Returning to the mat after second vaccine...

If you can get the vaccines definitely do it. I've got my first shot and so have much of my close family.

If we want to throw around personal acedotes, my 88-year-old great aunt got COVID and was fine. A friend in his 60's got it and died. My uncle got it and was fine. Another friend in his 50's got it back in Feb 2020 and he's still suffering from long COVID. A friend who is a ICU nurse had several coworkers die from it, including a young, healthy doctor. This is a very unpredictable virus and part of the problem is that so many people can get it and be fine so it keeps spreading.

I grew up around hippy anti-vaxxers and alt medicine believers so I'm familiar with all the fears over big pharma and the evils of mainstream medicine and instead putting faith in supplements and natural cures gurus. Thankfully my grandparents were both doctors and my grandmother worked in public health so my mom made sure I got all my shots as a kid.

"Mainstream" medicine is looking at Vitamin D in relation to COVID but the data isn't very strong yet in either direction but it's not going to stop the current spread:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(21)00003-6/fulltext

Vitamins and "building a healthy immune system" are fine but these vaccines are even better.

If you can only get the J&J shot and you're worried it isn't as good, check out this video - in short all the vaccines are equally effective in preventing hospitalization and deaths which is what really matters:

The vaccines don't change your DNA and it's not gene therapy. It provokes an immune reaction to a specific protein that the virus needs in order to infect a cell. The science behind this is actually really cool. I'm excited for future mRNA vaccines because they open a lot of new avenues for vaccine development.

Looking at the 99.7% survivability rate and saying "I'll take those odds" is a shortsighted view. Let's say the case-mortality rate is 0.3% like people keep posting (I find a number more like 1.5% elsewhere but whatever). So that's 3 people dying out of every 1000 people who get it. Given how a virus can spread exponentially, that quickly becomes millions of (now preventable) deaths, even if you're lucky enough to not be one of them. Check out the latest global infection/death stats:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Before you say "but what about heart attacks, what about flu deaths, what about car crashes...", we already do a ton to prevent those deaths too: annual flu vaccines, car safety standards, etc. But COVID is a new (and now preventable!) cause of death and it's already in the top 3 causes of death in the US:

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...e-of-death-in-2020-people-of-color-hit-hardes

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org...-one-cause-of-death-in-the-u-s-in-early-2021/

The jury is still out on if being vaccinated prevents you from spreading it but research to answer that is under way:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00450-z

What I've seen doctors and scientists predict is that viral load should be lower so you'd expect the risks of spreading a serious infection to be lower too.

Bill Gates didn't say he wants to kill billions of people with a vaccine. He has talked about reducing mortality rates with vaccines while also giving more people access to birth control so they can choose when to have kids. That's what "reduce population GROWTH" means, not killing a bunch of people because he's a James Bond villain lol:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bill-gates-vaccinations-depopulation/

Great posts, thank you.

I trained three times this week. Sat/sun/wed. I also signed up for whoop. I’m getting lots of cool data while training. I’m working with a physical therapist to address some structural imbalances in my body.
I bought some minimalist sandals/running shoes. It makes me want to jump on rocks, climb trees, and rub my feet on redwood tree roots.
Things are moving fast!

Back on topic........

It's been a couple weeks. What did you end up doing? Back to the mat?

I also got in more sessions after a year away.
The challenge is, our gym is so full we've been doing the 30-40 minutes of rolling as "top, bottom, out". So you break into groups of 3, and one guy starts on top for 2 minutes (going hard for submission), start on bottom for 2 minutes, and then 2 minutes of rest.
I keep getting paired with all the black belts / competition guys- and my cardio is not up to par. The technique and thoughts are there, but timing and cardio are missing, especially at this level of intensity. I miss my blue belt rest rounds! LOL. Feels so good to be back.

I had last trained in December of 2019. Was already taking a short break from BJJ at that point because of life stuff, then Covid was coming so I decided to see what was going to happen there. I have breathing problems and so does my girlfriend, so we took it seriously. I did nothing but run, lift, and surf after that point, zero training with other people.

Got my 2nd vaccine Tuesday, trained on Thursday for the first time and then just did my 2nd class back this afternoon. Planning to be on the mat a lot over the next few months to get my game back on point. I rolled like absolute shit on Thursday but I think that was mostly due to the vaccine. Felt a lot better today and moved decently.

I've come back from long layoffs before and it doesn't take too long for me to feel like I can hold my own with guys my level again. I never let myself get out of shape though. I'm actually in better condition now than before the break, just need to get my timing and composure back and build back up a bit in the areas that don't get worked when you aren't getting mat time in.

As far as precautions, I took Covid extremely seriously since the beginning and almost never took real risks. I will still wear a mask in public but other than that, my life goes back to normal now. My family and close friends are vaccinated. I'm going back to everything I did before.

Got my second dose of Moderna today. Kesting just released a good podcast with a NYC doc talking about when to return to training and figuring out your personal risk and the risks to those in your life. I'm going to give my 5G a few weeks to sync up then I'll see about going back to BJJ, maybe starting with just some vaccinated training partners (also because I'm starting night classes in college and won't be able to train/teach at the times I used to).

Got my second dose of Moderna today. Kesting just released a good podcast with a NYC doc talking about when to return to training and figuring out your personal risk and the risks to those in your life. I'm going to give my 5G a few weeks to sync up then I'll see about going back to BJJ, maybe starting with just some vaccinated training partners (also because I'm starting night classes in college and won't be able to train/teach at the times I used to).

This is a very good listen.

Killer sources.

To anyone well informed on immunology your post is a train wreck of professional sounding words nonsensically held together with duct tape of conspiracy theories. 0/10 posts.

Natural News makes InfoWars look professional.

Guys, just watched this video by a Medical Professional and I like how its presented.

Lots of great info:

ZDogMD is awesome.

A lot of his shtick is workplace humor for people in hospital environment but it's hysterical if you've worked in medicine.

Some of his stuff is more academic, focused on dispelling nonsense. Other videos are based around the premise of Dr Darth Vader working in a hospital in full Vader costume + labcoat spouting out lines like "Parents, vaccinate your spawn or you will spread PESTILENCE THROUGHOUT THE GALAXY".

Congrats bro.
I got the vaccine... first dose and since Trudeau is a shitty prime minister, I have to wait 4 months for the 2nd.
I been rolling illegally since June last year, we had a 3 month break. Didn't get sick a single time, I think I had C19 in Feb 2020 though as the whole gym got sick. Only felt flu-ish for a week. Not a single outbreak since even from new faces.
I can see why people with at-risk family would be concerned but I would rather have life with a little risk then have no life with no risk and live in solitary confinement. If Canada had a Texas, I would move there as I am tired of this shit and no matter how hard you lockdown it doesn't stop the virus at all.

I also got in more sessions after a year away.
The challenge is, our gym is so full we've been doing the 30-40 minutes of rolling as "top, bottom, out". So you break into groups of 3, and one guy starts on top for 2 minutes (going hard for submission), start on bottom for 2 minutes, and then 2 minutes of rest.
I keep getting paired with all the black belts / competition guys- and my cardio is not up to par. The technique and thoughts are there, but timing and cardio are missing, especially at this level of intensity. I miss my blue belt rest rounds! LOL. Feels so good to be back.
We do this at my gym, it's brutal. Particularly if you get paired up with skillful well conditioned partners.

We do this at my gym, it's brutal. Particularly if you get paired up with skillful well conditioned partners.
I think it accelerated my return / knocked the rust off in a hurry. But it was a rough couple of weeks to be sure. STill getting the cardio up to that level of intensity, but harder in my 40's.

If Canada had a Texas, I would move there as I am tired of this shit and no matter how hard you lockdown it doesn't stop the virus at all.

Yea we stopped for a month. Did 2 weeks of distance training. Then back to normal. I missed about 3 months total of class since this started. Part of it for my school and then the other half because my wife begged me to take more time off.

I live in Australia in a state that had a very hard lockdown for 4-6 months. We are finally back to normal with it appearing to be eradicated outside hotel quarantine slip ups.

I worked the whole time and work in a job that invloved multiple contacts with covid positive people and never caught it. I quarantined once whilst waiting for test results when a coworker in my area tested positive. I was in a smaller room within a couple metres of him for 8 hours and caught nothing.

My organisation is offerring the vaccine to people but I won't be taking it at this time. Everyone I know has gotten seriously sick from it and needed time off work and I am only 30 years old with no medical issues.

Interestingly I got the common cold recently after my partner and infant son got sick. It was the worst cold I have ever had and I was out for 2 weeks. It wasn't covid and I ended up on antibiotics for the first time in 15 years. I still have long term sinus issues.

I think these long term lockdowns are going to have worse results with common sicknesses having to mutate to survive being locked away from everyone. Immunities will be down due to no outside interaction. I think over the next 5 years we will see an uptick in deaths from common colds, flus etc as a result of what we have done for covid. This is my anecdotal opinion though and I have no studies to back this.

Yeah Im not very bright, I am a medical provider that spent 6.5 years in higher education and then have to sit back and watch all the sheep people freak out and destroy society over a virus that didnt even harm most of my 80-90 year old patients. Bunch of pathetic clowns you people are. Keep on doing what you're told by politicians and politically appointed doctors though.

So basically you're a nurse at an urgent care and that now gives you credentials to comment on public health policy re: a virus thats ravaged the globe. Roger that.

https://www.brighteon.com/257797f0-06fa-4596-be69-af71bb3adc21

If you already haven’t committed time delayed suicide by the death jab, you will want to see the above video.
If your life isn’t worth the time it takes to listen to the video, the article below gives a summary

https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-03...people-are-walking-biological-time-bombs.html

You can’t say you weren’t warned.

it's not covid-19 that should concern you, it's the moronavirus that's obviously been flowing unopposed through your brain cells that is the problem here.

All that education and experience and yet here you are countering public health policy with anecdotal evidence in a sample size of you and your immediate peers (to the exclusion of anybody your gym mates and you may have infected, their outcomes, and the outcomes of those that they have infected). As if the transmission chain ends at your gym and all outcomes are measured there.

Like minded people are in here have friendly conversation about training after getting vaccinated, and your contribution is to blunder in with a "hurr durr people are sheep" comment.

This isn't a Covid debate thread, it's people talking about waiting to train till they've been vaccinated. Personal choices that have nothing to do with you and your bullshit. If your only contribution is to come in here for the sole purpose of being a dick, fuck off.

Plenty of places in the world for jerks to be rude to other people without provocation, let the grappling forum be free from that garbage please.
Tuskegee Syphilis Study, only stopped when they got caught. So you can see why some people do not trust the US Government. Food for thought.
I hope everyone can figure a way to get back on the mats and train.

Did my first day back yesterday post-vaccination - it's been since December 2019 since I trained (injury led into COVID).

A few things I noticed:
* had trouble dealing with super athletic and bigger/stronger guys
* had trouble relaxing despite trying, and got tired very quickly initially - even a few minutes of rolling were leaving me drained head to toe. Later on started relaxing and outputting energy more efficiently.
* everyone seemed to be moving super super fast - it was hard to execute stuff like I used to because people were able to see stuff coming and counter it
* IT WAS REALLY FUN TO GET BACK AGAIN AND SEE EVERYONE, MAN I MISSED THAT

Back