Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Yeah War Zone really didn’t appeal to me at all. Ray Stevenson (RIP) seemed like a good choice for the character but I didn’t enjoy that film and was surprised there was a pretty solid contingent of viewers that thought it was the best Punisher film.
I've always heard mixed things about it. If I remember right it was promoted as the "answer" to the Jane Punisher.

that’d be me. easily the best Punisher movie. Lexi Alexander was hurled into a really tough spot—an opportunity to direct her first studio film came across her desk, a sink or swim career moment, but was saddled w/ a shite script & paltry budget. she made the absolute best of it by going the way of batshit lunacy. unfortunately, the box office returns would basically be a nail the coffin of her career, over before it could get started. it’s too bad. she turned shit into gonzo gold imo

Poor Things (2023) - Mark Ruffalo, Emma Stone. The story was pretty cool, very old school elegance with a goth aspect to it. A travelling type story.

Ruffalo was hilariously unhinged and deserves the Oscar more than Downey IMO. If you wanna see Emma Stone fucked in almost every other scene, you’ll love this one.

Definitely a recommend from me.

CONGO (1995)

Was thinking maybe this would be better than I remember. It wasn't. Tim Curry and Ernie Hudson bring some screen presence compared to the rest of the cast but even then Ernie's accent is more all over the place than Princess Leia or Kevin Costner's Robin Hood.

The nice trained gorilla with the sign language communicator makes for a likable character. Really cute with the speaking voice box and the most likable person or thing in the movie. But the action with the evil gorillas is a joke. It must have really not worked in camera for them to have gone with the intentional freeze frame-ish effect when the shit goes down. Must have looked awful as normal footage.

5.0 / 10 and that's kind of generous.

My Dad really loved Michael Crichton books in the 90s and he really liked the original Jurassic Park movie, but he was very disappointed with Congo and Sphere. I’ve never read any of the books, and I haven’t seen Congo or Sphere since they first came out, but I remember them not being very good.

My Dad really loved Michael Crichton books in the 90s and he really liked the original Jurassic Park movie, but he was very disappointed with Congo and Sphere. I’ve never read any of the books, and I haven’t seen Congo or Sphere since they first came out, but I remember them not being very good.

I read and watched Congo back in the day. Neither the book nor the movie made a big impression and I liked several Crichton books myself.

Halloween kills

-

I dont know. It borders on self parody a bit, especially when it comes to playing on the invincible killer thing. It makes for some entertainingly goofy scenes at times, but part of the fun of the franchise in that regard was always that it was eye rolling but never felt like it was winking at the camera.

Like I said it has a few moments I enjoyed but overall I wasnt a big fan of the tone of this at all.

5.6/10 range

Halloween kills

-

I dont know. It borders on self parody a bit, especially when it comes to playing on the invincible killer thing. It makes for some entertainingly goofy scenes at times, but part of the fun of the franchise in that regard was always that it was eye rolling but never felt like it was winking at the camera.

Like I said it has a few moments I enjoyed but overall I wasnt a big fan of the tone of this at all.

5.6/10 range

I thought almost the entire movie sucked but the moment where Michael Myers puts his mask back on in the street to the new John Carpenter score nearly brought the movie to a 5 for me with that alone.

This trilogy somehow managed to seem less planned out than the Star Wars sequels.

I thought almost the entire movie sucked but the moment where Michael Myers puts his mask back on to the new John Carpenter score after getting shitkicked nearly brought the movie to a 5 for me with that alone.

Yeah the score was good, I guess carpenter and his son worked and tweaked it for this.

The Night Flier 1997
1709306185846.jpeg

It's decent enough, but could have been so much better. It has a TV movie feel, fits in nicely with the likes of The Langoliers, TommyKnockers, It etc, it's lightweight but does have a few R rated moments.
I like Miguel Ferrer but he really isn't strong enough to pull off this gritty, tough journalist. I'd like to have seen someone a little more understated and brooding in the role, maybe a Gary Cole or Richard Thomas.
I'm going to read the story again soon, I'm sure this could be remade into a decent mini-series or a much darker movie. Far too little time is spent on the character of Dwight Renfield, there is a HUGE back story that could be created and expanded

rated lose the arm/10

one of my good friends looks just like joe spinell. i’ll see if i have a picture

Red Rooms might be movie of the year for me. i know its only march but it was way better than i thought it would be. The main actress was phenomenal. it's like it was female Nightcrawler. It's hard for women in movies, especially young and pretty, to be able to portray weirdness that borders on creepy and uncomfortable, and she somehow managed to.
great stuff.

Red Rooms might be movie of the year for me. i know its only march but it was way better than i thought it would be. The main actress was phenomenal. it's like it was female Nightcrawler. It's hard for women in movies, especially young and pretty, to be able to portray weirdness that borders on creepy and uncomfortable, and she somehow managed to.
great stuff.
i’ve been singing the praises of Red Rooms since November! i’m so glad someone not only finally watched it, but also totally loved it as much as i did. it was my “surprise best” movie of 2023 & fifth best/favorite overall. easily one of the most effortlessly modern movies i’ve seen since maybe Under the Silver Lake or Ghostbox Cowboy, both from 2018

seriously, everyone should seek this one out. it’ll stick w/ you.

Spaceman

-

New Adam Sandler scifi film on netflix.

I went into this blind. It definitely has similarities to/draws influence from films like Moon, interstellar, the Martian, high life etc, to differing degrees. "The affect of isolation in space on the mind" type of film.

I think what might set this apart or at least gives it a unique stamp is Paul Dano's character and the bond he ends up making with Sandler. It adds a sort of heartwarming...almost fantasy friendship element to things, which builds up to some good to greatish emotional moments.

There are some weaker elements to the script and story, but overall the film has good atmosphere, good visuals, good performances by Dano, Sandler, and Mulligan, as well as a good amount of heart.

7/10 range

Dune 2 (USA, 2024)

Denis Villeneuve only makes great films. This film is among his greatest accomplishments. Audacious. Magnificent. Whatever superlatives you prefer, Villeneuve has earned them.

This is a modern science fiction masterpiece. It is stunningly beautiful and brilliantly executed. It is truly immersive cinematic storytelling. The 2:45 run time passed in a flash.

Villeneuve has brought Herbert's world to life. This is the sort of film that I am going to see again in the theatre and I look forward to watching it every few years for the rest of my life.

Dune Messiah seems likely to happen and when it does, Villeneuve's story will be complete.

I was never thrilled with the choice of Chalamet as Paul but hand's down Timmy C delivers a great performance, especially in the 3rd act when Paul finally accepts his terrible fate and we see his ruthlessness finally and fully unleashed.

This film is full of overwhelming scenes but to single out a few: Paul's first worm ride was great. As was the
final fight between Paul and Feyd-Rautha. The scene is beautifully shot, we understand the characters as distorted reflections of the other, and the fight is kinetic and brutal. It is a lesson that climatic fights do not have to be drawn out to have maximum impact.
. I could list a dozen other scenes that are burned into my brain.

Villeneuve's departures from the novel were both necessary and additive. Some I liked. Some less so. But I understood them and, on balance, they make the film better.

I could quibble about this and that. Walken is not a great choice the Emperor. He is not terrible, I am just really aware that I am watching Christopher Walken and wondering why the Emperor of the known universe has that accent. I was sad that
Thufir Hawat was removed from the second film
but I understand why he had to be cut. For people who are not familiar with the novel, some parts of the ending
including how Paul forms an alliance with the Guild and thereby provides the Freman with the transportation they need to take their Jihad to the stars
may be confusing. Feyd-Rautha could have been toned down a bit (not so much Butler's performance but the character itself).

I was going to rate this a 9 or 9.5 because it is not perfect, but fuck it - this is as good as films get. Nothing is ever perfect. Dune 2 is a masterpiece.

Rating: 10/10

Spaceman

-

New Adam Sandler scifi film on netflix.

I went into this blind. It definitely has similarities to/draws influence from films like Moon, interstellar, the Martian, high life etc, to differing degrees. "The affect of isolation in space on the mind" type of film.

I think what might set this apart or at least gives it a unique stamp is Paul Dano's character and the bond he ends up making with Sandler. It adds a sort of heartwarming...almost fantasy friendship element to things, which builds up to some good to greatish emotional moments.

There are some weaker elements to the script and story, but overall the film has good atmosphere, good visuals, good performances by Dano, Sandler, and Mulligan, as well as a good amount of heart.

7/10 range

I read Spaceman of Bohemia a few years ago and I enjoyed it. I have been on the fence about the film because I am not a Sandler fan (Uncut Gems being the exception).

I read Spaceman of Bohemia a few years ago and I enjoyed it. I have been on the fence about the film because I am not a Sandler fan (Uncut Gems being the exception).

I'd say check it out. I dont think this is a film that will appeal to everyone though. Havent read spaceman of bohemia so not sure how different it will be.

Dune 2 (USA, 2024)

Denis Villeneuve only makes great films. This film is among his greatest accomplishments. Audacious. Magnificent. Whatever superlatives you prefer, Villeneuve has earned them.

This is a modern science fiction masterpiece. It is stunningly beautiful and brilliantly executed. It is truly immersive cinematic storytelling. The 2:45 run time passed in a flash.

Villeneuve has brought Herbert's world to life. This is the sort of film that I am going to see again in the theatre and I look forward to watching it every few years for the rest of my life.

Dune Messiah seems likely to happen and when it does, Villeneuve's story will be complete.

I was never thrilled with the choice of Chalamet as Paul but hand's down Timmy C delivers a great performance, especially in the 3rd act when Paul finally accepts his terrible fate and we see his ruthlessness finally and fully unleashed.

This film is full of overwhelming scenes but to single out a few: Paul's first worm ride was great. As was the
final fight between Paul and Feyd-Rautha. The scene is beautifully shot, we understand the characters as distorted reflections of the other, and the fight is kinetic and brutal. It is a lesson that climatic fights do not have to be drawn out to have maximum impact.
. I could list a dozen other scenes that are burned into my brain.

Villeneuve's departures from the novel were both necessary and additive. Some I liked. Some less so. But I understood them and, on balance, they make the film better.

I could quibble about this and that. Walken is not a great choice the Emperor. He is not terrible, I am just really aware that I am watching Christopher Walken and wondering why the Emperor of the known universe has that accent. I was sad that
Thufir Hawat was removed from the second film
but I understand why he had to be cut. For people who are not familiar with the novel, some parts of the ending
including how Paul forms an alliance with the Guild and thereby provides the Freman with the transportation they need to take their Jihad to the stars
may be confusing. Feyd-Rautha could have been toned down a bit (not so much Butler's performance but the character itself).

I was going to rate this a 9 or 9.5 because it is not perfect, but fuck it - this is as good as films get. Nothing is ever perfect. Dune 2 is a masterpiece.

Rating: 10/10
better than BR2049?

great write up! really looking forward to seeing this bad boy

Watching Carter:

MV5BZDMzYTYwMjEtODNmMy00NDI3LTg1N2UtMDc1YWUyMmI4NjE2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQyMTMwOTk0._V1_.jpg

It’s pretty bad. Not even “so bad it’s good”, it’s “so bad it sucks ass”.

better than BR2049?

great write up! really looking forward to seeing this bad boy

I love BR2049 so much. I hate to even compare them. I probably prefer Dune 2 ever so slightly because I have loved the novels since I was 10 and Villeneuve brought them to life. But really they are two masterpieces.

I look forward to your reaction to Dune 2 when you see it.

Back to BR2049, when I saw it in the theatre I really liked it but I found it packed almost too densely. There were enough ideas for 2 films. That made it a little slow for me. I also felt like the Ford callback was banking too heavily on nostalgia. It felt like a 7.5 type of film.

Having rewatched it several times since then I can confidently say I was a complete dumbass at the time. It is a 9.5 type film. Every time I watch it I see more layers to what Villeneuve was doing. For example, I did not really understand the Luv character in terms of motivations from scene to scene. The last time I watched the film I focused only her during her scenes and I saw all these tiny little details that had eluded me. It is a film designed to be re-watched as each viewing opens up another layer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epsteins Guard
Back