Media Rafael Fiziev Says Creation of UFC 165lb Division "Isn't Just a Rumor, It's Already Happening For Sure"

They would have to get rid of 170 and move it to 175. I think there is where most of the resistance is at. I don't think it really dilutes the division. If anything people can compete in between 155 and 165. Matchmaking will be easier and there will be less rank sitting. They will also accommodate for short notice fights. The roster for the UFC is honestly very big.

I don't think this division benefits someone like Fizzy. He is already a little short at 155.
I can see fighters like Rafa benefitting from 165 in a way, because hopefully the biggest cutters, who struggle to make 155, will go up to 165.

It's supernecesary.

The problem is how it affects the upper divisions, because the 170, 185 and 205 should be changed as well.

According to Fiziev, the UFC are actually working on introducing a new 165 pounds division and this isn't just a rumor.

“This is not a rumor,” Fiziev told Russian outlet Ushatayka.

“This is already for sure as far as I know. I heard that this is already true and even they have already fought, they even identified something there, I heard. Yes.”

Thoughts?

Yeah, water down the best division in MMA (LW) and make already not-so-good WW division even worse.
Dumb idea.

It is like wanting more women division when there is atrocity called Women's featherweight division.
It is good as it is. Changes are bad.

And F everybody who thinks this is good idea.

He is short for 155 and already gasses from carrying all that muscle around. Why does her care?

As long as Conor has nothing to do with 165 lb belt when he returns I'm fine with this but if this is being brought in just so Conor mcgregor can fight for a title I'm fucking done watching the UFC...ill stilll watch MMA but the brand UFC is done for me

Champs jumping weight classes all over the place to get multiple belts

Nah

As long as Conor has nothing to do with 165 lb belt when he returns I'm fine with this but if this is being brought in just so Conor mcgregor can fight for a title I'm fucking done watching the UFC...ill stilll watch MMA but the brand UFC is done for me
<DontBelieve1>

I'm for a 165 lb division. There's enough talent at LW and WW for this to happen. Shavkat is 17-0 or something and can't get a title shot.

I can see fighters like Rafa benefitting from 165 in a way, because hopefully the biggest cutters, who struggle to make 155, will go up to 165.
I think he needs to lose some muscle. He’s a striker that relies on speed+ power. He’s going to be at more disadvantage in terms of reach at 165 lbs. The guys aren’t going to get shorter.

Lighter weight classes are prone to getting jammed, a lot of big names, 165 makes sense.

I think he needs to lose some muscle. He’s a striker that relies on speed+ power. He’s going to be at more disadvantage in terms of reach at 165 lbs. The guys aren’t going to get shorter.
I was thinking about him staying at 155 and fighters who only can make weight in Abu Dhabi going to 165, so they can fight more often and in some other places too.
But I agree, he can lose some muscle and be even faster.

I'm down with it as long as 175 comes with it, and 170 is removed. And add 195 as well. Then it'd be 10 lb symmetry all the way from 125 to 205. I know people will whine about "oh it's make these divisions shallower". That sorts itself out over time and in the end i think it'd be a net gain. Make 175 be welterweight moving forward, have 165 be like Junior Welterweight. And 195 be cruiserweight.
Instead of adding 195, I'd shift middleweight up to 190.

Fiziev is nowhere near high up enough to know about anything before anyone else.

I dont know if it's what they want. They could have done this years ago. Why now instead of before?
I was just responding with a hypothetical to the other fella's claim that the UFC would "just be watering down the promotion", which is exactly what they're doing based on the last couple of years.

But to answer your question - we are now in the WWE era and this promotion has been as far away from a meritocracy as it's ever been. In other words: the UFC's strategy is to become more of an entertainment circus instead of a legitimate sports promotion. Of course you could say this was the case before the WWE merger, but there's levels, and if you read between the lines, with statements being made such as "fighters with big personalities will receive "opportunities" after their retirement", the creation of a (now recurring) BMF belt, and Power Slap as some examples, their strategy seems perfectly clear to me.

Adding a division adds a belt to fight for which means more hype.

Reactions: HHJ
Would be good for Ian Garry based on his California weight on fight day results.

Back