Safe to say we are no longer in the era of title-holder longevity

Are you thick? He won the belt in 2010. He was never suspended or did anything, he was simply injured. He has 6 title fights since taking the belt in 2010 and won them all. Losing the belt from arbitrary decisions based on injuries do not take any of that away.

Takes nothing away from it, sure. But he was still stripped of the belt.

FACT: his current reign as champion has been 5 months.

If only Cain had blown out his knee again instead of fighting he would be the longest rainingnchamp in MMA history, and he would still be collecting that metro pink

USADA is making our champs lose gainz. :(

Wait, you thought tj deserved the win?

That's hilarious. You poor thing.

Since Cruz did more running than fighting and TJ did more damage, yea I would say Cruz lost that fight. Cruz got a couple of takedowns in which TJ immediately got back up and like a lot of fights I think the judges awarded entire rounds based on 1 insignificant takedown.

There's been 4 times as many title changes in the last 18 months, as there was in the prior 24 months

I don't think that's safe to say at all. Every once in a while a special fighter comes along. One that is just way better than the competition. They've existed since the beginning of Zuffa, and there will always be a couple of them around.

But as the competition improves the champions that aren't that dominating fighter are going to lose. Plus it's just a crazy sport where any fighter can win any fight.

belts are being passed around like hot cakes, with the exception of mighty mouse (but we all know why that is). Will we ever see another champ with that unbreakable aura whilst in his/her prime? Will we ever see another champ with 10+ consecutive title defenses again?

im not totally convined this is the case.

heres a graphic covering the last 8 years or so of UFC champions

xm8rxt.png

Heavyweight - if you look at previous reigns then Werdum was pretty much due to lose, no heavweight has ever defended the belt more than twice

Light Heavweight - was a title stripping and theres no reason not to think Jones will not regain the belt

Middleweight/Welterweight - it could be argued this is the case in these two divisions, and I dont think Lawler will hold onto his belt too long. I think USADA has had an impact in both divisions to be honest.

Lightweight - Again, Pettis reign was no different to those before him

Feathweight - Belts change hands, it happens. Again, if McGregor was to stay at FW theres no reason not to think he wouldnt have a lengthy reigh

Bantamweight - is just returning to the former champ following injury, so nothing changed really

Flyweight - Demetrious stll champ

Womens Bantamweight - the third division it could be claimed for (and again, I think USADA has an impact)

Womens strawweight - too soon to tell

So theres 3 divisions the argument could possibly be applied to, Middleweight, Welterweight and Womens Bantamweight, but I think with all three USADA has played a part

as a note, im thinking of redoing the graphic but basing it on number of defences, think that might paint a better picture.

That old argument. Can't fault MM for that. That's the organizations problem, not the fighters. MM doesn't sign 125'ers
its not the fault of the ufc or MM
theres just not that many adult males who weigh 120 pounds

Since Cruz did more running than fighting and TJ did more damage, yea I would say Cruz lost that fight. Cruz got a couple of takedowns in which TJ immediately got back up and like a lot of fights I think the judges awarded entire rounds based on 1 insignificant takedown.

Haha, people that talk about fights they haven't seen are always amusing.

Back