Real talk could Gane stop Dan Severns game?

i think all of the old school guys were way tougher, built differently, and used to fight three fights in one night. they were a different breed. if you matched them up in their absolute prime vs any new school fighter, it would be competitive as fuck.

i think all of the old school guys were way tougher, built differently, and used to fight three fights in one night. they were a different breed. if you matched them up in their absolute prime vs any new school fighter, it would be competitive as fuck.

A different breed because it was a different sport basically. I can buy guys later on being competitive in any era but going back to the first few UFC's and saying those versions of those guys would hang with the top guys of today is a step too far imo.

A different breed because it was a different sport basically. I can buy guys later on being competitive in any era but going back to the first few UFC's and saying those versions of those guys would hang with the top guys of today is a step too far imo.
the quantity of fights was the difference. and the old breed were ready, willing, and lived up to it. i doubt many fighters of this era would even agree to it, let alone be able to carry it out. a prime coleman, frye, randleman, couture, shamrock, maurice smith, in their absolute tournament primes would give modern day warriors trouble, in the same format.

the quantity of fights was the difference. and the old breed were ready, willing, and lived up to it. i doubt many fighters of this era would even agree to it, let alone be able to carry it out. a prime coleman, frye, randleman, couture, shamrock, maurice smith, in their absolute tournament primes would give modern day warriors trouble, in the same format.

That doesn't say anything to fighting ability. Being tough and being good are not the same thing.

Those fighters were good but saying they'd beat up today's fighters because they fought in tournaments are silly. That was simply the format. All those fighters adapted to more modern formats because...that's what was available. It's not like Randy Courture went to Vale Tudo fights in the 2000s. He hawked for big purses on PPVs and title shots with months of training like any other fighter.

I think most of those guys would be reasonably good but I just think the whole "OH MAN THEY FOUGHT NO HOLDS BARRED!" is bro science. Fighters still fight no hold barred today. Promotions still fighters fight more than once per night. There are still promotions with crappy purses.

That doesn't say anything to fighting ability. Being tough and being good are not the same thing.

Those fighters were good but saying they'd beat up today's fighters because they fought in tournaments are silly. That was simply the format. All those fighters adapted to more modern formats because...that's what was available. It's not like Randy Courture went to Vale Tudo fights in the 2000s. He hawked for big purses on PPVs and title shots with months of training like any other fighter.
it says everything to their fighting ability, to be able to compete and suffer for multiple matches in a night. they adapted, cause the business changed. i'm saying i don't think this newer generation could hang in the same format, and those guys in their primes would have a competitive fight against modern day fighters in their prime. the HW division is weak af. prior to jon jones entering, you're telling me a prime coleman, severn wouldn't easily double leg most of these nongrappling HWs? their wrestling accolations alone are greater than the other HW modern day counterparts.

Well I guess current fighters don't train for multiple fights in one night and weirdly enough in the US it seems to be only Invicta that does it regularly.

So maybe they win their first fight then pull out of the next one with a broken hand.

Well I guess current fighters don't train for multiple fights in one night and weirdly enough in the US it seems to be only Invicta that does it regularly.

So maybe they win their first fight then pull out of the next one with a broken hand.
which proves my point

The truth is always in the middle. A lot of guys from those days would get obliterated by modern day fighters.

With that said there were guys from that era who could most definitely impose their will on the one dimensional fighters of today.

Cyril Gane would have a very hard time of stopping someone like Dan Severn, Mark Kerr or Mark Coleman from dragging him down and brutalizing him. He'd also get very tired under the pressure or a Keer or Coleman with no time limits.

If Derrick Lewis got taken down by 46 yeae old Oleinik and put into a hold until the round 1 bell saved him then someone like Prime Taktarov with no time limits would have a good chance of taking him to deep water and finishing him.

I also think a prime Tank Abbott could brawl with someone like Lewis and Tuivasa all day. This doenst mean I think he would win but I wouldn't be shocked if he found success in such a scenario.

Last edited:
People way over estimate the "new breed". People forget Dan Severn beat Forrest Griffin when he was in his mid 40s. The ghost of Mark Coleman only had one win in his last 4, and it was against Stephen Bonnar. So even "1-dimensional" old school guys way past their prime were still hanging with the young top guys of the modern era. Prime Severn could certainly beat Gane if he took him down. He could submit him too.

Forrest Griffin fought Dan Severn in 2001. I would not call that "modern".

That was Griffin's first fight also. How was Griffin a "top" guy back then?

Back