Share your training regimen.

are there any programs that aren't boring?
Legit question, not a snark

Yeah. Screaming Pilates, P90X, and CrossFit. Maybe visiting some hardcore niche gym will spice things up. But that's it.

I said it here before... Real training is hard and dull. It only becomes interesting if you find a way to make it interesting in your own head. Otherwise, all the effective training programs for strength and size are boring and grueling.

Conjugate is not boring because it is highly customizable with different exercises or training other athletic attributes along with it. 5/3/1 is an easily malleable template as well. But yes there are many ways to make training not boring.

Conjugate is not boring because it is highly customizable with different exercises or training other athletic attributes along with it. 5/3/1 is an easily malleable template as well. But yes there are many ways to make training not boring.
Have to actually research what the word means, I see it here and hear it randomly but no idea what the structure is. You've been on it for baseball so it has more purpose than power lifting.

Have to actually research what the word means, I see it here and hear it randomly but no idea what the structure is. You've been on it for baseball so it has more purpose than power lifting.
all it is a rotation of max effort exercises/dynamic effort/ repetition effort (plus power or sports specific training you want ad naseum) yes you are correct if I were to choose pure strength I would spam Sheiko routines but alas a lot of volume on SBD doesn't make sense in my case.

Just as with 5/3/1 there about a million ways to do a "conjugate" program which is actually appropriately a concurrent program

Strongman is pretty bloody fun. It feels like you are playing with various lifts and usually you do it in a group. It kinda reminds me of a bunch of mates just challenging each other to lift more or carry something heavy the furthest.

Strongman is pretty bloody fun. It feels like you are playing with various lifts and usually you do it in a group. It kinda reminds me of a bunch of mates just challenging each other to lift more or carry something heavy the furthest.

Fun, but also hard to measure progress.

Use a lot of this each week. Carries, yokes, bags, throwing random shit across the room. If strongman was a program, that is fun.

Use a lot of this each week. Carries, yokes, bags, throwing random shit across the room. If strongman was a program, that is fun.

Just turn it into your program. I am using my sandbags to do all my deadlift and squat movements because I just don't feel like doing barbell lifts for this training block. I am pretty sure you already do similar anyway from your posts. I usually prefer using a sandbag for my carries but might load up a barbell to simulate a yoke with some kettlebells attached.

Just progressively overload an exercise here or there and you can turn Strongman into an all round program pretty easily as opposed to just doing an events session.

I got the idea from the old Brooks Kubik DInosaur training book except I don't have friends so I just usually use strongman style carries as a finisher on my own to make things more fun.

Just turn it into your program. I am using my sandbags to do all my deadlift and squat movements because I just don't feel like doing barbell lifts for this training block. I am pretty sure you already do similar anyway from your posts. I usually prefer using a sandbag for my carries but might load up a barbell to simulate a yoke with some kettlebells attached.

Just progressively overload an exercise here or there and you can turn Strongman into an all round program pretty easily as opposed to just doing an events session.

I got the idea from the old Brooks Kubik DInosaur training book except I don't have friends so I just usually use strongman style carries as a finisher on my own to make things more fun.
Guilty for getting a bit carried away with them, strongman pun no charge. Have sandbag collection in 15lb intervals from 50-275. They all get treated like wrestling dummies.

That style of training is one of the most entertaining. Its dynamic and requires much more body communication than laying/standing still. You don't even have to be a big fella to do it, lower weights in same events still kicks your ass.

Add weight?
Carry further?
Do more reps?
Do a harder variation? (Yoke vs zercher carry)

It's all progressive overload. It doesn't have to be complicated unless you are training to compete at a top level competition.

I was thinking that “fun” strongman training was more like doing several strongman events in training with no rhyme or reason and just randomly exerting effort here and there.

I'm just curious to see what everyone is doing. And what's your goal with it?
I started walking to the mailbox the other week. Fucked me up & I found a lot of bills. I won't be doing that again as it seems to cost me a shit load. Should just pay someone to pick them up & mark them return to sender.

Just going to walk to the fridge & back once a day & then ramp shit up. After a month I may even be able to go to my fridge about 4 times a day. Hey, gotta pace yourself:)

Guilty for getting a bit carried away with them, strongman pun no charge. Have sandbag collection in 15lb intervals from 50-275. They all get treated like wrestling dummies.

That style of training is one of the most entertaining. Its dynamic and requires much more body communication than laying/standing still. You don't even have to be a big fella to do it, lower weights in same events still kicks your ass.
I have an 83lb, 150lb and 200lb bag. I absolutely love using it and wished I had a bit more variety in my weight. I think 50lb jumps would be good. I just add reps and distance for now. I was doing bear hug lunges yesterday which I actually prefer over squats with the same bags.

The 150lb one is my favourite. It's just under my bodyweight and feels like that good 75-80% barbell training load. I couldn't even lift the 200lb when I first filled it until I got the lap technique down.

I recently started using my clubbells again for the first time in years and that has been a bit of fun. I some small clubs(I think 4kg) 2x15lb and a 35lb clubbell. They contrast really well with the brute force aspect of the sandbag lifting, followed by some technical based odd object work for my shoulders.

I enjoy squats, behcpress and deadlifts, but I get pretty bored these days if it's all I do.

I was thinking that “fun” strongman training was more like doing several strongman events in training with no rhyme or reason and just randomly exerting effort here and there.

Why wouldn't it be fun doing the same exact exercises but also progressing? All you need to do is repeat them at some point with the goal to do a little more and it's now an actual training program.

Training is just exercising with the goal to improve something at the simplest level. You could pick those random strongman exercises and just do them a couple times and add some extra assistance work for areas that you struggle in (grip strength for example) and do that for 4-6+ weeks. Now it's a Strongman training program.

It doesn't matter too much unless you are trying to win the Worlds Strongest man. Provided it' snot fully randomized and includes some progression, you are doing a fun training program.

Why wouldn't it be fun doing the same exact exercises but also progressing? All you need to do is repeat them at some point with the goal to do a little more and it's now an actual training program.

Training is just exercising with the goal to improve something at the simplest level. You could pick those random strongman exercises and just do them a couple times and add some extra assistance work for areas that you struggle in (grip strength for example) and do that for 4-6+ weeks. Now it's a Strongman training program.

It doesn't matter too much unless you are trying to win the Worlds Strongest man. Provided it' snot fully randomized and includes some progression, you are doing a fun training program.

Is it really fun if it’s the same thing over and over again for years? Compare that to partying, or trolling people online, or going to concerts, or playing Fortnite…

It‘s not fun. Even when we finally achieve the sought-after “flow state”, it is still not fun. But us Sherdoggers do it anyway because we are powerful people with Stoic values. We make it fun in our heads. We’re just that awesome.

Is it really fun if it’s the same thing over and over again for years? Compare that to partying, or trolling people online, or going to concerts, or playing Fortnite…

It‘s not fun. Even when we finally achieve the sought-after “flow state”, it is still not fun. But us Sherdoggers do it anyway because we are powerful people with Stoic values. We make it fun in our heads. We’re just that awesome.

When did I ever say do the same thing for years? Come on you can do better than that.

I couldn;t think of anything worse than partying or trolling people online. Imagine your life being so bad that you get excited by hanging around a bunch of drunk f wits still or making people get upset on an internet forum. Talking online with people about something is different, but actually trolling in 2024.

Imagine thinking that was still cool....

<BC1>

When did I ever say do the same thing for years?

Whatever you said or didn’t say, it’s what everybody should do if their goal is to become great at their craft.

For example, I was an insecure, shy virgin loser throughout high school. So I spent years learning the art of seduction by endlessly socializing with random people. And now I can charm women easily wherever I go. Sometimes they even sleep with me. That’s the product of years and years of doing the same thing over and over again. In my case, endless socialization with strangers wherever I go.

Whatever you said or didn’t say, it’s what everybody should do if their goal is to become great at their craft.

For example, I was an insecure, shy virgin loser throughout high school. So I spent learning the art of seduction by endlessly socializing with random people. And now I can charm women easily wherever I go. Sometimes they even sleep with me. That’s the product of years and years of doing the same thing over and over again. In my case, endless socialization with strangers wherever I go.
We all know that none of that is true and completely irrelevant to the topic you created in a strength and conditioning forum about a training regime.

We all know that none of that is true and completely irrelevant to the topic you created in a strength and conditioning forum about a training regime.
First of all, you prematurely quoted me. Didn’t you see my edit in my post? I added the word “years”. You didn’t miss it, right?

Back