Crime River Visitor Found Guilty of reckless homicide After Drunk Teenagers Harassed Him

tumblr_ofcmnh5gpm1r83d7lo2_400.gif

Edit: Mod note. This is an older incident, the verdict was recent. He was found guilty of first-degree reckless homicide, four counts of first-degree recklessly endangering safety and one count of battery. The initial charges of intentional murder were lowered to this manslaughter equivalent before the trial.

The video below shows an older man in a confrontation with group of 17-24 year olds at Apple River, Minnesota. The younger guys were taunting and hitting him - knocking him down and also strangling in the video below. Then he ends up stabbing a bunch of them as they crowded around him and 1 dies. The older man charged with 1st degree intentional homicide.

There were 13 people in total toward the end surrounding him. He just had open heart surgery so I don't think he was spoiling for a fight initially. Older man is Romanian or something and I don't think can speak English that well.

The video below is the whole uncensored vid.

According to witnesses and what I can piece together, this video was their 2nd encounter. I think the sequence of events was:

1. A group of teenagers were drinking and using drugs on the Apple River. Meanwhile, a man named Miu and his group were also drinking in the same area.

2. Miu, searching for his lost phone, went upstream. He was snorkeling, trying to find a phone. He saw a group of teenagers holding up a phone at him. They were recording, but he mistakenly thought they were showing him the phone he was looking for.

3. The young guys started yelling at Miu, accusing him of being a pedophile looking for little girls.

4. Miu dropped his goggles and started looking for them. He walked past the tubes, and the group began following him. He turned back and said something unintelligible before continuing on.

5. Miu turned and walked around the teens, returning to his original group upriver. A few people from another group started yelling in his face.

5. Two females get up in his face aggressively. They did make some physical contact.

6. (Off camera) This is the crucial moment. Allegedly, Miu hit one of the women in the face. Others say he swiped at the phone in his face. This moment is highly debated. The defense argues that the woman did not drop her drink and her sunglasses did not fall off her face, suggesting that she wasn't hit with significant force.

6. The group of young people start striking Miu. He falls into the water where he is hit some more times. While attempting to get up, he is shoved back down. It should be noted that Miu is 54 and recently had a heart attack that required triple bypass. After he "allegedly" struck the female, he was punched in the face, causing him to fall into his back in the water, where he was then slapped hard in the face multiple times while also being pushed while trying to regain his footing.

The little girls pedophile accusation kind of has a snowball effect where it becomes mob anger IMO.

In sum, I think the group of young men were bullying an old man for the fun of it and the older man overreacted killing one person and nearly killing another. I do think he had fear because who wouldn't be in the situation. Wasn't physically fit and surrounded by taunting, video taping and getting hit and shoved into water.

Also, the situation got really escalated by a karen women who's in her 20's from another separate group. When she came, it really escalated. Woman's name is Madison Coen. She claimed he punched her but cops saw no marks.

I couldn't watch but based on the summary it's unfortunate he didn't kill more (only semi-joking if the situation really is how it sounded).

As an aging man you gotta be careful with conflicts with youngsters as mob mentality. can kick in quick and you’re looked as still lion , just food. When stay in shape and try not to get to faded when out drinking. We don’t really 100 know what happened but when mobbed and carrying a weapon , any weapon ( even if you started it , ESPECIALY if you started it ) , you will 100 use it.

As an aging man you gotta be careful with conflicts with youngsters as mob mentality. can kick in quick
Probably a dumb idea to carry your phone in a river/ocean/pool/lake.
You have a 98% chance of dropping it in the water.
yeah I live in a city with large river and every year go river floating , the kind where you tie floats /rafts together , like 20 deep . I ALWAYS leave my phone at home cause invariably I’ve seen mucho phones lost.

He shouldve been givel a medal

Stupid kids dont respect elders nowadays

Let’s imagine this scenario. You’re on the bank, watching your kid float in the water.
A guy goes up to your kid, starts grabbing and puts hands all over your kid, then pulls him off their tube into the water.
Do you tell your kid to be more respectful, or do you beat the adults ass?

The video doesn’t show the beginning of the altercation, but court records show the old guy started it, and escalated it.
The old guy didn’t respect those kids to begin with. The old dude started it, couldn’t handle the consequences of his own actions, so resorted to being a bitch, and stabbed someone.

He got the jail time he deserved.

Let’s imagine this scenario. You’re on the bank, watching your kid float in the water.
A guy goes up to your kid, starts grabbing and puts hands all over your kid, then pulls him off their tube into the water.

The video doesn’t show the beginning of the altercation, but court records show the old guy started it, and escalated it.
The old guy didn’t respect those kids to begin with. The old dude started it, couldn’t handle the consequences of his own actions, so resorted to being a bitch, and stabbed someone.

You see it that black and white? I think he deserved the charge because he should have walked away. BUT.....there was a mob around him screaming and pushing him. They were laughing and taunting him. They weren't frightened or intimidated at all. THEY had the upper hand. You see him lose his snorkel and go for it. They MAY have had his phone. He looked confused and upset. He SHOULD have walked away. The woman should have NEVER gotten involved. So this isn't as black and white and also because it is just one section of the incident that is filmed. This pedophile thing is a joke....there were no children there.

I mean he basically got life in jail. Don't think he deserved life.

Imagine being 50+ years old after having heart surgery, and being ganged up on by teenage football players threatening to beat the hell out of you while being in waist-deep water.

You defend yourself, and you're convicted of 'reckless homicide,' which specific definition is 'A crime in which the perpetrator was aware that their act creates significant risk of death or grievous bodily harm in the victim, but ignores the risk and continues to act, and a human death results.'

This is a bullshit verdict which the prosecutor, judge, and jury heard the cries of the family of the teenage 'victim' and concluded the real victim of the situation should go to prison for years to appease them.

Imagine being a 50+ year old after having heart surgery, going up to a kid, and start grabbing him. You pull a kid off a tube, then you hit a woman. Then, as you're peeling yourself off the ground, because you got punched in the face for hitting a woman, you pull a knife because your fragile ego can't handle getting a taste of your own medicine, and you stab someone.

If you go around grabbing people and hitting women, you deserve to get your ass beat. Keep your hands to yourself.

You see it that black and white? I think he deserved the charge because he should have walked away. BUT.....there was a mob around him screaming and pushing him. They were laughing and taunting him. They weren't frightened or intimidated at all. THEY had the upper hand. You see him lose his snorkel and go for it. They MAY have had his phone. He looked confused and upset. He SHOULD have walked away. The woman should have NEVER gotten involved. So this isn't as black and white and also because it is just one section of the incident that is filmed. This pedophile thing is a joke....there were no children there.

Before you start shit, like trying to take a phone out of someone's hands, you should be damn sure it's yours, and not just act on assumption.

I got fooled by the OP and the video that didn’t tell the whole story. I fully believe in the right to defense. BUT you don’t get to start the conflict and then claim self defense.

He got physical with them first. They got physical back. I really do t see how anyone in here is justifying him murdering a young kid other then they are seriously bitter old people that want to see young people get their comeuppance.

He’s a murderer. Simple as that.

I got fooled by the OP and the video that didn’t tell the whole story. I fully believe in the right to defense. BUT you don’t get to start the conflict and then claim self defense.

He got physical with them first. They got physical back. I really do t see how anyone in here is justifying him murdering a young kid other then they are seriously bitter old people that want to see young people get their comeuppance.

He’s a murderer. Simple as that.
I agreed with the charge, because I saw several chances where he could have walked away. And it did look like he pulled someone off a tube. But we don't see him hit the girl. We do see him getting pushed by multiple people. Repeatedly. You don't know from a short video who started it. What if they did have his phone?Again, he still should have walked away at that point. But I am also not defending a bunch drunk idiots that are laughing and screaming at him. Grow the fuck up. If one had an issue handle it, but multiple people did and someone got killed. That dumb woman is lucky it wasn't her. He obviously didn't speak English. which didn't help.

I agreed with the charge, because I saw several chances where he could have walked away. And it did look like he pulled someone off a tube. But we don't see him hit the girl. We do see him getting pushed by multiple people. Repeatedly. You don't know from a short video who started it. What if they did have his phone?Again, he still should have walked away at that point. But I am also not defending a bunch drunk idiots that are laughing and screaming at him. Grow the fuck up. If one had an issue handle it, but multiple people did and someone got killed. That dumb woman is lucky it wasn't her. He obviously didn't speak English. which didn't help.
Well it was established that they didn’t have the phone in court and he assumed that person he yoinked out of the intertube had it. That’s not really a question.

Whether he punched a girl or not really doesn’t matter- pulling that kid out of the tube was already an assault. He had no right to do that and it’s he who initiated this confrontation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back