Social Racial "activist" NFL player Davis apologizes for anti-Asian slur

I also thought it meant lame. I feel like I got played by the VFW.

And all the modern day Klan boys think the N word is a term of endearment since they hear Blacks say it so much.

:rolleyes:

100 percent. I remember after the superbowl they were trying to accuse him of saying the N word to a player on the opposing team. lol

They did too. I was a huge fan of Honey Badger (Chiefs player) before he tried playing the race card, or at the very least insimulate .

He meant nothing derogatory? Nothing derogatory about calling someone an extremely charged racial slur? Are you fucking retarded?
Lol so you use a slur against the mentally challenged community to make your point?

And all the modern day Klan boys think the N word is a term of endearment since they hear Blacks say it so much.

No, this would be more akin to somebody saying the N-word, and playing dumb over the meaning after they got busted.

"Where I come from, the N-word just means dumb and ignorant. I was totally unaware of it's historical context, I swear."

"So, when you said 'they gotta stop letting all these n-word's into LA', you were just talking about dumb people?"

"Uh-huh, yep."

"But that doesn't make any sen-"

"This interview is over!"

https://sports.yahoo.com/tampa-bay-...izes-tweet-anti-asian-slur-nfl-023914496.html

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-davis-apologizes-using-anti-asian-slur-tweet

Tampa Bay Bucs CB Carlton Davis apologized for recently using an anti-Asian slur over Twitter.

"Gotta stop letting g---- in Miami," Davis wrote in the since-deleted tweet. He tried to convince everyone that it means something different in South Florida.

The funniest thing about Carlton Davis is that he's an activist for "racial inequality and justice"

What I love about these athletes is how fucking dumb they really are. They really only care about causes that affect black people and not anyone else. I mean, how a guy that is an racial activist to be completely unaware of the term that is horribly offensive to Asians and try to play dumb about it. This is almost as bad as Lebron and his "an inequality anywhere is an inequality everywhere" speech only to stay quiet about Hong Kong because it was going to hurt his wallet. This is why people shouldn't listen to athletes. Most are dumb, uneducated and horribly biased. They have room temperature IQ's and will have mushed brains when they turn 50.

Enjoy the backlash "Carlton"

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Call me crazy, but I believe him. Language is dynamic and changes meaning over time, place, different meanings in different places, etc. Where I come from, that word is just a racial/ethnic slur for East Asians, particularly from Vietnam. But the original meaning was for Koreans and it originated in the Korean War. But then it changed meaning from Koreans to Vietnamese during the Vietnam War, and that newer meaning has largely stuck.

I didn't expect to believe him at all, but I looked into it, and the South Florida specific slang refers to someone who's lame, wack, stupid or foolish. It's basically what you would call a goof in other places (which apparently is also a prison slang term for pedophiles, showing how dynamic language is). The So Flo definition has been on Urban Dictionary for four years already and has more likes than dislikes (usually when the definition for a slang term on there sucks, it gets badly ratio'd).

In conclusion, given the context and how open he was about it and his position and what he had to lose, I doubt he would have put it out there like that if he knew how most people were going to take it. Also, as a mixed person who's sort of gone between both worlds, the way blacks and whites use language can sometimes be the exact opposite.

Rappers like Eazy-E have songs where they talk about "riding that cock". It inadvertently sounds gay AF, but in a lot of black communities, cock (usually spelled "cawk") refers to female genitalia rather than male. So when Eazy made the lyric "ho, ho, ho and away we go/while I'm riding that cawk under the mistletoe", he wasn't trying to come out of the closet, he just meant he was getting some pussy on Christmas.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gook

Will he get the Kevin Durant treatment or Meyers Leonard treatment?

He's black so I'm sure we can all assume he'll get a pass on his racism.

No one got a pass from the NBA...they were both fined the maximum 50k under the CBA.

Miami then dealt Leonard, a choice that considered his health status, contract status, and on-court value to the team...all of which were very different when looking at Durant in Brooklyn

If you want to criticize Brooklyn for not doing something more, that's fine...but there is no 'pass' based on race here, contrary to the narrative some are trying to spin.

Tbh I believe him, that entry has been there for a few years and South Florida does have its own weird slang. I remember a friend of mine calling a joint a "white boy" and I was like "wat? Just call it a joint" but apparently that's what they call joints down in SF.

Still, kinda crazy he didn't know that term was offensive to Asians. To be fair to him its not that commonly used, feels like it was more common during the Vietnam War for obvious reasons but lots of young people born well after that war don't have much exposure to it. I've been mostly exposed to it through movies from that era.

He meant nothing derogatory? Nothing derogatory about calling someone an extremely charged racial slur? Are you fucking retarded?
Do some research into it on your own end like I did, but I can also provide you with some sources. There's lots of corroborating evidence that in the area where he grew up (South Florida), the term is used in a non racial/racist way rather than as a racial slur.

http://citrusrap.com/blog/2016/09/09/denzel-curry-gook-video/

If you look at the etymology of the word, it's rather dynamic and has changed meaning and application over time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gook

It seems rather apparent to me that when you look at his comments in context, he was guilty of ignorance but not prejudice. He's apologized and he's removed the term from his lexicon. What more do you want?

Oh its OK, he was only talking about the uppity "g***s."

yes...yes he is. and a troll.
I know we don't usually agree, but you seem like a somewhat reasonable and fair minded person who can admit when he's wrong or can simply state the truth. Look into the South Florida specific slang usage of the term which is not applied in a racist or even racial way. The dude wasn't being racist, he was simply unaware of how people outside of the area where he grew up use the term. He's now apologized and agreed not to use the word moving forward.

http://citrusrap.com/blog/2016/09/09/denzel-curry-gook-video/

Hell, if you look at the etymology of the term, the first published use was against black Haitians by US soldiers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gook

If he was a Republican you'd be calling this cancel culture.

You ask someone from the left they'll tell you the punishment should fit the crime. If he says something offensive publicly but apologizes immediately, that seems fair. If a public figure has a history of being offensive, you'd think an organization would enforce COC rules.

The only calls from the right for Davis to be cancelled are because it points out the hypocrisy. Personally, I think Davis is a liar and he knew exactly what he was saying. Athletes who act as "equal rights activists" are just doing it for street cred and to get love on social media. Now, Davis apologized and I think he should be forgiven. Everybody makes mistakes. But the level of forgiveness should be equal across the board. However, we've seen that this is not the case at all.

False equivalency and you know it. There's actually corroborating evidence here from years back that it's a non racial South Florida slang term. Whereas we know for a fact that the Klan and their ilk use it to express hate not a term of endearment.

I blame white people. We've been setting up the asian v black race war for years now.

Call me crazy, but I believe him. Language is dynamic and changes meaning over time, place, different meanings in different places, etc. Where I come from, that word is just a racial/ethnic slur for East Asians, particularly from Vietnam. But the original meaning was for Koreans and it originated in the Korean War. But then it changed meaning from Koreans to Vietnamese during the Vietnam War, and that newer meaning has largely stuck.

I didn't expect to believe him at all, but I looked into it, and the South Florida specific slang refers to someone who's lame, wack, stupid or foolish. It's basically what you would call a goof in other places (which apparently is also a prison slang term for pedophiles, showing how dynamic language is). The So Flo definition has been on Urban Dictionary for four years already and has more likes than dislikes (usually when the definition for a slang term on there sucks, it gets badly ratio'd).

In conclusion, given the context and how open he was about it and his position and what he had to lose, I doubt he would have put it out there like that if he knew how most people were going to take it. Also, as a mixed person who's sort of gone between both worlds, the way blacks and whites use language can sometimes be the exact opposite.

Rappers like Eazy-E have songs where they talk about "riding that cock". It inadvertently sounds gay AF, but in a lot of black communities, cock (usually spelled "cawk") refers to female genitalia rather than male. So when Eazy made the lyric "ho, ho, ho and away we go/while I'm riding that cawk under the mistletoe", he wasn't trying to come out of the closet, he just meant he was getting some pussy on Christmas.

TBH, South Florida has a very lax and borderline naive attitude towards casual racism, I'm sure you encountered it while living there yourself. I could see it being a slang term that became detached from the ethnic/racial connotations it originally had, kinda like how most Americans that say they got "gypped" don't even know who the Roma are, nevermind knowing that the term negatively refers to them. But it is still a pretty negative term and in this day and age people should generally work to get slurs out of their vocabulary even if they were raised to think otherwise.

False equivalency and you know it. There's actually corroborating evidence here from years back that it's a non racial South Florida slang term. Whereas we know for a fact that the Klan and their ilk use it to express hate not a term of endearment.

Just say what you really mean. Blacks ALWAYS get a pass. Whites NEVER get a pass. Just say it.

They did too. I was a huge fan of Honey Badger (Chiefs player) before he tried playing the race card, or at the very least insimulate .

He 100% was trying to insinuate that Brady called him the N-word. He's a piece of shit. He was talking trash and got beat. I understand he was upset the Chiefs were getting donkey punched, but he had already earned a ring the year prior and should've been able to be a man about it and not try to tarnish the legacy of the greatest quarterback to ever play the game.

It might mean one thing as a secondary term in South Florida but no way they didn't know what it's actual meaning was. I guess if you're under the age of 10 and have never seen any war movie made in the 70's, 80's or 90's. Never been friends with any Asians, or know absolutely nothing about Asian culture in general.

Back