Economy Science discovers that sex is a better predictor of sports performance than gender

Can you believe this?

• Yes

• No it's fascism

Results are only viewable after voting.
you are welcome to provide a random sampling of women and men competing in an endurance race where women beat out the men.

You're still missing the point lol

Even at entry level, those adults have been treated differently for most of their lives, and encouraged to do different things.

It's not a level playing field.

Drawing absolute conclusions about the limitations of 'men' and 'women' without the obvious caveats makes no sense at all.

You're still missing the point lol

Even at entry level, those adults have been treated differently for most of their lives, and encouraged to do different things.

It's not a level playing field.

Drawing absolute conclusions about the limitations of 'men' and 'women' without the obvious caveats makes no sense at all.
the link I posted: https://runninglevel.com/running-times/marathon-times

starts at age 10 you dolt

More active participants around the world means a larger field which always will yield a deeper talent pool than if there were far less competitors within a particular group (in this case, sex). How you don't understand something so basic is beyond me. It's well-known. Nobody disputes it.

You can't just pretend they'd be faster if participation rates were different. The record differences aren't small or insignificant enough for that. You aren't just shaving off half an hour in a 100km race.

What you should really be arguing is that they've discovered females have a certain biological advantage over males but it's offset by other advantages males have so the males still perform better overall.

you are welcome to provide a random sampling of women and men competing in an endurance race where women beat out the men.
right, participation rates theory at the beginner level, I wasnt even going on about elite athletes at that point, read the link, it's quite clear, there is no competition. You're welcome to bring some facts of performances that prove otherwise.
You might find this interesting.
Many people will likely point out that men are still outperforming women in long-distance events. This is true, but it is also changing. Women are now regularly finishing ultra-endurance events before men: like Jasmin Paris, who won the Montane Spine Race—an epic, week-long run of more than 260 miles from England to Scotland—in 2019 while still breastfeeding her child. As more women take part in these ultra-endurance events, we are likely going to see a greater number of women outperforming men.
Women are horribly underrepresented in exercise physiology—both as researchers and research participants.

Because of this lack of representation, we know comparatively little about the best training and nutritional practices for women much less their performance limits. Furthermore, we know very little about how the menstrual cycle (for women who menstruate) impacts performance, as current studies are plagued by a small number of participants, a lack of actual hormone measurements, and poor accounting for hormonal contraceptive use.

Might want to read the full article there. It goes into detail about biological women's inherent advantages over men in endurance sports. Everything from better glucose storage and usage in the muscles to higher slow-twitch muscle proportions to more adiponectin.

Which type of gymnastics? I mean there's a handful (artistic, rhythmic, acrobatic, aerobic, etc). Why do you think it is that women's gymnastics are so much more popular than men's and not just nationally here in the US but internationally around the world?
Because it's gay when men do it. Not much of a fan base for "male gymnastics".

I'm only half joking. Gymnastics(well, most competitions anyways) are like Ballet. The men can do it, but having a masculine dude up there doing it and prancing around n' shit, just doesn't jive with how it's presented. It's a very feminine sport/activity. Figure skating is in the same realm. It's just not something that's gonna capture sports fans, which are mostly men. The men can do it, though, and they have the athletic ability to trump the females in all areas.

You can't just pretend they'd be faster if participation rates were different. The record differences aren't small or insignificant enough for that. You aren't just shaving off half an hour in a 100km race.

What you should really be arguing is that they've discovered females have a certain biological advantage over males but it's offset by other advantages males have so the males still perform better overall.
I never once pretended that they'd be faster than men if the number of competitors were equal or near equal. That's your assumption. All I suggested was that they'd do significantly better in terms of their times and they would. Hell, it's already happening now. I just gave an example of a female ultra distance runner above that beat men. I'm sure there will be more and more examples as participation rates rise among women in endurance sports.

I'm only half joking. Gymnastics(well, most competitions anyways) are like Ballet. The men can do it, but having a masculine dude up there doing it and prancing around n' shit, just doesn't jive with how it's presented. It's a very feminine sport/activity. Figure skating is in the same realm. It's just not something that's gonna capture sports fans, which are mostly men. The men can do it, though, and they have the athletic ability to trump the females in all areas.

Those are interesting sports, as they're often judged on aesthetics.

Not the easiest to determine who the best 'dancer' is, male or female.

In athletics? Not at all. Men are far better equipped in all areas. So much so, that people have to pull out some study that has never been tested in practice on "ultra endurance competitions" that don't exist. Where is the actual data on that? Where has a top woman defeated a top man in marathons? Nowhere. Oh', but I'm supposed to believe that if a put a few more miles in there that the women would come out on top. Yeah, I highly doubt that.

A number of male gymnasts are gay. Certainly. But that's not a requirement. I'm sure plenty of straight guys have been gymnasts. Men are better suited for figure skating. They're able to hit quads much more often for example. There are still women that can as well but it's rarer to see with them. Scott Hamilton was a well-known world class figure skater. Obviously the women are more well-known in individual skating, particularly since the Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding incident decades ago. That gave them a ton of publicity, which for Tonya, was bad publicity. I still haven't seen "I, Tonya" and don't plan to.

I never once pretended that they'd be faster than men if the number of competitors were equal or near equal. That's your assumption. All I suggested was that they'd do significantly better in terms of their times and they would. Hell, it's already happening now. I just gave an example of a female ultra distance runner above that beat men. I'm sure there will be more and more examples as participation rates rise among women in endurance sports.

Will be interesting to see of any new developments. As far as I'm aware there's no sport where women have beat men (at the highest level) that's purely athletic.

The other sports you've mentioned are jury sports unless there's some posts I skipped over.

One somewhat off topic thing about endurance sports is that it seems like older people often excel at that. The chick you mentioned that won a race was 36 when she won as well. I wonder if there's any real correlation between age and endurance capabilities. Any thoughts on that?

Those are interesting sports, as they're often judged on aesthetics.

Not the easiest to determine who the best 'dancer' is, male or female.
Dancing is certainly interesting, because I do think men are technically better in execution, but they don't have the same grace and visual appeal. That's pretty much where the distinction lies. Men can do that shit, but it ain't gonna look nearly as good as when a woman does it, unless it's like break dancing or something that better pieces together with masculinity.

A number of male gymnasts are gay. Certainly. But that's not a requirement. I'm sure plenty of straight guys have been gymnasts. Men are better suited for figure skating. They're able to hit quads much more often for example. There are still women that can as well but it's rarer to see with them. Scott Hamilton was a well-known world class figure skater. Obviously the women are more well-known in individual skating, particularly since the Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding incident decades ago. That gave them a ton of publicity, which for Tonya, was bad publicity. I still haven't seen "I, Tonya" and don't plan to.
I wasn't commenting on the actual sexuality of the athletes. It's just not something that is gonna attract males to watch or compete in all that much. I think the same rules of figure skating apply to gymnastics. If there's a woman out there who can do four jumping twirls or whatever, there's a guy out there who can do seven or eight. It's just not a male dominated sport, because it's rather feminine.

Will be interesting to see of any new developments. As far as I'm aware there's no sport where women have beat men (at the highest level) that's purely athletic.

The other sports you've mentioned are jury sports unless there's some posts I skipped over.

One somewhat off topic thing about endurance sports is that it seems like older people often excel at that. The chick you mentioned that won a race was 36 when she won as well. I wonder if there's any real correlation between age and endurance capabilities. Any thoughts on that?
Depends what you mean by purely athletic. Last I checked women still hold the world record in free diving over men. They're also better sport divers and at stuff like marathon swimming. Also, anything that involves flexibility. That's the easiest athletic attribute to readily observe as far as female biological advantages go. Ever seen a guy try and do a back bend or bridge? A female with zero training can complete both or come very close. Or pull their leg up over their head with ease, do a split, or perform a straddle no problem. Their lower spine is much more flexible and supportive than it is for males and their muscle elasticity is much higher.

I don't know about the age to endurance performance correlation. Never looked into it. There probably is one but I don't know what it involves or how strong it'd be.

women are much better hoola hooping, hips dont lie

And those 10 year olds are still subject to different expectations.

We aren't suddenly living in a perfectly woke, equality-driven world lol
just because you expect more, it doesnt mean you have same results. What do 10 year olds have to do with adults?

a beginner 10 year old marathon runner has an average time of 5:55. Same aged female has an average time of 6:42. That is a 47 minute difference, which is massive. Quit trying to gaslight this thread, you come off as a dumbass, I live amongst 4 ladies in the house, they all have horrible endurance since they were born, my 5 year old boy outruns my 7 year old girl, and it had nothing to do with "expectations" kid cant even talk <Lmaoo>, that shit is called biology.

I wasn't commenting on the actual sexuality of the athletes. It's just not something that is gonna attract males to watch or compete in all that much. I think the same rules of figure skating apply to gymnastics. If there's a woman out there who can do four jumping twirls or whatever, there's a guy out there who can do seven or eight. It's just not a male dominated sport, because it's rather feminine.
Gymnastics will definitely attract far less men because of the assumed homosexual orientation (or bisexual) stigma that's so prevalent. We'll just call it a non-heterosexual male stigma. It also applies to male cheerleaders though every school has them. Mine did. Competitive cheerleading is a team sport, though, and the base is best off being male. The ones flying through the air doing acrobatic feats like tumbling, stunting, and so on have obviously traditionally been female.

just because you expect more, it doesnt mean you have same results. What do 10 year olds have to do with adults?

a beginner 10 year old marathon runner has an average time of 5:55. Same aged female has an average time of 6:42. That is a 47 minute difference, which is massive. Quit trying to gaslight this thread, you come off as a dumbass, I live amongst 4 ladies in the house, they all have horrible endurance since they were born, my 5 year old boy outruns my 7 year old girl, and it had nothing to do with "expectations" kid cant even talk <Lmaoo>, that shit is called biology.

Possibly the stupidest post I've ever read on Sherdog, congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lessconaga
Back