PS5 announced for 2020 Holiday Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, what’s bizarre is I’ve had a PS5 since 3/5 but I’ve yet to play an actual PS5 game, lol.

I’ve had Demon’s Souls for most of that time but I’m playing too much Super Mega Baseball 3 to bother with it.

I paid retail though making it not that big of a deal.

The controller & sleek design’s been the best part.

Yea I've haven't played any Ps5 games on mine either. Well unless you count astrobot which I played for like 5 mins. I'm in no rush though I have so much to play right now.

I must be a vastly different gamer from you guys. I don't find it bizarre at all for people to not be playing games yet. That's my usual experience with most consoles that aren't Nintendo consoles. As a matter of fact I don't recall any consoles with a better launch lineup than the PS5 (aside from the Switch) IMO. From my vague recollection the only PlayStation with a solid launch lineup that I liked was the OG PlayStation.

PS3 was one of the worst offenders. I was using it to watch videos and playing some PS2 but it sat there for a good while before I actually purchased a good game for it. For shits and giggles I browsed through the PS3 list of games and found the first game I bought for the system (Bioshock - almost a full year after PS3 laucnhed).

PS4 I got Killzone Shadow Fall but I didn't really enjoy it and never finished it... I didn't play a great game on the PS4 until The Last of Us Remastered (about 8 months after launch) followed by Destiny a few months later.

But with the PS5 I got to play Demon's Souls and Spider-man right away. Granted Spider-Man is a PS4 game but with the new graphics overhaul I was loving it. I'd be playing the sequel but I just built a brand spankin' new PC and I want to play most of my games on it. If it wasn't for that I'd be on my PS5 a lot more.

Last edited:
I've been holding out on getting one because the only game I want is Demon's Souls (which I already played to death on PS3), and because I'm not all that excited about the new normal in video game prices. Most games just aren't that good. Padded length is usually the route they take to justify the price, saying "You'll get more entertainment for your money than from a film."

But if a new film came out that I really wanted to see and there were two cuts made of it, one streamlined and one 12 hours long, even at the same price I'd see the streamlined version. Time is more valuable than money, so 70+ hours of cutscenes and glorified scrap collecting isn't worth paying for.

I've been holding out on getting one because the only game I want is Demon's Souls (which I already played to death on PS3), and because I'm not all that excited about the new normal in video game prices. Most games just aren't that good. Padded length is usually the route they take to justify the price, saying "You'll get more entertainment for your money than from a film."

But if a new film came out that I really wanted to see and there were two cuts made of it, one streamlined and one 12 hours long, even at the same price I'd see the streamlined version. Time is more valuable than money, so 70+ hours of cutscenes and glorified scrap collecting isn't worth paying for.

I find your post a bit amusing. It's as if it'll be super easy for you to get a PS5 console whenever you want. LOL.

I gave Days Gone a try a couple of weeks ago, and I was immediately put off by the clunky cut scene transitions and controls. Interesting to know that it gets better, but a first impression really can be tough to shake. Plus given modern gaming it feels like I can't go more than a couple of games without suffering open-world fatigue.

As an example, I finally tried out Ghost of Tsushima, and I've been at the end of Act 1 for weeks because part of me wants to do the side stuff and unlock armor sets and techniques, and the other part just wants to mainline the game because I feel like, combat-wise, I've already experienced most of what the game has to offer; and I'm tired of running around looking for fox holes/springs/whatever.

Can you stick an NVME in the internal slot yet?

It looks like Returnal can run at 4K60 , plus will also have a raytracing mode by the looks of it according to the Portuguese PlayStation channel.

Rough translation I've found:

"The other thing we have to talk about and it's the most obvious thing when we look at the trailers for this game is the graphical component. Not only do we have Ray-Tracing, which has become the distinct feature in next-gen games, we have 60fps and 4K"

Last edited:
Not yet, they're hoping for the summer
What's the hold up?

It looks like Returnal can run at 4K60 , plus will also have a raytracing mode by the looks of it according to the Portuguese PlayStation channel.

Rough translation I've found:

"The other thing we have to talk about and it's the most obvious thing when we look at the trailers for this game is the graphical component. Not only do we have Ray-Tracing, which has become the distinct feature in next-gen games, we have 60fps and 4K"

Unless AMD has managed to come up with something very recently, the ray tracing mode won't run 4k60. AMD's ray tracing still runs on brute power and frame rates takes a massive hit.

actually started using the dualsense more rather than ds4+back buttons and fuck me is the battery rubbish, it's like a last gen controller at the end of it's life near enough....and that's without playing ps5 games

was saving my extra bundle pad for later but had to break it out to swap&charge

What's the hold up?

Unless AMD has managed to come up with something very recently, the ray tracing mode won't run 4k60. AMD's ray tracing still runs on brute power and frame rates takes a massive hit.

I'd guess that they are still testing drives for compatibility with the internal one.

As for Returnal RT, yeah I'd bet its a 1080p/60 or a 4k30 (cbr) for RT mode

Wonder what kind of content they’re offering with this. Comes included with PS+ until April 2022.

Wonder what kind of content they’re offering with this. Comes included with PS+ until April 2022.

It could be something like the animation services they have or it could be something like the new Bravia streaming service, Bravia Core thats only on Sony TV's

I don’t see how people can put that beast vertically. Would stick out tremendously in any set up, I’d think.
I had room to set it vertically inside my entertainment center, but I noticed that the enclosure would get pretty warm. I'd guess that's because of how close the top of the system was to the roof of that cubby-hole (the sides were the recommended distance away from the walls). Anyway, I didn't like the feel of loading disks when the system sits horizontally so now it sits vertically to the side of everything. Looks sorta ghetto, but I don't have kids or pets so there's no risk of it getting knocked over.

I don’t see how people can put that beast vertically. Would stick out tremendously in any set up, I’d think.

Vertically is the default (or ideal) way of setting up non? That's how I have it. It takes up less space.

Vertically is the default (or ideal) way of setting up non? That's how I have it. It takes up less space.
It’s the aesthetic way of setting it up. Practically I don’t see how anyone has it in an entertainment center standing up. Everything I’ve seen with a vertical positioning has it off to the side somewhere like @Swing

It’s the aesthetic way of setting it up. Practically I don’t see how anyone has it in an entertainment center standing up. Everything I’ve seen with a vertical positioning has it off to the side somewhere like @Swing

My stand is short, wide and low so most of my consoles are sitting at the top. it makes more sense for me to stack it vertically. Doesn't get in the way of anything at all.

My stand is short, wide and low so most of my consoles are sitting at the top. it makes more sense for me to stack it vertically. Doesn't get in the way of anything at all.
I like to see as little of my devices as possible when viewing/gaming and have nothing close to the screen. Mine fits perfectly on a bottom shelf on its side.

I could put it vertically but it would have to be on top or off to the side. That’s a hard pass for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back