Rob Whittaker beats Paulo Costa

jmboyd24

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Bobby Knuckles put on a clinic outside of a late spinning heal kick from Secret Juice in round one. What's next for both of them? I thought this was a good showing from both. Seems like the UFC is gonna do DDP vs Izzy for the middleweight title next, so I vote Costa vs Gourmet Chen Chen and Reaper vs Strickland in the meantime.

I wouldn't call that a clinic.

Rob lost round one and round 3 was very competitive.

I think the judges got the call correct, but that was not a clinic. Costa looked very good and busted up Robs face

Apart from the head kick. Whittaker was winning the entire fight. He was just ahead. It was clear to see. He’s the better fighter.

Whitaker is such a boring gatekeeper, can't stand him

I think the judges got the call correct, but that was not a clinic. Costa looked very good and busted up Robs face
he won most of the first round besides the last 5 seconds... He clearly won the 3rd.. Pulled away in the end... he out struck Costa by almost a 2-1 margin....

You could still easily give round 1 to Whittaker. He had it pocketed before the kick. As for the kick, yes it chicken danced Rob for a second, but Rob still managed to stay on his feet.

Outside of that one kick, which I agree was the most impactful strike of the fight, I think it was a clinic. Rob has been in so many wars I think he's approaching Diaz scar tissue level so it doesn't take much to make him bleed. The most damage Costa did outside of that wheel kick was checking a few of Rob's leg kicks.

Outside of that one kick, which I agree was the most impactful strike of the fight, I think it was a clinic. Rob has been in so many wars I think he's approaching Diaz scar tissue level so it doesn't take much to make him bleed. The most damage Costa did outside of that wheel kick was checking a few of Rob's leg kicks.
he out struck him i think 93-52...

Whittaker is a lot like Poirier even when they win they take a lot of damage in the process. I guess that's the risk you take when your are content to win on points or to be fair just not really gifted with that one punch KO power they gotta work a lot harder. imo

How long has Costa been out? It's been a while and probably not the best idea.

I thought Costa had a nice jab out there but that's pretty much it. His counters and combos were pretty bad imo. I mean maybe Rob is that good and it was throwing him off his rhythm.

I thought this was the best Costa has ever looked, definitely has improved for sure.

Whittaker just a little to slick for him in the end, great fucking fight though, was a banger.
He was definitely more professional leading up to the fight looked good made weight no problem. You could tell he really wanted to fight. Really good performance just started to fade more and more and let Rob get off with his punches and kicks.

Clear cut isn't looking like you got your ass kicked tho
Thats how we judge fights now... I guess Nick and Nate could never win a clear cut fight then... Reaper out struck him 93-58, a lot of those 58 were jabs...

How long has Costa been out? It's been a while and probably not the best idea.

I thought Costa had a nice jab out there but that's pretty much it. His counters and combos were pretty bad imo. I mean maybe Rob is that good and it was throwing him off his rhythm.
I'm a massive Rob fan but I think Costa deserves credit. His head kicks were very, very dangerous and he was there throwing power til the end of the fight. His chin is also ridiculous and cardio is clearly very improved. As you said, he threw a number of stiff jabs which were lightening quick and effective. Rob's rhythm is absolutely bizarre and has bamboozled everyone except Izzy and DDP at MW.

People say Rob has no power and I'm not going to say he's got insane, one hit KO power but he'd definitely be knocking people out if he wasn't facing someone in the top handful of middleweight fighters in the world every time he turns up.

I'm a massive Rob fan but I think Costa deserves credit. His head kicks were very, very dangerous and he was there throwing power til the end of the fight. His chin is also ridiculous and cardio is clearly very improved. As you said, he threw a number of stiff jabs which were lightening quick and effective. Rob's rhythm is absolutely bizarre and has bamboozled everyone except Izzy and DDP at MW.

People say Rob has no power and I'm not going to say he's got insane, one hit KO power but he'd definitely be knocking people out if he wasn't facing someone in the top handful of middleweight fighters in the world every time he turns up.
Costa is, has been and will always be very tough against anyone.. no matter how long he is out... Super talented guy... Reaper is definitley in my top 3 all time of favorite fighters... His kicks were quick.. jesus

Back