Social So the KC Chiefs name is blatant racism?

Team names based around indigenous groups were not done out of racist intent, but generally from appreciation for their tenacity and warrior spirits. Proper terms by todays standards? Maybe not and maybe that needs addressing.
Yep, thanks for addressing it. Now bring back Aunt Jemima and the hot Land O Lakes gal.

Redskins was racist. I don’t think Chiefs is.

Do most native Americans even give a shit about this? I think that’s the important question
No,
We don’t give any fucks and can’t stand the 1% of the Natives that take on this cause for their own sake.

The Natives that people see protesting at the Capitol for this type of thing are in bad standings within their own tribal communities.

They are basically looked at in Tribal Lands as a type of Native “Far left or Far Right”, their own people and tribes do not want to be associated with them.

Last edited:
Are you guys bitching about shit us natives don’t give a fuck about, again..?
indian-tear.gif

Do most native Americans even give a shit about this? I think that’s the important question
No. Is it doing harm? That's the important question. See my reply to Spamking above. I have no horse in this race, as it were, but if you take that quoted paragraph at face value, it's enough reason in my eyes.

Regarding your link to the sweatshirt,
"Our products are not affiliated with, licensed, sponsored, or endorsed by any college, team, league, event or licensing entity. The work of art incorporated into this product has been copied from a work that is in the public domain. Vintage Brand® LLC, products are not authorized or sponsored by any college, team, league, or event. All products are designed by Vintage Brand® and manufactured for Vintage Brand®. Privacy policy | CAL Disclosure."

Just sayin'.

Edit: you didn't comment on the story you quoted. Do you take some sort of exception to this paragraph?

"The pushback against teams using Native American imagery is justified because research reveals that images and behavior connected to Native mascots contribute to lower self esteem, increased rates of depression and increased in-school discrimination toward Native youth."

I'm aware the sweatshirt isn't affiliated with or licensed by the KC Chiefs. Not really something I'm concerned with.

Was this part of my comment not exactly what you're saying I didn't do?

As an American Indian I am on the fence with most of this and honestly don't get offended like others seem to.

Would you not be able to infer that I disagree with it being used as described?

I thought I had typed more up to include, but I guess I didn't. Native communities have so much more to be concerned about than this . . . I'd say the lack of adequate drinking water and other local business opportunities are higher on their list of things to worry about.

No. Is it doing harm? That's the important question. See my reply to Spamking above. I have no horse in this race, as it were, but if you take that quoted paragraph at face value, it's enough reason in my eyes.
Except as I replied to you . . . . it's not doing harm in any significant way and it really isn't sufficient enough reason to change it. It's a crutch many people have latched on to as a reason for their own shortcomings.

I'm guessing all you liberals in here agree, that the name "Chiefs" and the mascot itself is blatant hate and racism? When fans dress up as an actual chief may, that's even worse, right?

Is the "Fighting Irish" of Notre Dame racist too, and is any name based on an actual group of people a symbol of hate and racism?

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...should-be-kansas-city-chiefs-last-ncna1256935
If Irish people or Irish Americans think the "Fighting Irish" is derogatory then yeah it would be too.

The difference between the Notre Dame case and the Kansas City Chiefs case is that in the later Native tribes are opposed to the name and mascot. I have not heard of any Irish American groups being opposed to the Notre Dame name and mascot.

The reason Native orgs are opposed to it is for the same reason they are opposed to non natives wearing the Native ceremonial feathred headdress - it is insulting to their culture to appropriate something they hold dear and trivilize it, make it into something akin to a cartoon and opposing fans mocking it.

If you can't understand this simple concept imagine what Jewish groups would say if some non Jewish team grabbed imagery and aspects of Jewish culture that was iconic and trivilizaed, commericalised and mocked it.

I live near a First Nations Reserve and I've seen plenty of Mohawks wearing Redskins, Chiefs and Blackhawks clothing. It'd be interesting to know what percentage cares about the subject.

I live near a First Nations Reserve and I've seen plenty of Mohawks wearing Redskins, Chiefs and Blackhawks clothing. It'd be interesting to know what percentage cares about the subject.
The only percentage that really cares is virtue signaling, thigh armed, blue haired, White Liberals.....

The 90's movie Thunderheart, starring Val Kilmer, did a great job delving into a lot of these issues, Well worth a watch, or re-watch, if you are serious about understanding the situation better.

Of folks that have issues with native American team names. I wonder what the per capita breakdown is for actual Native Americans to easily triggered /virtue signaling white folks in 20s/30s ? Moat Native Americans I heard have no issue with Redskins let alone Chiefs.

Yeah, from all I've gathered, they mostly like it and see it as tribute. This always seemed like an "offended on behalf of other people" white savior shit.

The Chiefs is a respectable name

Team names based around indigenous groups were not done out of racist intent, but generally from appreciation for their tenacity and warrior spirits. Proper terms by todays standards? Maybe not and maybe that needs addressing.
I mean from their view they stole your lands and tried to wipe you out from existence, but then use you as a mascot for a damn sports team hahaha

I mean from their view they stole your lands and tried to wipe you out from existence, but then use you as a mascot for a damn sports team hahaha
I hear that side and fully respect it. It's like a backhanded compliment. One that is also generating income to a white owner no less.

I'm still not sure if the intended use is coming from a mocking or racist perspective, but it's almost equally as bad when contextualized like you noted (and rightfully so).

Back