. I like him a lot.

However, the thinking here is that he isn't the most ideal fit for a 4-3-3 under Xavi. He still fits well with the team but his talents aren't maximized in the 4-3-3. Xavi still likes him though and knows what kind of player he is. He plays best as part of a double pivot or with a back 3 behind him like with the Dutch national team and Ajax under Ten Hag. They don't believe he is the future replacement for Busquets(for whatever reason) so I believe he has become expendable(to a point) because Pedri is a nailed on starter for the next decade and Gavi will most likely be one of the other midfielders for the same timeframe. There needs to be a full on replacement for Busquets and if he isn't going to be it he is no longer untouchable. I don't think they planned on selling him until there was interest from United/ETH and the fact that he could possibly go for 80 mil coupled with the financial problems at Barca makes me think that is where the talk of him being transferred occurred.

Now with the financial "levers" that have been activated by Barca the need for those funds isn't so dire. However, still getting 70-80 mil for a "non essential" player(still valuable to the team and a really good player overall) is the thinking from the board/Xavi. I disagree with their decision because I like him but I understand the thought process. He was good but not great this past year and his best year was 2 years ago under Koeman during Messi's last season where he could play in his more natural role. He was probably the second best player on the squad that season.

I think he is a great option for United and could fit perfectly in one of the CDM spots for you guys under Ten Hag provided he has proper cover at the other pivot(Neves or whoever else you might get). Leaving him stranded out there with McFred would be a disservice to him and you guys. I know 80 mil or more is a lot of money but for what I believe he can provide you it will be money well spent. I understand the apprehension though. I think he is good on the ball, is mobile, is an above average passer and is good going forward with or without the ball.

No one else is linked bc United oversaturate prices. They bid too high (but rarely high enough) initially and then other teams are priced out of a player. Who else could afford him that needs him that desperately?

I mean Chelsea, Pool and City all could do with a CM, imo.

Juve going for Pogba.

Point is if he’s as good as everyone seems to say he is (and 99% say he is), and at his age, seems odd all the usual players wouldn’t want him.

£70m for a guy who is world XI potential and only 25, seems kinda cheap, tbh.

That’s half a Declan Rice, for Pete’s sake!

I’m liking the sentiment and may now be on board with Wales winning the group.

Always welcome aboard the Welsh World Cup Winning War Wagon

US Soccer continuing to do its best to make sure the sport becomes even less popular in America.

pandering for likes....as if they actually give a shit other than the almighty dollar

So my oldest is going away to camp tomorrow for a week, and he asked for steak for our family meal tonight. I picked up some steaks, did the prepping, seared them, finished them off in the oven, pulled at 130, rested them, and cut them up for all the kids. My wife takes a bite, and the first thing she says is that they’re undercooked.

@Da Speeit , in your professional and personal opinion, should I stay married to this person?

23008-E7-E-4572-4-D4-E-A4-BC-45-CF471-AC210.jpg

So my oldest is going away to camp tomorrow for a week, and he asked for steak for our family meal tonight. I picked up some steaks, did the prepping, seared them, finished them off in the oven, pulled at 130, rested them, and cut them up for all the kids. My wife takes a bite, and the first thing she says is that they’re undercooked.

@Da Speeit , in your professional and personal opinion, should I stay married to this person?

Personal opinion - looks amazing

Looks tasty. All the women in my family hate medium rare, so if they say it’s undercooked you probably got it right <Lmaoo>! I don’t know if it’s the same with you though.

Nice medium. She's got to go if she thinks medium is undercooked. Sorry, i don't make the rules

Looks tasty. All the women in my family hate medium rare, so if they say it’s undercooked you probably got it right <Lmaoo>! I don’t know if it’s the same with you though.
My cousin and her family came in to town for a few days. They wanted to grill burgers for dinner one night, and so missus went off and found some NY strip patties. I had just gotten off work late and was put right to work. There was an issue with the pellet grill, so I spent about 20 minutes trouble shooting it. I wasn’t in a bad mood, but there was very little room left for shenanigans at this point in the evening. I seasoned them up, grilled them, and made sure to pull them at a solid medium. I brought them inside, and got all 11 plates ready while everyone continued to socialize outside.

After the second call for dinner went unanswered, my cousin’s husband and I decided to start eating since it was well past dinner time. They were a perfect shade of pink. My cousin comes in, takes a look at her husband’s burger, and whispers something in his ear. He *tells me* that the rest of the burgers need to go back on the grill, takes the tray out, and throws every other burger on until they were charred to the core.

<codychoke>

Overall, it was an enjoyable visit, but there were one too many Cousin Eddie moments that have put me in a no-nonsense mood this weekend (I’ll leave these out since this is already getting too long). So when the wife tells me—a red-blooded American male—that medium rare steak is undercooked, I wasn’t having it. I told her that if she puts the steaks back in the oven for a second more, she’s eating it on a bun with ketchup.

<HisEye>

The matter has been settled. She ate her steak as served. She is now aware of the rules @daspeeit outlined above, and we’re all good now.

My cousin and her family came in to town for a few days. They wanted to grill burgers for dinner one night, and so missus went off and found some NY strip patties. I had just gotten off work late and was put right to work. There was an issue with the pellet grill, so I spent about 20 minutes trouble shooting it. I wasn’t in a bad mood, but there was very little room left for shenanigans at this point in the evening. I seasoned them up, grilled them, and made sure to pull them at a solid medium. I brought them inside, and got all 11 plates ready while everyone continued to socialize outside.

After the second call for dinner went unanswered, my cousin’s husband and I decided to start eating since it was well past dinner time. They were a perfect shade of pink. My cousin comes in, takes a look at her husband’s burger, and whispers something in his ear. He *tells me* that the rest of the burgers need to go back on the grill, takes the tray out, and throws every other burger on until they were charred to the core.

<codychoke>

Overall, it was an enjoyable visit, but there were one too many Cousin Eddie moments that have put me in a no-nonsense mood this weekend (I’ll leave these out since this is already getting too long). So when the wife tells me—a red-blooded American male—that medium rare steak is undercooked, I wasn’t having it. I told her that if she puts the steaks back in the oven for a second more, she’s eating it on a bun with ketchup.

<HisEye>

The matter has been settled. She ate her steak as served. She is now aware of the rules @daspeeit outlined above, and we’re all good now.
That's not a medium rare, which is even more of an indictment

Divorce her imo. Wood eat. Hadda nuff.

Divorce and send her my way imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back