Rising grapplers taking over (and the path for Islam)

Rubios

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'd want to address three items here.

1. Let's say, although it's a Big IF, that Arman beats Olives in a convincing way.
And let's say Islam holds the belt against Dustin, or Dustin and then Justin, so Tsarukyan gets a TS against Islam.

IF the fight turns into mainly a grappling exchange, and Arman keeps up with his progress... Who'd you favor for the win in the rematch?

2. Let's say that, anytime soon, Islam does move up to WW.
Could he deal with Shavkat, who might be the champ or 1st contender in line by then?

3. Let's say Usman Nurmagomedov enters the UFC once Islam goes up in weight.
Who do you think would be the best grappler in LW between Arman, Charles and Usman?

Reactions: Gio
1. Both have improved a lot since their first fight. Either could win the rematch but I slightly favor Islam as he's got a submission game which Arman lacks, has better cardio, and is currently in his prime.

2. Shavkat wins. Size difference would be too much for Islam.

3. If by grappling, you mean submissions then it would be Oliveira. Arman is the best wrestler of the 3. We still have to see more of Usman against better competition but he might have a better overall ground game (wrestling + submissions).

I mean Poatan, Izzy, and Strickland were at the top of arguably the most competetive weight class in the organization, I'd argue they are anything but grapplers. I don't see the grappler takeover is happening completely anytime soon, the Gracie era is long gone. You have to have some sort of stand up and takedown defense to be a pro in mma for the most part.

Last edited:
I'd want to address three items here.

1. Let's say, although it's a Big IF, that Arman beats Olives in a convincing way.
And let's say Islam holds the belt against Dustin, or Dustin and then Justin, so Tsarukyan gets a TS against Islam.

IF the fight turns into mainly a grappling exchange, and Arman keeps up with his progress... Who'd you favor for the win in the rematch?

Could he deal with Shavkat, who might be the champ or 1st contender in line by then?

3. Let's say Usman Nurmagomedov enters the UFC once Islam goes up in weight.
Who do you think would be the best grappler in LW between Arman, Charles and Usman?
1. I would put money on Islam, no lightweight except maybe Khabib has a chance against him if he's in his element.

2. LW to WW is a thicc jump. The fighters in that division are a lot bigger than him so it'd be interesting. iirc only Gilbert is around his size in that division. Reach and height make a big difference, I've yet to see Islam fight somebody noticeable bigger than him so it seems wild to say he beats someone as wellrounded and large as Shavkat.

3. Haven't watch much of Usman apart from him torching apart Old Man Benson. The guy has skills and definetely would be cream of the crop in the ufc but I am unsure if he beats the best of the best like Olives or Armaan since a lot of those bellator guys are ex-ufc or just genuine levels below the ufc comp.

Reactions: Gio

PiEeCX_RtTk

Dude cuts down from around 190/200 for a reason.

3. If by grappling, you mean submissions then it would be Oliveira. Arman is the best wrestler of the 3. We still have to see more of Usman against better competition but he might have a better overall ground game (wrestling + submissions).
Yeah, I was refering to TD + ground game as a whole.
I mean Poatan, Izzy, and Strickland were at the top of arguably the most competetive weight class in the organization, I'd argue they are anything but grapplers. I don't the grappler takeover is happening completely anytime soon, the Gracie era is long gone. You have to have some sort of stand up and takedown defense to be professional in mma for the most part.

I didn't mean that grapplers will reign in the UFC. I dunno.

Today, I guess we can agree on Islam having the best ground game in MMA. I am asking if you believe this largely accepted view could/will change in the near future.

Yeah, I was refering to TD + ground game as a whole.

I didn't mean that grapplers will reign in the UFC. I dunno.

Today, I guess we can agree on Islam having the best ground game in MMA. I am asking if you believe this largely accepted view could/will change in the near future.
if Jones and Khamzat fought more, I could say whether or not with confidence. But yeah, I think a strong ground game has been deemed essential since UFC1, we will continue to see more collegiate wrestlers and sambo guys making the mma leap probably more so than kickboxers.

1. I would slightly favor Islam over Arman. Although Arman is the better "wrestler," Islam is a more well-rounded grappler. And maybe more importantly, Islam is also much bigger. However, in a 5-round grappling match, it might come down to who's cardio holds up the best.
  2. Shavkat is the worst possible style matchup for Islam.
  3. It's not as easy as asking "who would be the best grappler?" They all have very different grappling styles, so it would depend on the matchup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Baker
Back