International Russia/Ukraine Megathread V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge chunk of the Wagner convict volunteers surrendered. Russia refuses to exchange them because they are regarded as deserters. I think Ukraine will have at least 100.000 prisoners of war before spring that Russia has no interest in taking back. I hope they'll be able to use them as work force of some sort.

I know but find it funny and I wish these companies could remotely shutdown their cars like it has been rumored to in Tesla's, GM, Fords and even Mercedes.
About Tesla I don't know.
Porshe and Mercedes, Lotus, Maybach and Rolls Royce & Bentley, Land Rover: such stuff might be relatively easily disabled by smart user.....

Reactions: PEB
Huge chunk of the Wagner convict volunteers surrendered. Russia refuses to exchange them because they are regarded as deserters. I think Ukraine will have at least 100.000 prisoners of war before spring that Russia has no interest in taking back. I hope they'll be able to use them as work force of some sort.

Some how I am not surprised...
What did they expect?
They need to do a WWII and have commissars / NKVD standing behind the line shooting everybody that tries to turn back. Only one way forward..

Using cars built by the enemy. How patriotic of them.
I want Putin to show up in a meeting with this Russian product lol.

1987_Lada_Niva_1600.jpg

Some how I am not surprised...
What did they expect?
They need to do a WWII and have commissars / NKVD standing behind the line shooting everybody that tries to turn back. Only one way forward..
Regarding convicts this is actually pretty smart. Like Castro sending worst of his prisoners to US, Russia get's rid of unwanted citizens and creates a burden for the opposite side.

I want Putin to show up in a meeting with this Russian product lol.

1987_Lada_Niva_1600.jpg

I remember Putin visiting a car manifacturing site and the guys there were showing him the newest model.

TV cameras were standing around, filming the event, putin walks up to the car, and wants to.get in to it and the fucking door handle gets stuck and he can't open the door.

And then another guy walks up to try and help him, and breaks the handle off completely.

It was so funny. When I'll be home from work, I'll look it up and post it.

And BTW Niva is a nice car. I seriously might buy one sometime.

Regarding convicts this is actually pretty smart. Like Castro sending worst of his prisoners to US, Russia get's rid of unwanted citizens and creates a burden for the opposite side.

yes but I am sure Russia did not intend for the convicts to just give up.
They need them more as soldiers than anything.

Also they are now POW and will be sent back to Russia in a prison exchange.
I dont believe captured convicts from Wagner will get refugee status.

I hope they'll be able to use them as work force of some sort.

Pows as a workforce has gone notoriously bad throughout the history. Obviously I don't have a solution as what to do with them but ... pows as a workforce tends to lead to some dark paths.

Probably better to treat them well and encourage more dessertion rather than having enemy soldiers think that surrendering isn't a option.

I'd imagine that they were thrown to the wolves as a diversion or a desperate attempt to gain ground. Knowing better, they just immediately surrendered instead.

During World War II, Finland also used a "criminal battalion" as a vanguard to accomplish seemingly impossible tasks that no one else would attempt. The crazy thing though is that they basically succeeded in all of them. Initially, they tried this with political criminals, but they just surrendered to the USSR, but then they started using violent criminals, and they turned out to be excellent fighters.

Pows as a workforce has gone notoriously bad throughout the history. Obviously I don't have a solution as what to do with them but ... pows as a workforce tends to lead to some dark paths.

Probably better to treat them well and encourage more dessertion rather than having enemy soldiers think that surrendering isn't a option.
The situation is very uncommon. Basically civilians are getting sent to front lines and being used as cannon fodder to draw out Ukrainian fire. When they surrender Russians refuse to take them back in exchange and would face prison sentences is returned just to get rid of them. The loyalty of such prisoners might be very different from actual combat prisoners and they might be more willing to work voluntarily.

Russian refuse to take deserters in exchange.

I'd imagine that they were thrown to the wolves as a diversion or a desperate attempt to gain ground. Knowing better, they just immediately surrendered instead.

During World War II, Finland also used a "criminal battalion" as a vanguard to accomplish seemingly impossible tasks that no one else would attempt. The crazy thing though is that they basically succeeded in all of them. Initially, they tried this with political criminals, but they just surrendered to the USSR, but then they started using violent criminals, and they turned out to be excellent fighters.

Commander of that unit is a character

Man born in right time and era

There is a leak on the North Stream 2 line close to Bornholm

"The German theory: Attack divers may be behind the gas leak

Norway oil safety regulator warns of threats from unidentified drones
Norway's Petroleum Safety Authority (PSA) on Monday urged oil companies to be more vigilant over unidentified drones seen flying near Norwegian offshore oil and gas platforms, warning they could pose a risk of accidents or deliberate attacks.

https://www.reuters.com/business/en...warns-threats-unidentified-drones-2022-09-26/

A traffic jam near the Russian-Georgian border. I wonder how the Georgians feel about this influx of Russians, considering they were invaded by these people and forced to run themselves not that long ago. How times change.

I don't really know any native born Georgians, only some from the diaspora that have lived here their entire lives, and their views are in sync with ours, so I can't really say. Maybe natives are more compassionate.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sat...s&utm_source=reddit.com&utm_source=reddit.com

6331ea82329bac00182f3dab

6331eb4a78dab80018ed94f8

6331ec0b78dab80018ed9527

i dont know if i'd have the kind of patience to try to get out. if i was in that situation i would probably just barricade myself inside of a liquor store and try to take refuge there. maybe by the time i sober up the war will be over. i figure i'd have a better shot of surviving that than i would if they drafted me and threw me in the meat grinder. though my liver wouldn't be on speaking terms with me anymore afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.