Rocky Marciano or Floyd Mayweather Jr. - Who had the better career?

Who had the better career?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Both were undefeated. And virtually had the same record with Rocky being 49-0 and Floyd being 50-0.

w9MG8Fxog-eNH7j69LLrKkNOk2f35hcZHjx2JBG3lgzM6QBbmHnT_6xyIVs5D5XxygZAIeOafdWCoAuJTMdjX1RFsARunRi7fJu8Np5h68BjgMEtqt95a1Qq-t7fgHQrxFiPkFWga-olmXNl9x7JV7phZjRktA

104579439-GettyImages-455404136.jpg

Floyd. All the greats Rocky defeated were washed up when he fought them.

Floyd. All the greats Rocky defeated were washed up when he fought them.

This is a bit of a historical revision. None of these guys looked washed up until Rocky fought them. Joe was 38 but he wasn't showing any signs of slowing down and was winning the first fight against Rocky until Rocky threw a short right hand right across his chest to hit Joe when Joe was expecting a looping right. Archie Moore also went on to continue a very distinguished LHW career after he lost to Rocky. This was also a time before the big HW's and on many occasions the difference between a LHW and HW could hardly be determined because many LHW's went up. Rocky could arguably have made LHW but the money was at HW.

It's the Joe Louis fight that generated the opinion that Rocky fought washed up guys, and Joe Louis should not have fought Rocky. Still, there are many fighters would shouldn't have taken the fights they did, just as Louis did but he was on an 8 fight winning streak going into the Rocky fight, and had only officially lost to Charles and Schmeling.

Rocky is also arguably as good a rematch fighter as Floyd is, or better.

I'm not saying one is better than the other because this is a conversation topic of wild speculation and entrenched bias. I'm just saying a lot of contemporary boxing fans have no appreciation for context when they look at fights that took place in bygone eras. Rocky usually gets dumped on by the armchair rulers who dictate terms on past and present boxers. Probably, not a single person in this thread will have a drastically different opinion after everyone is done talking or bickering.

Last edited:
The more I think about it. I think Rocky had the better career. He had 43KO wins in 49 fights. That's an 87.76% KO percentage. And he fought heavyweights with guys with incredible power and he never got KOe'd or lost to these guys. That's very impressive.

The more I think about it. I think Rocky had the better career. He had 43KO wins in 49 fights. That's an 87.76% KO percentage. And he fought heavyweights with guys with incredible power and he never got KOe'd or lost to these guys. That's very impressive.
Not to mention he had all the physical disadvantages, short reach, light and slow. Floyd had excellent reach.

Not to mention he had all the physical disadvantages, short reach, light and slow. Floyd had excellent reach.
I don’t think we should give points for physical disadvantages though. Especially when Rocky seemed to have some gifts in terms of stamina, durability, and the ability to hit like a flipping truck.

Marciano was a can crusher. Jersey Joe Walcott almost had him at 39 years old.

werent some of floyds big names fought out of prime, too?

both guys fought bigger guys a lot, i think thats pretty awesome.
he definitely beat some good fighters out of their prime, yes. but floyd was also past his best for a lot of those fights.

the DLH fight is the one that’s probably aged the worst but de la hoya was still a top 5 154-pounder at the time

titles nowadays are ridiculous
you could win dozens of different titles in different weight-classes from a bunch of organizations
titles these days ain't that prestigious
just made for entertainment

prime castillo twice, prime marquez, judah, mosley, cotto, pacquiao, canelo, de la hoya, hatton, corrales. no losses.

that’s one of the most impressive resumés we will ever see. very few can stack up against that.

Back