Ruger Scout in 308 win. as all-rounder?

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
I am seeing this rifle everywhere in the scout rifles rankings, link below.

Given that I really like the concept of the scout rifle (short, reliable, simple for pretty much all uses), I have a hard-on for this model.

Would you recommend it for an absolute noob like myself for occasional medium game hunting with open sights and going to the shooting range?

BTW the love of my life would be a 30-30 Marlin lever, but where I live (Yurrp) I think that this caliber is frown upon for hunting. I don't want to open a can of worms, just mentioning it so you understand that I am attracted to small, simple rifles with an outback taste in them.

https://ruger.com/products/scoutRifle/specSheets/6804.html

Last edited:
I've only heard good things about the Ruger scout. It should be great for what you want to do with it.

The scout rifle design solves a dated issue. Long eye-relief scopes aren't needed when magazines are available. I built a custom scout rifle years ago before magazines. Scopes of that day were limiting.

Ruger actions usually have rough casting.

My opinion.

Have you ever considered a tikka tx3 or something of that sort?

One of those with a 1-8x AR scope would make a nice quick mid range Hunter.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Riflescope-Illuminated-Variable-Magnification/dp/B07DGSR4HL

I own one with a Leupold 1.5-4x28 Scout scope and I don't like it.

Rather than an "all purpose" rifle, I find it fills a pretty specific role, in the scout configuration; woodland still hunting where you take close snap shots at critters that pop out of the bush. The eyebox isn't very forgiving at maximum magnification and light reflects off of the ocular lens because the scope sits so far forward.

You can mount a scope conventionally, at the sacrifice of the rear sight, but that defeats the purpose of buying a scout, IMO.

I still own it, but I much prefer my Tikka T3x.

Rather than an "all purpose" rifle, I find it fills a pretty specific role, in the scout configuration; woodland still hunting where you take close snap shots at critters that pop out of the bush. The eyebox isn't very forgiving at maximum magnification and light reflects off of the ocular lens because the scope sits so far forward.

You can mount a scope conventionally, at the sacrifice of the rear sight, but that defeats the purpose of buying a scout, IMO.

I had something like that Leopold in a 2-8x Burris.

Had a stripper clip slot on the action and everything.

Overall I felt it was lacking.

At the time Jeff Cooper was still alive and I held his ideas in high regard based on his pistol knowledge.

As a competitive rifle guy its my opinion pistol guy's ain't rifle guys, and should stick to what they know best.

Aside from the scope issue, it's never the most accurate mounting on the barrel; issues arise when the barrel heats up.

Further I wonder if he ever used the idea much himself. I never saw where he updated anything about it.

Rather a dead duck which grew marketing wings after the death of its inventor.

The scout rifle design solves a dated issue. Long eye-relief scopes aren't needed when magazines are available. I built a custom scout rifle years ago before magazines. Scopes of that day were limiting.

Ruger actions usually have rough casting.

My opinion.

Have you ever considered a tikka tx3 or something of that sort?

One of those with a 1-8x AR scope would make a nice quick mid range Hunter.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Riflescope-Illuminated-Variable-Magnification/dp/B07DGSR4HL
Thank you for answer. I would like my first rifle to be an open sight rifle and to be quite short. The Tikka is longer and it needs a scope, correct?

Could you elaborate on why you disapprove of scout rifles?

What is your thought on the rifle used with open sights? Because I don t want a scope.

Thank you for answer. I would like my first rifle to be an open sight rifle and to be quite short. The Tikka is longer and it needs a scope, correct?

Could you elaborate on why you disapprove of scout rifles?

The Tikka can be had in a 20 inch barrel like so:

374709.jpg

It does not however come with sights, and is setup with optics, either scope of red-dot in mind. They are slick actions, triggers are suitable and easily adjusted. they come with threaded barrels if you so desire a suppressor. They are generally very good shooters.

I had a custom scout rifle. My Main complaints with it wer:

1. long eye-relief scopes are crappy.

2. mounting a scope base on the barrel takes away performance.

3. its an attempt at trying to be all things and as such doesn't do anything very well.

You mention not wanting an optic in which case you could look at the Mossberg MVP:

27716_mvppatrol_5.56_a2_sights_r9csj9tjywdrwycw.jpg

374709.jpg

It does not however come with sights, and is setup with optics, either scope of red-dot in mind. They are slick actions, triggers are suitable and easily adjusted. they come with threaded barrels if you so desire a suppressor. They are generally very good shooters.

3. its an attempt at trying to be all things and as such doesn't do anything very well.

You mention not wanting an optic in which case you could look at the Mossberg MVP:

So if I understand you correctly, your issue with scout rifles is that they don t combine well with optics.

But as I said I want an iron sights rifle.

May I ask why you would recommend the Mossberg MVP in that context?

So if I understand you correctly, your issue with scout rifles is that they don t combine well with optics.

But as I said I want an iron sights rifle.

May I ask why you would recommend the Mossberg MVP in that context?

Yes, optics on barrels isn't a good solution.

Yes, if its iron sights you want, you don't necessarily need to extra marketing markup of a "Scout Rifle"

That mossberg would fit the bill for what you're looking for sounds like. Possibly more economically too.

I'd say they're about the same quality as Savage, or Ruger

Remington may make something as well.

Savage makes a scout with iron sights. Tikka also has the Battue, but that one's kinda difficult to find.

If you're actually from Quebec, you can always hunt down an Lee-Enfield, but surplus .303 British is drying up.

If you are asking should i buy this .308 rifle i’m not going to tel you no.
Do it

374709.jpg

That MVP is pretty bad ass, thanks.

Savage makes a scout with iron sights. Tikka also has the Battue, but that one's kinda difficult to find.

If you're actually from Quebec, you can always hunt down an Lee-Enfield, but surplus .303 British is drying up.
I live in Europe....

I have a .300 savage that’s both open sights and a scope at the flick of your thumb. It’s big enough to drop anything I’d be out hunting here in British Columbia and still light enough to easily shoot from any position.

I am seeing this rifle everywhere in the scout rifles rankings, link below.

Given that I really like the concept of the scout rifle (short, reliable, simple for pretty much all uses), I have a hard-on for this model.

Would you recommend it for an absolute noob like myself for occasional medium game hunting with open sights and going to the shooting range?

BTW the love of my life would be a 30-30 Marlin lever, but where I live (Yurrp) I think that this caliber is frown upon for hunting. I don't want to open a can of worms, just mentioning it so you understand that I am attracted to small, simple rifles with an outback taste in them.

https://ruger.com/products/scoutRifle/specSheets/6804.html
One thing I will say about them is they are fucking heavy. My friend has one and on numerous hunts I've ended up carrying the scout around for several hours. It's heavy in your arms, It's heavy on your shoulder, it's heavy on a sling.
Now there are certainly heavier guns out there, I'll compare my Howa 1500 to his scout in terms of weight next time I go out to his before a hunt (That could even be tonight no cloud cover and a near full moon perfect pig hunt weather). My advice however is if you can get your hands on one just to hold for a min or two to see how you like it. Honestly there would be no reason for them to frown on the 30-30 for hunting, it's likely killed near more deer than any other caliber on the planet and if you get into the facts of the matter in pure stats alone the 30-30 IS a .308 it's just a vastly different type of .308.

One thing I will say about them is they are fucking heavy. My friend has one and on numerous hunts I've ended up carrying the scout around for several hours. It's heavy in your arms, It's heavy on your shoulder, it's heavy on a sling.
Now there are certainly heavier guns out there, I'll compare my Howa 1500 to his scout in terms of weight next time I go out to his before a hunt (That could even be tonight no cloud cover and a near full moon perfect pig hunt weather). My advice however is if you can get your hands on one just to hold for a min or two to see how you like it. Honestly there would be no reason for them to frown on the 30-30 for hunting, it's likely killed near more deer than any other caliber on the planet and if you get into the facts of the matter in pure stats alone the 30-30 IS a .308 it's just a vastly different type of .308.
The Ruger Scout is definitely heavier than my Tikka, but it soaks up recoil well, too. I find my Tikka kicks disproportionately hard for calibre; both rifles are in .308, but after about a box, I'm kinda of sick of shooting the Tikka.

The Ruger Scout is definitely heavier than my Tikka, but it soaks up recoil well, too. I find my Tikka kicks disproportionately hard for calibre; both rifles are in .308, but after about a box, I'm kinda of sick of shooting the Tikka.
In my experience with .308's they either kick the shit out of you or they don't. there is no middle ground.
I haven't fired my mates Scout but I imagine with it being such an unnaturally heavy rifle it would soak up the recoil.

I guess the Tikka's made for lots of carrying and very little shooting (i.e. hunting). Also hitting what you aim to.

Back