Saturated doesn't cause heart disease!

2fast2see

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This review article was recently published, and follows the 2019 Annals of Internal medicine meta-analysis which suggested low to no evidence of red meat contributing to cancer or heart disease.

The truth is there was never any credible scientific evidence linking saturated fat (commonly found in animal foods) with heart disease.

Seventy years of nutritional gaslighting started with Ancel Keys and the fiction that cholesterol was inherently harmful, and corollary that we must replace ancestrally appropriate animal-derived fats with industrially refined seed oils. Absurd. @saifedean

For a highly comprehensive explainer on decade long debacle, read this article series by @ProfTimNoakes excellent article series to learn more

In fact there is probably no one man on earth who has done more damage to public health (while intending the opposite) than Ancel Keys.

As I write in my piece The Corruption of the Human Diet, the saturated fat/cholesterol heart disease narrative has been sustained for far way past its used by date. How?

By a an unholy partnership between the Industrial Food Complex hocking toxic seed oils and Big Pharma hocking statin medications. Both industries rely on demonizing dietary saturated fat and cholesterol, and by extension the low-density lipoprotein (LDL).

It is a profitable business to tell people they should eat industrial waste (cottonseed oil, etc.) then prescribe medications to offset the harm done to cardiometabolic health through a lifetime consumption of these products.

Before someone bandies epidemiological data 'proving' the benefits of polyunsaturated oil consumption, consider the empirical reality of us clinicians who treat patients and see objective markers of metabolic health (and subjective health) improve with removal of these oils.

This thread is simply another round about reminder to rid yourself of any vestigial guilt for eating egg yolk or the fat on your steak.

Rid your life of seed oils, embrace animal fats and thrive on having a micronutrient surplus of fat-soluble vitamins and cholesterol.

I'll leave you with the conclusion of this most recent study.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1569938919248269313.html

Yeah I’ve seen that study, but even if it’s right there is more to the story. It’s possible scientists in the past mistook correlation with causation. Most red meat is pretty calorie dense, so a diet heavy in it is likely to lead to obesity which is probably the real cause

The current villains are trans fat and sugar. People have already moved on from saturated fat.

Looking forward to them declaring Ice Cream is not unhealthy..

Natural is the answer. Over consumption of seed oils seems like a bad idea as it would be near impossible to consume large amounts of it if we had to forage for the seeds. Same with meat, we couldn't or wouldn't over consume if we had to hunt and kill it and the meat wouldn't be dyed or injected with whatever...

This review article was recently published, and follows the 2019 Annals of Internal medicine meta-analysis which suggested low to no evidence of red meat contributing to cancer or heart disease.

The truth is there was never any credible scientific evidence linking saturated fat (commonly found in animal foods) with heart disease.

Seventy years of nutritional gaslighting started with Ancel Keys and the fiction that cholesterol was inherently harmful, and corollary that we must replace ancestrally appropriate animal-derived fats with industrially refined seed oils. Absurd. @saifedean

Is the weight of scientific evidence finally exonerating SFAs today or is it still mixed/controversial?

And what about more recent studies about cholesterol lowering meds, are statins still supposed to be routinely recommended for people >40?

None of those studies they’re looking at, if I’m reading this correctly, use empirical data with more than a thousand observations, controlling for other independent variables.

But do you know who does do that? Actuaries. The people who determine, based on a number of characteristics, how long someone will likely live so that insurance companies can figure out how much your premiums for life insurance will be. And your premiums increase if you have higher cholesterol. Those companies actually have skin in the game, so…

I’m not saying that saturated fats and high cholesterol lead to a quicker death or a more probable one. But I am saying that this “study,” which is just an evaluation of other studies, does not convince me the opposite is true either.

Herr’s a study done (rather an article about a study) in which they used thousands of observations and many variables. It says the opposite. This is direct, empirical data. That has more weight than some guys evaluating a series of studies. I’d like to be able to read about the methodology for both a little more in depth though.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/saturated-fats-increased-heart-disease-risk/

Idk wtf that source was in the OP. Some guy’s sub stack?

Oh man... Do I want to waste my time or enjoy the show.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

That’s a relief. I’m having chest pains as I wait for my bacon cheeseburger.

Only means you need more. Make it a double or triple bacon cheeseburger and add extra cheese to the fries. Take one serving daily for the next three weeks (double servings on weekends) and then you should be good. Call me if you have any issues and we can increase the dosage if need be.

I have to double down on my lard, coconut oil, and butter milkshakes to stay healthy

Yeah I’ve seen that study, but even if it’s right there is more to the story. It’s possible scientists in the past mistook correlation with causation. Most red meat is pretty calorie dense, so a diet heavy in it is likely to lead to obesity which is probably the real cause

Nice insight. I think they don't know. They find something and they run with it.
Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!

Is it even meat though????

Drinking hot fluids can be a good source for these diseases too. Can't imagine that's healthy for you, no matter the amounts. Yet a lot of us still can't get rid of that addiction.

None of those studies they’re looking at, if I’m reading this correctly, use empirical data with more than a thousand observations, controlling for other independent variables.

But do you know who does do that? Actuaries. The people who determine, based on a number of characteristics, how long someone will likely live so that insurance companies can figure out how much your premiums for life insurance will be. And your premiums increase if you have higher cholesterol. Those companies actually have skin in the game, so…

I’m not saying that saturated fats and high cholesterol lead to a quicker death or a more probable one. But I am saying that this “study,” which is just an evaluation of other studies, does not convince me the opposite is true either.

Herr’s a study done (rather an article about a study) in which they used thousands of observations and many variables. It says the opposite. This is direct, empirical data. That has more weight than some guys evaluating a series of studies. I’d like to be able to read about the methodology for both a little more in depth though.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/saturated-fats-increased-heart-disease-risk/

Idk wtf that source was in the OP. Some guy’s sub stack?
There's no doubt that high serum(blood) cholesterol has a causal link to increased mortality especially from cardiovascular death. The debate is all around how dietary cholesterol doesn't necessarily lead to a sustained increase in serum cholesterol, which it doesn't. Nothing wrong with most types of fats in general.

Still, there's many variables. I think as far as it goes, it seems that over consuming fats may lead to increases in serum cholesterol, however that is almost exclusively related to trans fats and/or in combination with sugar. This is attenuated to some extent by greens, exercise and otherwise healthy lifestyle choices.

Summation:
Trans fats are pretty bad, refined sugar is pretty bad, trans fat + refined sugar in high amounts is pretty terrible. Otherwise fats generally good (unsaturated healthy), greens very healthy, meats generally healthy albeit large amounts of red meat specifically may increase risk for some cancers and cardiovascular diseases.

Last edited:
Back