Safe to say we are no longer in the era of title-holder longevity

So previously we had GSP and Silva, and now we have JJ, MM, and Cruz. Seems like the number of long reigning champs has gone up 50% not down. Please feel free to check my math.
Jones isnt chAmp. Cruz has had 1 title defense since getting the belt. What are you going on about mate?

Cant see cruz keeping the belt. Cody will most likely take that from him. Too injury-prone too.
RDA wont keep it for much longer khabib will take that
Mighty mouse doesnt count
Robbie looked mortal in his bout with condit
We dont know how jon jones handles ring rust.

I think Jones will win the belt but I don't see him staying for that long to go on another dominant run. I actully think Jones might be done with MMA max 2 yrs from UFC 200. I see him going into coaching or stuff like that. Because you just can't keep fighting and you have to respect your body

Last edited:
cruz? jones? i think lawler will be champ for a while as well especially cnsidering that condit rematch fell through. also RDA has looked unstoppable lately as much as it pains me to say it
lol @ RDA

Jones isnt chAmp. Cruz has had 1 title defense since getting the belt. What are you going on about mate?
Cruz hasn't lost since 2007, and Jones has never lost. Are we having a discussion about actual fighting skill and dominance, or are we talking about stuff that happens outside the ring?

Cruz hasn't lost since 2007, and Jones has never lost. Are we having a discussion about actual fighting skill and dominance, or are we talking about stuff that happens outside the ring?
yeah he fought a bunch of flyweights who didnt have a 125 division to go to.

I'm fine with that. I want there to be enough threats out there that the title is capable of changing hands any time the current champion doesn't come into a fight on point.

We still have Dominick, who I don't see losing his belt soon, not to mention Jon Jones (yeah).

But I feel ya, especially 170 and 185 are fucking crazy now unlike a couple of years ago.

This pretty much sums it up. Some devisions are stacked and some aren't. Mighty mouse, Dom, and Jones are looking good for now. I'm assuming jones beats Cormier again so what he does after that is beyond me.
For the last couple years it's seemed like 155, 170, and 185 is where the talent has been piling up.

yeah he fought a bunch of flyweights who didnt have a 125 division to go to.
I think we can all agree though that anyone who goes undefeated for a decade is going to fight some cans or lesser competition. This is no different than the previous longevity holders.

BS. Look at Bones & Mighty Mouse. Jones is on his way to being the most dominant champ we've EVER seen. Plus if Jojed gets pass Gadhela and if Dom keeps staying motivated they can keep their belts for awhile.

Jones and MM are the most solid. Cruz follows. Everyone else is just on top for a bit.

Bones is 10-0 in title fights.

th

"We all know why that is"
... because Maus is really, really good.

Trends change all the time. LHW was in that period, then it wasn't. Up and down, down and up, forever.

So previously we had GSP and Silva, and now we have JJ, MM, and Cruz. Seems like the number of long reigning champs has gone up 50% not down. Please feel free to check my math.
You had Aldo too. You also had Ronda.

Prior to that you had guys like Matt Hughes who had the belt and defended 2 times then got it back and defended 5 times for a total of 7 defenses and guys like Chuck had 4 defenses. So from the generation that saw Hughes and Chuck, the number of defenses actually went up when GSP and Silva came along who had 9 and 10 respectively. Now with Jones and MM we are seeing that GSP and Silva's defense records may be broken.

Fast forward to 2018...

"Bisping at 39 years old has cleared out his divison. He out wrestled Yoel, Submitted Jacare, defeated Weidman and made Luke quit the sport."-Future Goat Michael The Count Bisping

Aka chamPING.

I'm on board!!

....and Jones.

......and Aldo.

.......and Ronda.

As far as I'm concerned, Jones never lost his title.

Jones hasn't ever really even lost a fight. People say Hamill but yea, whatever. Even if you count Hamill as a loss Jones is coming up on 7 years without a loss and during that time has gone 10-0 in title fights.

Fast forward to 2018...

"Bisping at 39 years old has cleared out his divison. He out wrestled Yoel, Submitted Jacare, defeated Weidman and made Luke quit the sport."-Future Goat Michael The Count Bisping

Aka chamPING.
chamPING loool wtf. liked

Back