International Russia/Ukraine Megathread V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Norwegian army officer told me that Norways NATO role if the Russians invaded was to “slow them down for a few days” whilst NATO got themselves ready to counterattack.

What does anyone expect their policy to be - “first Russian boots on your soil and we nuke Moscow?”
At the same time the recent war has shown how much we have overrated the Russian army for a long time, the whole myth that they'd make it to the French border in no time should be dead by now. Poland would probably already be able to stop them...

(the most common answer to this seems to be 'because they are dumb, evil Russians who only know how to destroy!' which just shows what depths of retardism war propaganda sinks people to)

If Russian leadership wasn't dumb as bricks, they would not had invaded Ukraine.

Its an ineptocracy, competent people are seen as a danger to the regime so they always kept being shot down, mistreated and otherwise ignored. Putin surrounds himself with yesmen whose only qualifications is that they are dumber and loyal to Putin.

Just look at this video of Girkin being frustrated at all his work going down the drain due to stupid leadership.

Thats not the same as claiming they did not want to be there and was only canon fodder.
Also I will still take what a politician says with a grain of salt.
Was she walking around and talking to random soldiers?
And they just spoke their minds to her?

She has an agenda thats clear and we will probably get to know what really was said.
This is not a hill I plan to die on.

Yeah, that's true, this interview was not as edgy as I remembered it.

But it made the domestic politicians extremely cautious and everyone was like "shit what if she's right, and we're about to be fucked over?"

And then we started moving towards military self reliance.

For me as a NATO skeptic this was the best thing ever, because I was screaming about the necessity with my tinfoil hat on since the beginning, lol

Reactions: lsa
At the same time the recent war has shown how much we have overrated the Russian army for a long time, the whole myth that they'd make it to the French border in no time should be dead by now. Poland would probably already be able to stop them...

Oh for sure. Given that there could be no surprise attack and so NATO would be ready for them, it’d be over in a couple of weeks against this version of the Russian army. Hard to believe the Cold War version would have been so inept, but maybe it was.

I'm trusting the Estonian politicians with my life at this point.

Cool, but the analysis is way wrong.

Maybe they are expecting Russia to nuke the Baltics, but a blitzkrieg through Europe? please.

Maybe it was a jointly planned Russian / US attack on the pipelines

Maybe it was a jointly planned Russian / US attack on the pipelines

aiEJH.gif

Maybe they are expecting Russia to nuke the Baltics, but a blitzkrieg through Europe? please.

Why Europe?

If they plan to restore the Soviet Union, out of all the NATO states, the Baltics is all they need.

<Fedor23>

Why Europe?

If they plan to restore the Soviet Union, out of all the NATO states, the Baltics is all they need.

<Fedor23>

True, maybe they are expecting Russia to nuke Ramnstein Air Base and then blitzkrieg to the Baltics?

Reactions: PEB
Confusing message by Moscow could include land annex in Ukraine in recent statements of using nuclear weapons. Seriously Putin needs to put down the crackpipe he is smoking.

Yeah, that's true, this interview was not as edgy as I remembered it.

But it made the domestic politicians extremely cautious and everyone was like "shit what if she's right, and we're about to be fucked over?"

And then we started moving towards military self reliance.

For me as a NATO skeptic this was the best thing ever, because I was screaming about the necessity with my tinfoil hat on since the beginning, lol
NATO was never sold or designed to be some giant shield to stop russians from ever expanding. If your politicians told you otherwise they are the liars. It's a deterrence. Guarantees that there will be a military response. If you live on the border of Russia Nato isn't going to stop every russian from crossing the border. What NATO promises is that the acts of war will be responded to by all of NATO. That is the deterrence.

Do you honestly think you would have any deterrence to Russians aggression without NATO?

Why not?

Ofc west most likely again with pleasure might " sell " Baltic countries to Russia.
Why not, experience they already does have....

While modern situation is different.
They aren't Georgia, Ukraine or Moldova....
West had did all the best to submit these countries economically.:)
While outcome is that they have too much to loss if will " sell ". It isn't joke or exagrregation.

Also there will not be nice life for joe casual in France or Germany after " small nuke on Baltic countries ".
EUR quickly will be a toilet paper worth...
Btw already had dropped till 0,97 USD for 1 EUR...

Peaceful frogs and sausages eating for cheap will not be reality in Germany and France....
<45>

NATO was never sold or designed to be some giant shield to stop russians from ever expanding. If your politicians told you otherwise they are the liars. It's a deterrence. Guarantees that there will be a military response. If you live on the border of Russia Nato isn't going to stop every russian from crossing the border. What NATO promises is that the acts of war will be responded to by all of NATO. That is the deterrence.

Do you honestly think you would have any deterrence to Russians aggression without NATO?

The problem with our people is the growing skepticism. That the promise of NATO response is only a verbal deterrence, and Russia might think the same way.

I guess we'll find out once shit happens.

The problem with our people is the growing skepticism. That the promise of NATO response if something actually happens is just a promise, nothing more, and Russia might think the same way.

I guess we'll find out once it happens.

"NATO is committed to the principle that an attack against one or several of its members is considered as an attack against all. This is the principle of collective defence, which is enshrined in Article 5 of the Washington Treaty."

No matter what, an attack on a member will hurt, and that in it self makes an a potential attacker think twice.
Lets be real, if the Baltic was not in NATO, Russia would probably done a Crimea a long time ago.
At least now they will think once or twice before attacking.. And yes NATO will counter.

"NATO is committed to the principle that an attack against one or several of its members is considered as an attack against all. This is the principle of collective defence, which is enshrined in Article 5 of the Washington Treaty."

No matter what, an attack on a member will hurt, and that in it self makes an a potential attacker think twice.
Lets be real, if the Baltic was not in NATO, Russia would probably done a Crimea a long time ago.
At least now they will think once or twice before attacking.. And yes NATO will counter.

Those are words. Let's see what happens when boots are on the ground.

This won't be the first time the West abandons us.

The problem with our people is the growing skepticism. That the promise of NATO response is only a verbal deterrence, and Russia might think the same way.

I guess we'll find out once shit happens.

ugh, yeah, and what's the alternative? If you didn't have NATO you would likely already have been invaded like Crimea, Georgia, Chechnya, Ukraine, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.