Returning to the mat after second vaccine...

My shoulders have not stopped hurting since I got back. Went to 4 classes the first week, 3 the next, and I've been going to one a week since then because my joints are not used to this shit anymore. Not sure what it is, but I definitely should have eased back in more than I did.

They're slowly getting better now with less mat time, but there was a period after that 2nd week where I could barely tighten my lifting belt while squatting because they hurt so much. It's weird because I've never had shoulder issues before and it doesn't feel like an injury, just crazy joint pain. It's primarily in my left shoulder, but I feel it in both.

Might be getting too old to just bounce right back from extended layoffs.

Did the 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. class last Thursday. Good drilling and 2 medium rolls in the 1st. And 6 hard rounds in the 2nd class. Wasnt as sore as I thought on the next day. But i def felt it while rolling.

Went to class for the first time since last March on Wednesday. My school is not opening again, so I'm finding another place. Most schools in town acted like there wasn't a pandemic, and it really thinned out the list of places that I'm interested in training at.

A school by my work stayed closed for extended periods of time, and seems to have taken things a bit more seriously, so I tried it out. We wore masks while training, which is fuckin rough, but I don't mind being overly cautious.

I was still unsure about returning to open training, but with the announcement yesterday from the CDC, I feel like we've been given an all clear to return to normal training if we are vaccinated.

One day of training wiped me out for the next two days, but it was great. Turns out I still remember how to jiu jitsu, and it was awesome to be back at it.

I have play dates set up with training partners this weekend, a small group of fully vaccinated people at a home gym. I'll be doing alot of those I think, and returning to some evening open classes.

I may end up gym hopping for a while, but I'm still very turned off to train with schools that have just openly ignored COVID protocols, so my options are going to be limited. And I'm only going to partner with other vaccinated people.

All in all it's good to be back.

If you're not in an age demographic that's at high risk or don't have any health conditions. Then just train.

I dont understand some of the paranoia.
If you are in shape then train. Even better if you are vaccinated

Back