Rogan says Ronda effs up Bruce Lee in MMA

I'm sure Bruce Lee, with his willingness to learn all kinds of different styles, would be up to the task if he received modern MMA training. The guy was an impressive athlete, with an incredible dedication and a love for combat, but back in his day there did not exist any proper outlet for martial artists other than the movies.

Obviously the guy would've had no idea how to compete in MMA, but that's because the sport didn't even exist in the 70's. It's ignorant to treat MMA as if it's comparable to a "real fight", when it's just another form of combat sports like boxing and kickboxing. Real fights rarely look like MMA contests, just like they rarely look like boxing or kickboxing matches, so people need to stop treating MMA as the be-all and end-all of combat prowess.

It is only in MMA where we have people constantly saying that they can beat non-competitors, because they are so desperate and needy for acceptance as legitimate athletes. This is like a top basketball player saying that they can beat a top soccer player, in basketball.

Last edited:
You illiterate piece of human debris. Your steam-of-consciousness three year old temper tantrum rant overlooks the fact that Bruce was a lifelong martial artist infinitely more skilled than a 135 pound butch can crusher. Not only would Bruce crush Ronda he would demolish the modern UFC welterweight division because he was THAT talented.

LOL, either you're an amazing troll, or stupid. Either way, I can't wait to see what you say next.

I'm sure Bruce Lee, with his willingness to learn all kinds of different styles, would be up to the task if he received modern MMA training. The guy was an impressive athlete, with an incredible dedication and a love for combat, but back in his day there did not exist any proper outlet for martial artists other than the movies.

Obviously the guy would've had no idea how to compete in MMA, but that's because the sport didn't even exist in the 70's. It's ignorant to treat MMA as if it's comparable to a "real fight", when it's just another form of combat sport like boxing and kickboxing. Real fights rarely look like MMA contests, just like they rarely look like boxing or kickboxing matches, so people need to stop treating MMA as the be-all and end-all of combat prowess.

It is only in MMA where we have people constantly saying that they can beat non-competitors, because they are so desperate and needy for acceptance as legitimate athletes. This is like a top basketball player saying that they can beat a top soccer player, in basketball.

The reason "real fights" don't often look like MMA fights is that they are taking place between untrained people who don't know how to effectively fight. This is assuming we are talking about an actual 1 on 1 fight and not a melee where more people get involved. That's a whole different story.

But in a true 1 on 1 fight an MMA fighter would (generally) make it look like an MMA ass kicking vs an untrained person.

Not even going to listen. I'm assuming Callen said some crazy comment about Bruce Lee cleaning out the heavy weight division and the rest of the guys clowned on him.
Why even make the comparison? Tyson would beat Joe Louis. A lion would kill a gazelle. Who the fuck cares.

I believe Callen said he could beat Bruce as well.

The reason "real fights" don't often look like MMA fights is that they are taking place between untrained people who don't know how to effectively fight. This is assuming we are talking about an actual 1 on 1 fight and not a melee where more people get involved. That's a whole different story.

But in a true 1 on 1 fight an MMA fighter would (generally) make it look like an MMA ass kicking vs an untrained person.

If we assume that these fights are legit (which might be questioned), none of them looked exactly like MMA fights despite being between trained competitors. And none of these fights were exactly life and death battles either.

[YT]k9jMwxhdDtM&start=452[/YT]

When the person on their back goes for a submission, he gets the back of his head pounded into solid concrete. If his opponent had been willing to use headbutts, eye-gouges and other nasty stuff, his game would've been rendered even more useless.

Bruce Lee may not have had any official contests but he is well-known for having been involved in numerous street fights against thugs. I wouldn't necessarily count on a MMA fighter kicking everybody's ass if they are facing a more vicious and experienced opponent in a street-fighting situation. Some would probably excel in that situation (the likes of Robbie Lawler), but a person with GSP's temperament would probably have a difficult time adjusting to such a random, wild and senseless encounter. Not everybody who fights in the cage is filled with blood-lust.

If we assume that these fights are legit (which might be questioned), none of them looked exactly like MMA fights despite being between trained competitors. And none of these fights were exactly life and death battles either.

When the person on their back goes for a submission, he gets the back of his head pounded into solid concrete. If his opponent had been willing to use headbutts, eye-gouges and other nasty stuff, his game would've been rendered even more useless.

Bruce Lee may not have had any official contests but he is well-known for having been involved in numerous street fights against thugs. I wouldn't necessarily count on a MMA fighter kicking everybody's ass if they are facing a more vicious and experienced opponent in a street-fighting situation.

If it's a trained MMA fighter vs someone with no grappling training at all odds are the MMA fighter isn't ending up on his back (at least not for long, as he'd probably sweep or IMMEDIATELY latch onto something even as he's going down). With two MMA fighters of course it's a different story.

Can those other things you mentioned come into play? Sure. But the overwhelming odds are the the guy who's been training every day how to not be on his back eating punches is going to get the upper hand and end up on top. Where he will then proceed to smash the ever living f*ck out of the other guy. ;100% of the time? No. Most of the time? Yes.

If it's a trained MMA fighter vs someone with no grappling training at all odds are the MMA fighter isn't ending up on his back (at least not for long, as he'd probably sweep or IMMEDIATELY latch onto something even as he's going down). With two MMA fighters of course it's a different story.

Can those other things you mentioned come into play? Sure. But the overwhelming odds are the the guy who's been training every day how to not be on his back eating punches is going to get the upper hand and end up on top. Where he will then proceed to smash the ever living f*ck out of the other guy. ;100% of the time? No. Most of the time? Yes.

I don't deny that but even then, the average trained boxer, BJJ artist and kickboxer will also kick an untrained person's ass. Most people who do combat sports have an advantage over untrained people. MMA is not unique in this regard.

The point is that there's probably plenty of pure BJJ, boxing or kickboxing guys that could beat MMA fighters in a "real fight". I have no doubt that MMA overall translates better into a real fight than the other combat sports, but it is not a real fight and a MMA contest should not be used as evidence of how a real fight would go. There are rounds, there's a referee, there are rules, there's month-long preparation, there's advice from the corner, weigh-ins etc.

See for example Lee Murray kicking Tito Ortiz's ass in a street fight despite not being on his level as a MMA competitor.

Bruce Lee may not have had any official contests but he is well-known for having been involved in numerous street fights against thugs. I wouldn't necessarily count on a MMA fighter kicking everybody's ass if they are facing a more vicious and experienced opponent in a street-fighting situation.

Yep, all the rules in MMA make it really hard to compare it to street fighting. It's the closest we got but MMA really favors wrestlers, not so much on the street when you can punch and elbow them in the back of the head when they are trying to take you down.

I don't deny that but even then, the average trained boxer, BJJ artist and kickboxer will also kick an untrained person's ass. Most people who do combat sports have an advantage over untrained people. MMA is not unique in this regard.

True, but MMA fighters have the advantage in that they train in pretty much every area that a 1 on 1 fight can go.

But your point is still valid. Absolutely someone trained in combat of any kind (where they actually compete especially) has a huge advantage over someone who doesn't.

Zuffa Zombies remind me so much of heavy metal fans. They are nothing, if not predictable.

Chuck Norris knows more about knocking people unconscious than most MMA knockout artists ever will. He is quoted as saying Bruce Lee was not only one of the pound for pound strongest men in the world, but certainly one of the fastest. Bruce could hold a 125 pound dumbbell at arm lengths with elbows locked. Using one hand he could do the same with a 70lber. A fight with Rory Mac vs Bruce would go something like this:

Rory moves forward and pedanticly throws his trademark jabs. Bruce analyzes his movement, feels him out for 20 seconds, and counters with one his own jabs except three times as fast. Rory is knocked out on his feet. But before he hits the ground Bruce holds him by his head and pummels him with unanswered blows. Another possibility is any number of kicks, again, 3 to 4 times as fast delivered to the knees, liver, or even windpipe. Fatality!

Last edited:
maybe in MMA, I'd put my money on Bruce in a real fight.

Skipped a minute and a half early only to hear Rogan go on a tirade on what other people should do, the Rogan authority. It's like a dictatorship in there. So free thinking yet so controlled.

And should the thread really be titled "Bryan Callen thinks he could beat Bruce Lee in a fight." And when Eddie said I believe you, he meant it he believes he believes lol. Rolling on mats and rehearsing submissions (I guess he does jj, probably sporadic at that) To think of the ego on that guy. He didn't even specify MMA, just called it a fight..two totally different things if you've been in one. Bryan Callen needs to be hit, probably hasn't had a good one in 20 years, maybe a slap. Too bad we can't bring back Bruce to initial the "welcome back to reality" blow.

Last edited:
Bruce never competed professionally.

Anyone in the UFC today > him easily.

Ronda is a pro fighter, which Bruce never was, so there's an advantage for Ronda.

But can she get past the eye jab/lead side kick to the knee? LOL

I remember reading an article from a magazine years ago, where Bruce was replying to a letter sent to him by a female fan. Among other things, she wanted to know how to break bricks, and wanted to know where she could start training.

I'm paraphrasing, but Bruce's reply was that if she wanted to break bricks, she should use a hammer. And as for her training, he advised against it, on basis of her gender.

Makes me wonder if Bruce would even entertain the idea of fighting her.

Are we pretending Bruce Lee was some sort of grappling monster now? Of course he'd be submitted by an olympic judo medalist. The grappling training he did was, at least to my knowledge, quite limited.

Are we pretending Bruce Lee was some sort of grappling monster now? Of course he'd be submitted by an olympic judo medalist. The grappling training he did was, at least to my knowledge, quite limited.

It was at least with the same guy that mentors Ronda.

^LeBell also trained Roddy Piper and Chuck Norris. However, Roddy went pro, and Norris still was/is amazed at Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. So much so that he got a Black Belt in the art.

Not trying to discredit the great "Judo" Gene. Just saying that the world level that Ronda operates on, not to mention her greater knowledge of grappling, would give her the edge in a straight grappling fight.

Maybe on the street Bruce would straight blast her ass?

Only Joe Rogan can tell us for sure...

Chuck Norris competed in full contact competition before it was trendy. He had nothing but the highest regard for Bruce's fighting abilities as he trained with him directly. Bruce could hold a 70 lb dumbbell at arms length straight out. His strength was purely functional, there was nothing that hindered his striking whatsoever. Bruce Lee would MURDER UFC lightweights and probably a good portion of welterweights too. Observe Gunnar Nelson against Brandon Thatch. Then take Gunnar's speed and cunning and multiply it several times over. Add in heavyweight knockout power and a far more diverse striking array than Conor and you have Bruce Lee.

So many sherdoggies bought into the hype of an actor...

Back