Prime Fedor vs Ngannou

BuT ThE BrET RoGerS fiGhT He WaS AlReAdY OuT Of HiS PriMe.

Hah, yes, I knew that was coming. The same people who insist 36-year old Tony Ferguson was "his peak against Gaethje" will say the 33-year old Fedor who faced Rogers was 10 years past his best days.

Prime Fedor was quick, decent all around, and wasn’t easily fazed. He would have been a problem for Francis.

Hah, yes, I knew that was coming. The same people who insist 36-year old Tony Ferguson was "his peak against Gaethje" will say the 33-year old Fedor who faced Rogers was 10 years past his best days.

Who the fight after got KOd by an older Henderson aswell.

How do you see this playing out?

I think Fedor takes Ngannou down and pounds him out 75%

25% chance Ngannou lands clean and KO's Fedor

These prime vs prime threads are incredibly stupid. You cannot compare a pioneer that was creating the sport with a current fighter who already knew how to train, which strategies are better. Its just nonsense.

Fedor had issues with Brett Rogers who was like the Poor Man's Ngannou v. 0.001. The same Rogers barely beat Warpath by a controversial decision just months later. And let's not forget Fujita stunning Fedor badly...and Ngannou hits much harder that Fujita and would've swarmed/finished him in the same scenario. But of course the Pride nostalgists don't want to acknowledge such things.

Fedor was never in any kind of trouble or danger that fight. He got his nose cut open by Roger's opening jab, and Rogers had him pushed against the fence and repeatedly grabbed the fence to keep him there - it was Fedor's first fight not in a ring.

Fedor did almost all of the telling damage, and attempted all of the submissions. I've seen you make this claim on one of the other many Francis v Fedor threads. The "issues" you claim seem to be a bit exaggerated.

And if we want to talk issues, Francis had huge ones with Derrick Lewis, so the idea that he'd just walk through a prime Fedor is not anything close to a foregone conclusion.

Idk, lets see how Ngannou does against a DC, (black fedor) or Sipe again. Then I can answer more honestly,

These prime vs prime threads are incredibly stupid. You cannot compare a pioneer that was creating the sport with a current fighter who already knew how to train, which strategies are better. Its just nonsense.

Whilst i agree, Ngannou didnt know what strategies are better, if he did hed have learnt to sprawl before the Stipe fight.

How do you see this playing out?

I think Fedor takes Ngannou down and pounds him out 75%

25% chance Ngannou lands clean and KO's Fedor
i think fedor drops him and finishes him with an armbar. hes way too quick

You really think Ngannou represents a more evolved tactical fighter than Fedor? I mean I'm not rubbishing Francis, he is dangerous to anyone in MMA history but lets be honest he's a big quick guy who brawls aggressively.

What I think you would see is Francis not finding it as easy to fight his fight, Fedor wouldn't throw down in the pocket or back up easily, it would likely be moving from long range into the clinch with 1-2 quick punches. You can say Francis is powerful but Fedor's speciality was chaining clinch takedowns into his standup catching people off balance.

BuT ThE BrET RoGerS fiGhT He WaS AlReAdY OuT Of HiS PriMe.

Right.
I mean, the Jon Jones who eked out razor thin decisions against Santos and Reyes is exactly the same fighter who brutalized Shogun and left Machida laying, right?
Of course not.
Fighters decline, they leave their prime. Was Fedor way out of his prime in November ‘09? Not like now obviously, but there were signs that he was declining in ‘08 and ‘09. If we’re having a fantasy matchup discussion that involves “prime Fedor,” we’re not discussing the November 2009 version, 30+ fights into his career.

Fedor was never in any kind of trouble or danger that fight. He got his nose cut open by Roger's opening jab, and Rogers had him pushed against the fence and repeatedly grabbed the fence to keep him there - it was Fedor's first fight not in a ring.

Fedor did almost all of the telling damage, and attempted all of the submissions. I've seen you make this claim on one of the other many Francis v Fedor threads. The "issues" you claim seem to be a bit exaggerated.

And if we want to talk issues, Francis had huge ones with Derrick Lewis, so the idea that he'd just walk through a prime Fedor is not anything close to a foregone conclusion.
Agree about the Rogers fight, it’s way overstated. Fedor made a big mistake not training for the cage, and he did have some trouble with Rogers’ size. But I actually think Fedor won the first round. Rogers’ success in that fight is a bit exaggerated.

You really think Ngannou represents a more evolved tactical fighter than Fedor? I mean I'm not rubbishing Francis, he is dangerous to anyone in MMA history but lets be honest he's a big quick guy who brawls aggressively.

What I think you would see is Francis not finding it as easy to fight his fight, Fedor wouldn't throw down in the pocket or back up easily, it would likely be moving from long range into the clinch with 1-2 quick punches. You can say Francis is powerful but Fedor's speciality was chaining clinch takedowns into his standup catching people off balance.
it is nonsense to compare them. different eras.

Agree about the Rogers fight, it’s way overstated. Fedor made a big mistake not training for the cage, and he did have some trouble with Rogers’ size. But I actually think Fedor won the first round. Rogers’ success in that fight is a bit exaggerated.

Standing I think that fight was still fairly good, I mean Fedor was still more of a head hunter and a bit slower but he was effective, Rogers landed one jab but got rocked badly and then KOed.

What was dropping off more was Fedor's grappling, that's what cost him in all his SF loses not the standup, prime Fedor does not let Rogers out from under him in the 1st round like that, he pulps him with GnP.

Amazing that in 2020 people don't realize how irrelevant age is when talking about peak or prime.

33 year old Fedor had done more than most fighters who retire at later ages.

Wear and tear is relevant. Age is not.

Most sports the "constant evolution" is true and players now will just be better than players in previous eras 99% of the time.

MMA I don't fucking buy it. What evolution have we seen in top fighters now compared to any other era? The depth exists more now but high end fighters today are not better than high end fighters of any other era.

Lol are you serious TS? Ngannou embarrasss and destroys Fedor with relative ease.

If middleweight Hendo can sleep Fedor than you better bet Ngannou would send Fedor’s soul to the astral plane. It’s not even up for debate. Ngannou beats anyone from pride.

So, every MMA fighter has the exact same experiences at any particular age, weight, promotion and record? NFL running backs are pretty much done and far removed from their peak by time they are 30. Also, when a RB gets more than 350 carries in a season, the wheels come off the next year and then they're never the same, no matter what age that happens. WRs produce into their 30s, tight ends the longer, linemen longer than that. QBs often produce into their mid to late 30s, some even into their 40s. But, according to you, this is not possible because everyone peaks at the same time, apparently.

And show me where someone both posted that Ferguson was at his peak, and Fedor was a decade removed from his prime.

It's awesome when you can invent someone in your own imagination to refute.

Fedor had issues with Brett Rogers who was like the Poor Man's Ngannou v. 0.001. The same Rogers barely beat Warpath by a controversial decision just months later. And let's not forget Fujita stunning Fedor badly...and Ngannou hits much harder that Fujita and would've swarmed/finished him in the same scenario. But of course the Pride nostalgists don't want to acknowledge such things.

Way to selectively pick fights...

Back