Opinion Russell Brand - Why You Can't Trust the FDA and Big Pharma

Senzo Tanaka

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I know he's not for everyone but this is a really solid video by Brand.

A few key points that stuck out to me.

- I had no idea that the FDA was not publicly funded anymore. It used to be funded by tax payers alone. Now, it's funded by the people that it's supposed to be investigating. This is obviously a huge problem.
- There are all kinds of ways to pass certification now without actually passing certification

And something that I totally agree with is 2008 was the end of capitalism. He doesn't go deep into it but basically capitalism isn't real anymore. In 2008, all of those businesses should have failed and new companies rise up. Instead, they got bailed out. Profit is king over everything - even public health. That was never the design of capitalism or how it should work.

I'm confused. Is this lying?
https://www.fda.gov/about-fda/fda-basics/fact-sheet-fda-glance

About 55 percent, or $3.2 billion, of FDA’s budget is provided by federal budget authorization. The remaining 45 percent, or $2.7 billion, is paid for by industry user fees.

Seems like it's pretty government funded. User fees in looking at them seem a lot like a direct tax on pharmaceutical companies to bring drugs to market.

That doesn't seem to be the actual problem. The actual problem seems to be "do some time at the FDA and you somehow end up at a multi-million dollar position at pfizer when you are done." Thats the payoff.

I'm confused. Is this lying?
https://www.fda.gov/about-fda/fda-basics/fact-sheet-fda-glance

About 55 percent, or $3.2 billion, of FDA’s budget is provided by federal budget authorization. The remaining 45 percent, or $2.7 billion, is paid for by industry user fees.

Seems like it's pretty government funded. User fees in looking at them seem a lot like a direct tax on pharmaceutical companies to bring drugs to market.

That doesn't seem to be the actual problem. The actual problem seems to be "do some time at the FDA and you somehow end up at a multi-million dollar position at pfizer when you are done." Thats the payoff.
So 45% is not a majority, but it's a massive portion (my opinion is 0% should come from the companies they are meant to "regulate").

Came in here for content that might be interesting and then saw the replies from foxnews and johnnysinsfan

abuelo-simpson.gif

Honestly not seeing the issue here. If you want to get a drug approved, you have to pay a fee to cover the thousands of man hours involved. Since the FDA is the only game in town for a pharm company to access the US market, I'm not seeing the scope for malfeasance honestly. It's not like the pharm companies are going to go to a competitor or withhold the fees if they don't get the drug approved.

Idk why the medical industry gets such a free pass in so many cases where most other industries would just be destroyed

They have made so many mistakes from the start of the pandemic till now but nobody even blames them slightly

Even in regards to the vaccine they went from stopping spread in clinical trials to lessens risk of death to it does better than the unvaccinated and people say "that's how it's always been" like everyone knew this from the start

I am vaccinated but how can the bar be so low that just being better than being unvaccinated is sufficient? In which other industry would this fly?

I reckon if the vaccine only did a half of what it did it now people would still be lauding it a success

Just fucking ridiculous how easy they have it compared to other industries

They change their mind every second week and the public is supposed to lap it up for no reason other than they are doctors or w. E

So 45% is not a majority, but it's a massive portion (my opinion is 0% should come from the companies they are meant to "regulate").
Never heard of regulatory fees? Usually in situations like that, the fees are collected at arms length and have a set rate, and are then disbursed to the agency. I'd like to see if you can find any info to the contrary in the case of the FDA, honestly.

But here's the thing; your country allows people to make any old claim about their products and all the company has to do is say the product hasn't been evaluated by the FDA in their advertising. In Canada, for a contrary example, it's illegal to make unproven health claims about your products period. Hence the high profits in the supplement industry there. It's a messed up system from top to bottom whose focus is not on what's best for the the people as a whole.

Idk why the medical industry gets such a free pass in so many cases where most other industries would just be destroyed

They have made so many mistakes from the start of the pandemic till now but nobody even blames them slightly

Even in regards to the vaccine they went from stopping spread in clinical trials to lessens risk of death to it does better than the unvaccinated and people say "that's how it's always been" like everyone knew this from the start

I am vaccinated but how can the bar be so low that just being better than being unvaccinated is sufficient? In which other industry would this fly?

I reckon if the vaccine only did a half of what it did it now people would still be lauding it a success

Just fucking ridiculous how easy they have it compared to other industries

They change their mind every second week and the public is supposed to lap it up for no reason other than they are doctors or w. E
Seriously? You believe this?

So low? In the province of Alberta, Canada, in the month of August, 11 times as many people who were unvaccinated caught COVID compared with vaccinated people, and 38 times as many people who were unvaccinated got admitted to ICU compared with vaccinated people. 38 TIMES. That's not "just better". And nobody blames even slightly people who choose as their job to try to help sick people because they aren't miserable shitstains.

Seriously? You believe this?

So low? In the province of Alberta, Canada, in the month of August, 11 times as many people who were unvaccinated caught COVID compared with vaccinated people, and 38 times as many people who were unvaccinated got admitted to ICU compared with vaccinated people. 38 TIMES. That's not "just better". And nobody blames even slightly people who choose as their job to try to help sick people because they aren't miserable shitstains.

This is not how data analysis works but let's just say I agree with you

What would be the cut off point for you to say that it doesn't work well enough?

Do you have one at all? Did you even think about it?

0:15 "Hillary Clinton Acolytes"

Is Russell Brand evolving from nutty spiritual hippy type to nutty American religious type?

Or is he just trying to appear smart by using words he doesn't fully understand because he thinks they make him sound more intellectual?

Last edited:
Russel does not own a shirt with a reasonable neck...

Also, if you need Mr. Brand to tell you not to trust these scum then so be it... Whatever it takes for people to pay attention...

Of course you can't trust these people. Its astonishing that so many people do.

0:15 "Hillary Clinton Acolytes"

Is Russell Brand evolving from nutty spiritual hippy type to nutty American nutty religious type?

Or is he just trying to appear smart by using words he doesn't fully understand because he thinks they make him sound more intellectual?

The investigation into the investigation of Russiagate has gone on longer than the Russiagate investigation. Russiagate resulted in charges against 34 individuals and 3 companies, 8 guilty pleas, and a conviction at trial. The investigation of Russiagate led by a Trump appointee has resulted in... Two charges, neither of which are serious enough to prove anything at all.

Back