PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Yeah, I honestly didn't know that setting the frequency to what the RAM is being sold as is overclocking.

Basically its the same as 2133mhz RAM but the manufacturer tells you its good enough to overclock?

Yeah, I honestly didn't know that setting the frequency to what the RAM is being sold as is overclocking.

Basically its the same as 2133mhz RAM but the manufacturer tells you its good enough to overclock?
No, 2133MHz is the DDR4 standard. That's the baseline that RAM will default to until it has been clocked differently in the BIOS or through RAM tweaking software.

Indeed, just because RAM is sold at 3600MHz doesn't mean it will run at that frequency on all setups, but the manufacturer quotes a specification they guarantee it can hit on certain setups. This is why it's helpful to look at the QVL list for your motherboard after you've decided which CPU/MoBo combo to get before ordering the RAM. Here is the QVL for your motherboard and CPU:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-19

The QVL is a guarantee from MSI that with your CPU that RAM will run at that speed. It's more painstaking, but you look for kits of the right size you're after (ex. 16GB or 32GB) at the speed you desire, then you can copy the model number into PC Part Picker search bar to determine the current best price.

Nevertheless, many sticks will run at their rated speed, or even higher. This is why b-die RAM is so costly. Those kits are known to run at fantastic overclocks on just about anything. Ultimately, they aren't the best value respective to their cost.

Your sticks RAM code are F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC. They don't show up on that QVL list, specifically, but you can see that every F4-3600C16D kit from G. Skill is rated to run at the promised 3600MHz. So it's weird those wouldn't automatically overclock via XMP, but at the end of the day, if you manually calibrated it to get you there, well, you got there.

It’s like buying an unlocked Intel CPU. OC’ing can void the warranty. :confused:

Should i update bios to use the ryzen 5 2400g? Or will it work without any update?

Gigabytes website listed it as working on the F1 bios (which is the stock bios) so you should be good according to there website.

Linus and Luke testing out the new screen protector/screen shield for their TV. This was epic lol

Linus and Luke testing out the new screen protector/screen shield for their TV. This was epic lol

They said it failed but IMO it worked. Yeah, it scratched the screen but it's still usable. I'm curious if it would have scratched a higher end tv with a better scratch resistant glass, they said they used a cheap TV.
I'd rather have a couple of scratches on my screen than this
hqdefault.jpg

I don't know jack shit about computers.

@Madmick

What is the best gaming system I could build with a budget of 2k?

Look at the Zero Ultra Build here. It's a good start and actually under $1800.

https://pcmasterrace.org/builds

Also check out r/PCMasterRace

At this point, the 3700x shouldn't be purchased imo.
In a couple months when the new consoles launch, 8 cores is going to be the minimum. The extra $140 you spend now for 12 cores will be a better investment for the future.
@BEER

At this point, the 3700x shouldn't be purchased imo.
In a couple months when the new consoles launch, 8 cores is going to be the minimum. The extra $140 you spend now of 12 cores will be a better investment for the future.
@BEER
We’ll see what the mickster says.

Either option is fine as long as you replace the PSU in the prebuild.
Your mobo may need to be flashed though. Or choose another one above the B450.
I may go with that site you mentioned, found a really good build in the 1500 price range with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core 3.6GHz CPU and RTX 2060 Super

I may go with that site you mentioned, found a really good build in the 1500 price range with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core 3.6GHz CPU and RTX 2060 Super
That price seems high for a 3600 and 2060 S.

kicking around two options
either build it myself
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q88Pcq
or pick up a prebuilt nearby
https://www.microcenter.com/product/621378/ibuypower-mct3800-gaming-computer

any opinions would be helpful

On the build it yourself, drop the Windows 10 retail CD key and get a key from urcdkey, kinguin, etc for around $15. Take that savings and put it towards upgrading that cpu to a Ryzen 9 3900. With the $100ish investment now going from a 3700x that has 8 cores 12 threads to a Ryzen 9 3900x with 12 cores 24 threads it will give you an extra couple years down the road before you need to upgrade the cpu.

Last edited:
You don’t need to activate Windows 10 at all unless you care about having a custom theme or whatever.

Back