Snatching defeat from the clutches of victory

Thiago Alves had been beating up Kampmann for the entire fight, and with one minute left in the fight he chooses to go for a takedown for some godforsaken reason (edit: apparantly according to Werdun his coach told him to shoot a TD lmao)

alveskampmann.gif

I had money on Thiago, still bothers me because it was the last part of a decent parlay.

Hardy did the exact same this against Lytle lol
13.gif
He was getting beat up by Lytle though, wasn't he? At least that takedown attempt made sense in that Dan was just desperate.

Darrion Caldwell had a moment like this against Joe Taimanglo. Was comfortably ahead 2-0 heading into the 3rd and final round, and then shot from so far out, almost in slow motion, straight into a guillotine. It was crazy to see such a telegraphed shot from a high level wrestler.

So basically choking or making a foolish mistake?

The title of the thread is . . . <Huh2><Varys01><WhatIsThis><Kpop01><{1-10}>
Yes, everything you said, PLUS it happens while ahead in a dominant performance or clear cut would be win.
I honestly thought it was a clever play on words that let you know EXACTLY what he meant. I saw the thread and instantly knew what he was looking for. Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat puts the onus on the behind fighter coming back. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is different and pretty hilarious tbh

Yes, everything you said, PLUS it happens while ahead in a dominant performance or clear cut would be win.
I honestly thought it was a clever play on words that let you know EXACTLY what he meant. I saw the thread and instantly knew what he was looking for. Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat puts the onus on the behind fighter coming back. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is different and pretty hilarious tbh
Thank you sherbro, I’m glad at least some of us got it. But I’m not surprised at some of the responses, a lot of people just log on here to get mad about something and vent their frustration or try to one up the other poster and thread, so it’s all good.

He was getting beat up by Lytle though, wasn't he? At least that takedown attempt made sense in that Dan was just desperate.

Darrion Caldwell had a moment like this against Joe Taimanglo. Was comfortably ahead 2-0 heading into the 3rd and final round, and then shot from so far out, almost in slow motion, straight into a guillotine. It was crazy to see such a telegraphed shot from a high level wrestler.

Except his was a panic wrestling thing as he was getting his ass kicked in the stand up.
Yeah i was pointing out the similarity of the finishes.

Virtually identical

<Goldie11>

Thiago Alves had been beating up Kampmann for the entire fight, and with one minute left in the fight he chooses to go for a takedown for some godforsaken reason (edit: apparantly according to Werdun his coach told him to shoot a TD lmao)

alveskampmann.gif
Some fighters have an uncanny ability to dig down deep and find the will to lose.

This is a pretty prime example.

Silva Sonnen?

Edgar Maynard 2 and 3???
Silva vs Chael 1 ... Yes. Chael kicked Silvas ass all over the octagon for 23 minutes and was in top position and should have been in control had he not have gotten lazy (or tired maybe) and let Anderson hold onto wrist control.

Frankie vs Maynard as I recall was more a matter of Maynard doing a ton of damage early and Frankie hanging in and turning the tide of the fight with superior cardio. By which I mean it wasn't a hail Mary "lucky shot" type of thing, but rather Maynard gassed and Frankie took over.

especially the third fight, that ending was actually pretty brutal, Frankie bounced Maynard's head around like a pinball and Gray's chin and ability to take a punch was really never the same after that.

Hardy did the exact same this against Lytle lol
13.gif
Lytle was a fucking beast.

He was one of my favorite fighters to watch, he never had a fight I recall where he 'didnt show up' he may not have won them all, but anyone he faced was going to have to be ready to go to war.

And he was exceptionally well rounded, Lytle was lethal on the ground, his top game was deadly.

I remember him pulling off a nasty double sub, with a inverted triangle and a kimura. I remember watching him set it up, going from crucifix (ish) position to North south and locking in the triangle and thinking "oh damn, that dude is fucked, just a matter of when and how Lytle ends this"

Randleman vs sakuraba-he was winning the fight pretty handedly before the armbar.

Back