Media Rizin champ Juan Archuleta explains career uncertainty after PFL-Bellator merger

TorontoTO

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
PFL’s purchase of Bellator has brought a ton of uncertainty to many fighters signed by both organizations. However, for Juan Archuleta the concern is even bigger.

This is where it gets tricky. Bellator is no longer autonomous, as rival promotion PFL recently purchased it in November. Archuleta has no idea how this will impact his status as champion at Rizin and if he’ll be able to continue fighting in Japan.

“I still don’t know,” Archuleta told MMA Junkie regarding his future at Rizin. “I’ve even asked some people like, ‘Hey, what’s going on?’ I even asked Don Davis, ‘Hey, man. I was promised the Patchy Mix title (fight). Is that still going on?’ And he was just like, ‘Oh there’s going to be plenty of fights throughout the year, so we’ll see.’ I’m like, ‘Well, that’s pretty gray.’ I don’t know what’s going to happen with that.”

Archuleta is solely focused on defending his Rizin belt, but he does admit that there’s an uneasy feeling given the lack of information surrounding his future.

“Definitely uncomfortable, right?” Archuleta said. “Like you said, this is my living. I was guaranteed three or four fights with Bellator, and now you’re saying there’s not going to be as many cards in Bellator throughout the year? That’s kind of strange.

Rest of Article

What the hell is happening in that video, some type of public shaming?

Anyway, he should just try to get out of his contract and go to the UFC.
Dude is boring as fuck to watch. They don’t want him lol

His comments gave me a little conflicted. He knew he wouldn't make weight but he didn't wanna rob the fans of a good fight. That's commendable for sure. However, not making weight, no matter the reason, and getting stripped looks bad, not to mention he'll have a big weight advantage. Of course, his only other option was pulling out of the fight and if he did, that would suck too.
***EDIT***
This is NOT meant to dump on Archeleta; the whole situation just sucks.

I don't think the UFC would particularly want Archuleta tbh
this and he even mentioned that on the jaxxon podcast. UFC rarely signs guys over 35. he's not particularly exciting. i thought kim soo chul beat him honestly. strange though, he mentioned on the podcast how he's got weight cutting down, understands the science, how he can make it everytime, and then this happens? pretty weird.

PFL’s purchase of Bellator has brought a ton of uncertainty to many fighters signed by both organizations. However, for Juan Archuleta the concern is even bigger.

This is where it gets tricky. Bellator is no longer autonomous, as rival promotion PFL recently purchased it in November. Archuleta has no idea how this will impact his status as champion at Rizin and if he’ll be able to continue fighting in Japan.

“I still don’t know,” Archuleta told MMA Junkie regarding his future at Rizin. “I’ve even asked some people like, ‘Hey, what’s going on?’ I even asked Don Davis, ‘Hey, man. I was promised the Patchy Mix title (fight). Is that still going on?’ And he was just like, ‘Oh there’s going to be plenty of fights throughout the year, so we’ll see.’ I’m like, ‘Well, that’s pretty gray.’ I don’t know what’s going to happen with that.”

Archuleta is solely focused on defending his Rizin belt, but he does admit that there’s an uneasy feeling given the lack of information surrounding his future.

“Definitely uncomfortable, right?” Archuleta said. “Like you said, this is my living. I was guaranteed three or four fights with Bellator, and now you’re saying there’s not going to be as many cards in Bellator throughout the year? That’s kind of strange.

Rest of Article
If this was his living...he should have made wait. Obviously, he's not taking this too seriously

What the hell is happening in that video, some type of public shaming?

Anyway, he should just try to get out of his contract and go to the UFC.

They take weight very seriously over there. Though you wouldn’t think so since Japan is the home of the open weight and Super Hluk.. and I remember PRIDE not really being sticklers.

When Gabby Garcia missed weight they dressed her down in front of everybody and then I think she had to come back on a separate date and issue an in ring blubbering apology.

Missing weight then losing to Kai Asakura looks like he is heading no where, stay in Rizin and retire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back