Somebody please give Jamahal Hill a lesson in interviewing

False...

Talking doesnt need or shouldn't be a prerequisite of making money...

Knocking mother fuckers out in the first should do that enough ..

Pay the man...see ya on the next one .

Mic skills is for WWE this shit real over here
I feel like this is what we wish was true. But it seems pretty clear that talking shit is just as important as winning.

Okay, it's Sunday 6PM and I just watched it for the first time. Although it was neither memorable nor impressive, I certainly didn't find it cringe-worthy or embarrassing.

I will agree that he should probably work on his self-promotion skills, but beyond that, he seems like a down-to-earth, good dude.

Yes, Like I said. There are different types of fans.

Yes, I was agreeing

But if the goal is to help them be as financialy secure as possible while having their MMA career, then they can surely do both. Moose for instance famously was investing into real estate throughout entire career and made a lot of money doing so.

And Moose famously underperformed in some of his fights. Could be because he wasn't fully focused on his MMA career. Same goes for Al Iaquinta. But some do make it work. Not everyone is indeed in need of financial advice.

GSP had advisors while doing his MMA career. Aldo invested in a business. Etc etc. MMA "fans" are hyper focalised on "talking more" to make more money, yet as I just mentioned, there's far more ways for these guys to make more money, and many of these ways are more concrete, guarenteed ways of making money.

Sure but again, then you are too focused on just the money and not on both the MMA career and money. Besides you can't comment on other side gigs they might have, because that's not what they bring into the media most of the time. Otherwise people love to comment on things like Conor's whiskey or indeed Aldo's burger joint. I have no problem with that.

But who said anything about talking more? Not me and not TS I think. They are interviewed after their fight, why not make the best out of that? You are given a moment in the spotlight to possibly promote yourself and create some opportunities for the career you chose. It would make (business) sense to not waste it. I didn't even watch the interview, just going by what TS said that he kinda botched it. You don't have to talk more, but you can have a clear goal with what you are saying and also be clear in the delivery. That alone would benefit a lot of fighters. And it's not just about money, but also getting the higher ranked opponents or generally getting a diversity in options. Options are always great to have.

I personally wouldn't see it as my place to do that unless they either asked for my advice, or if I knew for a fact that they needed help and had a sure fire way to help them. Otherwise I feel like my advice would be unsolicited and even insulting. I mean, are we really assuming our oubvious advice is something they haven't thought of themselves? You think these fighters never thought "I should talk more!" ? Are we putting ourselves on such a pedastool to suggest that we know more about maximizing the profits of a fighting career than actual fighters do?

Sure, there are ways to make sure to suggest something without insulting someone. I just wasn't gonna flesh out an entire scenario for the sake of the analogy.

And as far as the analogy translates to MMA and this forum, people aren't actually advising and possibly giving unsolicited advice, they are just giving their opinion to a bunch of people on the internet, just like what people think someone should do or should have done in a fight. You aren't actually pushing yourself in the trainer's spot and harassing the fighter with your brilliant insight of you should just have hit him on the chin more!

What is obvious to you is not always obvious to another though. Like Brunson saying he would retire after another fight that he wanted to be a title fight. It was obviously a dumb career move to most, yet he still does it and I very much doubt he did it knowingly that that very statement would make sure he wouldn't get a TS. Fighters often make not so smart career moves that seem obvious, but they still do it and afterwards complain about he situation they are in. Seems like they could have benefited from some consultation on the matter before hand.

Last edited:
Not everyone can talk like Dana White Privilege Chandler.

I thought his interview was fine. I don't know what was so incomprehensible to you.

Back