• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should Dana stop fighters crossing the line with attacks on family members?

Just bc people are allowed to say anything they want, it doesn't discount the responsibility of watching wtf you say.

Values and virtues disappearing from human life on the daily. People being ok with it is a problem. I'm in the, apparently, very small camp that values integrity and respect over what sells.

GSP kept his personal life hidden from the fight game because he knew that's one thing his competitors can use to hurt him, just doing GOAT things.

They know you fanboys eat up this WWE drama like bored housewives

It's a catch 22 imo.

On the one hand these are fighters, and tough folks. Freedom of speech should be allowed.

But on the other hand, if the org is trying to come across as professional, then employees publicly attacking each other's families isn't exactly endearing to said professionalism. lol
Exactly. That is why an NBA/NFL player would get hit with discipline for saying that kind of shit. They sign a contract reflecting the fact that they can be disciplined for publicly saying embarrasing things.

I think what it comes down to is that other sports aren't dependent on smack talk for their popularity; the UFC has built its profit in much the same way as the WWE- grudge matches. You have a handful of fighters that were just so good they didn't need smacktalk to be a draw, like GSP and Anderson. Virtually every other example of a big draw in the UFC is a smacktalker, and they are by far the biggest- Paddy, Brock, Conor, Ronda, on and on.

So really, it is a bottom line decision by the UFC, and they always choose the bottom line over all else.

You seem to disregard the law which makes intellectually dishonest.
Talking shit= Legal. Assault= Illegal.
I’d write in in crayon for you, but you ate all of them already.
Fuck the law. Who are you? The law master? The police?

Get outta here pussy

As Chael said, words cannot physically hurt you. Except maybe in a court of law.

Pussy, you still there?

Anyone can claim to be a fighter , prove it big P.
What did you say about calling someone a pussy again? That’s right, you’re so dumb that you literally just owned yourself.
Why do I need to prove anything to a low IQ imbecile that is such a lil’ bitch, he wants free speech policed and believes the government grants us our rights?
I already admitted to that you dumb witt.
If you’re gonna insult someone’s intelligence, at least spell “wit” correctly you absolute bafoon.

But if you get shanked or hit in response, they are going to have consequences. That is reality.

You don't get to beat the shit out of someone because you got your feelings hurt.

Furthermore, using real world examples is kind of bullshit in this context anyway because this is not a usual environment. For example, threatening to murder someone would be illegal on the street and justify a violent response, but "im going to kill you on Saturday night" means basically nothing in terms of press conference trash talk.
Hmm you got a point. I really see what you're saying but at the end of the day, there are words, then there are FIGHTING words. That's it man.

Even at a UFC press conference, some lines get crossed. When it does, don't be suprised when a mofo gets killed.

Hmm you got a point. I really see what you're saying but at the end of the day, there are words, then there are FIGHTING words. That's it man.

Even at a UFC press conference, some lines get crossed. When it does, don't be suprised when a mofo gets killed.
If you fight over words in the real word, the consequences are jail, dipshit.

I will be grateful to take this supression of American culture and free speech.

Maple syrup and Molson was come standard with this thin-veil Anti-American narrative, correct?

notgoodnk.png
#TheyControlTheMedia

You agree with the TS. You’re outraged by Colby. Go color your hair.

Being in the cage is when they’re working, woke-guy.
Conor Mcgregor got pulled out of UFC 200 for missing the pre fight press conference. Shut your old ass up grandpa.

In prize fighting, the actual fight isn't the only work. Can't believe i have to explain this. What more do you wanna know?

I remember when Dana used to crack down on white van jokes, fighters punching after the bell. Things have really gone downhill since the Conor dolly toss and more recently, the ole wife slap made it impossible for the UFC to pretend that they hold any high ground when it comes to these things.

Many here do not entirely understand freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech in the 1st Amendment protects you from the government arresting and prosecuting you for what you say provided it doesn't cause provable harm, like yellling "fire" in a crowded theater.

What the 1st amendment ISN'T is something that protects you from being fired by a private company for saying things publicly that you signed a contract agreeing not to say. You chose to sign that contract. No one is putting you in jail.

Also, like with the debacle of UFC workout equipment, if company is involved with another company (such as a sponsor for a product or company) and one company says something publicly that the other company feels could lose them money by association, there is nothing wrong with the first company cutting ties. It is not unamerican or a violation of free speech- it is in perfect keeping with how a capitalist system works. Again, no one is putting you in jail.

There is no doubt that the more heated a pre -fight conflict gets, the more interest the fight will generate. And I feel Douche White is conveniently hiding behind the "this is the fight business" slogan fully realizing this fact.

I still think however that family members, especially dead ones, should be off limits and that is something Dana could enforce.

Do you guys that he should penalize fighters who do cross the line? I feel most fighters don't go there anyway , the two instances I know of are Colby and Conor, the asshole and the drunk.

Thoughts?

Dana White is a fight promoter, not an elementary school guidance counselor. If two grown men want to talk shit to each other before they get into a cage to beat the shit out of each other, even if it's about personal stuff like family, it's not Dana's job or inclination to stop them. At the end of the day, you're basically saying Dana White should step in and stop people's feelings from being hurt

That would be such a slippery slope and what would be the actual guidelines..

You could, instead, avoid the slippery slope and put a hard line at violence. But looks like Dana's okay with all violence outside of the cage as well. Anything for the money.

Back