Saudi Public Investment Fund

NoStoneUnturned

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How long before the Saudis threaten to start their own fight league paying fighters larger salaries forcing the UFC to sell out or partner up? If they can buy into Golf and Soccer then the UFC by comparison is peanuts. Or is the UFC simply too much of a little peanut to care?

Side note; I'm surprised the UFC hasn't had an event in Saudi Arabia considering Khabib, Islam and Khamzat's popularity.

Buddy.... get some help.

It is out of realm of possibility? They host fights in Dubai, plenty of Islamic fighters to represent, they are pushing into sports hard via their public investment fund, and seems like a possible logical step in their progression at what is likely minimal cost compared to other sports like F1, soccer, and Golf.

Edit: This isn't an anti-islam thread. It is a serious question.

They already have wrestling.
meetthetalibum-shr.gif

giphy.gif

7m0A.gif

<36>

I actually hope they do. The Saudis surely would remove WMMA, USADA and the 10-points-must-system; all which are haram, if I remember my theology correctly. And also: The fights would air at times befit for the civilized world. So, what here is not to like?

How long before the Saudis threaten to start their own fight league paying fighters larger salaries forcing the UFC to sell out or partner up? If they can buy into Golf and Soccer then the UFC by comparison is peanuts. Or is the UFC simply too much of a little peanut to care?
golf and soccer are considered prestigious

ufc is human cockfighting, which is not a good look for sportswashing

UFCs slavery contracts are usually exclusive and have a huge matching/negotiating period. So saudis won’t be able to do massive damage until a couple of years in the game

I don't think they'd be interested because MMA generally doesn't tie to international tourism the way Golf, Soccer, F1, and Tennis do.

If they did want to break into the space their bigger problem would be contract length and negotiating period. Nganou proves you can get talent out of the UFC. But the question then becomes can you get anyone to pay attention once they've left. Bellator and PFL have struggled with this so far, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Maybe. The merge between LIV and PGA was shocking. It's only been 13 months since the 1st LIV Tourny.

It is out of realm of possibility? They host fights in Dubai, plenty of Islamic fighters to represent, they are pushing into sports hard via their public investment fund, and seems like a possible logical step in their progression at what is likely minimal cost compared to other sports like F1, soccer, and Golf.

Edit: This isn't an anti-islam thread. It is a serious question.

I'm with you. Having been to Saudi a couple times (and lived throughout the ME), there's virtually nothing they won't do for money, so you ask a very reasonable/legitimate question.
That being said, as you may suspect, MMA in the big picture is still just "peanuts" compared to what they already have their fingers in. The one angle where I could see them having a legit interest is because they (quite recently/within the last 20 years) have embraced bjj quite a bit. So maybe an errant prince might invest? LOL, who knows and I hope not. I truly despise their societal makeup and the inequalities built into it (not to be confused with their culture, which has great aspects . . . unless you're a woman/gay/minority/foreigner without money).

Ah yes, the Saudi's are well known for their high moral standards.

He wasn't talking about morality he was talking about prestige and tradition. Golf is seen as a regal kind of sport whereas UFC is associated with this guy.

<{JustBleed}>

Golf is something elites generally enjoy doing and care a great deal about.

UFCs slavery contracts are usually exclusive and have a huge matching/negotiating period. So saudis won’t be able to do massive damage until a couple of years in the game
It would be almost impossible to poach more than one or two top fighters and have them fight within a year. The amount of good fighters the ufc has signed to 8 fight contracts + a matching period is stupid

Back