International Russia/Ukraine Megathread V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
tl;dr

Untitled-design-48.jpg

People are cheering for Ukraine, because they are fighting for the survival of our nation.

There is a rise of xenophobia from all sides (Russians, Ukrainians, Latvians).

The 25% inflation is insane. Price of bread has doubled, heating and electricity bills have tripled/quadrupled. In winter it will get even worse.

We'll probably get hit with a wave of emmigration and brain drain, which is sad, because recently we started having positive net migration for the first time of our history.

We are spending record ammounts of money on military, and introducing conscription, starting from January, and pushing the first voluntary batches into military education to prepare capable personnel asap.

We also established a military alliance with Lithuania and Estonia. Seems like we are cautious about NATO support if shit hits the fan, and will do all we can to be able to take care of ourselves. I'd be shitting myself too, if what the PM of Estonia said is true about NATO's defense plan, which is that NATO plans to do nothing with us and will focus on defending Poland instead.
Wait, the PM of Estonia actually said that? What a moron, even if it's true you say the opposite to calm things down, saying that NATO wouldn't defend you is pretty much an invite for Russia, even if they probably lack the capacity to engage in any other conflict at this point of the war.

I'd be shitting myself too, if what the PM of Estonia said is true about NATO's defense plan, which is that NATO plans to do nothing with us and will focus on defending Poland instead.

A Norwegian army officer told me that Norways NATO role if the Russians invaded was to “slow them down for a few days” whilst NATO got themselves ready to counterattack.

What does anyone expect their policy to be - “first Russian boots on your soil and we nuke Moscow?”

I think everyone already knows Russia has the 'capability' to destroy undersea cables. Why would it then obliterate its own cables just to 'remind' everyone of that, for absolutely no benefit to itself at all ('letting Europe imagine what might happen' - seriously dude?), while in the process permanently destroy the strongest REAL (not imaginary) lever of influence it has over Europe?

(the most common answer to this seems to be 'because they are dumb, evil Russians who only know how to destroy!' which just shows what depths of retardism war propaganda sinks people to)

Yeah it makes no sense that Russia would do this, when they control the gas entering one end of the pipe.

A Norwegian army officer told me that Norways NATO role if the Russians invaded was to “slow them down for a few days” whilst NATO got themselves ready to counterattack.

What does anyone expect their policy to be - “first Russian boots on your soil and we nuke Moscow?”

Is it too much to ask?

Yeah, pretty much.

People overestimate our importance to the big picture.

Last edited:

She said that she had a conversation with the british troops stationed in Estonia in which they revealed that they don't really want to be here and feel that they are sent to the potential frontline to be sacrificial lambs. The morale is through the roof.

I'll try to find the interview, I think I posted it here before.

First votes "counted" - 96 percent for Russia
The votes in the hastily organized so-called referendum in eastern Ukraine have now begun to be counted, according to Russian authorities.

When 14 percent of the votes were counted, everything points to an overwhelming majority of those voting wanting to belong to Russia, the occupying power claims, according to Reuters.

Over 96 percent reportedly voted for that option, according to the state-run Russian news agency Ria.

The preliminary outcome is expected, but not on the basis of real public opinion, but on the basis that Ukraine - and a large number of countries - dismissed the referendum in advance as rigged and undemocratic.

Valentina Matvijenko, who represents the Russian Parliament, has stated that if the vote goes in Russia's favor, the four regions will be able to be incorporated into Russia in a week.

Seems legit.....

She said that she had a conversation with the british troops in which they revealed that they don't really want to be here and are sent to be cannon meat.

I'll try to find the interview, I think I posted it here before.

I am sure professional military personnel would say that....
Sorry I dont buy it.

First votes "counted" - 96 percent for Russia
The votes in the hastily organized so-called referendum in eastern Ukraine have now begun to be counted, according to Russian authorities.

When 14 percent of the votes were counted, everything points to an overwhelming majority of those voting wanting to belong to Russia, the occupying power claims, according to Reuters.

Over 96 percent reportedly voted for that option, according to the state-run Russian news agency Ria.

The preliminary outcome is expected, but not on the basis of real public opinion, but on the basis that Ukraine - and a large number of countries - dismissed the referendum in advance as rigged and undemocratic.

Valentina Matvijenko, who represents the Russian Parliament, has stated that if the vote goes in Russia's favor, the four regions will be able to be incorporated into Russia in a week.

Seems legit.....
This really sucks.

Reactions: lsa
Wait, the PM of Estonia actually said that? What a moron, even if it's true you say the opposite to calm things down, saying that NATO wouldn't defend you is pretty much an invite for Russia, even if they probably lack the capacity to engage in any other conflict at this point of the war.

Alright, I was being a bit dramatic.

https://www.ft.com/content/a430b191-39c8-4b03-b3fd-8e7e948a5284

"Estonia would be wiped off the map and the historic centre of its capital city razed to the ground under current Nato plans to defend the country from any Russian attack, according to its prime minister. Kaja Kallas told reporters on Wednesday that the alliance’s existing defence plans for the three Baltic states was to allow them to be overrun before liberating them after 180 days.

“If you compare the sizes of Ukraine and the Baltic countries, it would mean the complete destruction of our countries and our culture, she says.”

@lsa

From the same interview as above.

https://www.ft.com/content/a430b191-39c8-4b03-b3fd-8e7e948a5284

"She added that she had spoken to foreign troops based in Estonia — largely those from the UK — and they had told her that, given the current plans mean they would be all but wiped out by a potential Russian invasion, “they are not fond of the idea that . . . they are supposed to die here”.

We don’t know if it’s destroyed/ unrepairable, but I’d guess not - it’s probably designed in a way which allows repairs.

Regardless, with the political mood in Europe and enough gas in storage for the winter (which presumably assumes full contribution from Norway), I think a show of strength by Russia is the more likely explanation.

Or maybe the US did it - I don’t think that’s an impossible scenario.

@lsa

From the same interciew as above.

"She added that she had spoken to foreign troops based in Estonia — largely those from the UK — and they had told her that, given the current plans mean they would be all but wiped out by a potential Russian invasion, “they are not fond of the idea that . . . they are supposed to die”.

Thats not the same as claiming they did not want to be there and was only canon fodder.
Also I will still take what a politician says with a grain of salt.
Was she walking around and talking to random soldiers?
And they just spoke their minds to her?

She has an agenda thats clear and we will probably get to know what really was said.
This is not a hill I plan to die on.

Status
Not open for further replies.