Television Space Shuttle Columbia disaster or Space Shuttle Challenger disaster - Which shocked you more?

Which shocked you more?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some were probably not old enough to see the Space Shuttle Challenger exploding. But I thought I'd ask this question anyway.

I honestly have more vivid memories with the Space Shuttle Challenger exploding, rather than the other one.

I totally forgot the Space Shuttle Columbia explosion happened. Even though it's more recent. Not sure why, maybe I was just a little kid when the Challenger exploded. So it gave me an indelible unforgettable memory for a young mind.

Both are very tragic and shocking indeed.

Challenger, for sure.

I was in elementary school at the time. It was odd for us kids watching the reactions of the staff because adults were supposed to have it together. We got sent home early, but there wasn't a normal reaction to it. Normally, we'd be carrying on as we were heading out for the day and getting ready to play outside. Not that day. It was quiet.

Last edited:
Both were equally horrible tragedies but there’s no question the Challenger explosion was more psychologically devastating for the public for a number of reasons. With the explosion of the Challenger people instantly knew there was no hope for survivors vs the slow breakup of the Discovery on re-entry there was a lot less awareness of what people had just witnessed.

The Challenger launch was highly publicized and the live broadcast was being viewed in schools across the nation at the time of the explosion and it was the first time astronauts were killed in flight. Also, parents, spouses, and children of the astronauts were gathered at the launch site and watched their loved ones perish in an instant. There are videos on YouTube that captured the reactions of the family members that I won’t post here.

We watched Space Shuttle Challenger blow up live on tv in my elementary school and I think most people alive during that time will never forget the name Christa McAuliffe

I honestly have no idea what Space Shuttle Columbia is

Challenger was a shock because it was the first time Americans were killed in a space flight. 3 astronauts were killed in a training fire on the ground in Apollo 1. All of America's space missions had been successful other than Apollo 13 which still brought the crew back alive. The Space shuttles had been launched successfully for several years and 24 previous flights. The Challenger was also on live video.

The Columbia problem was caused on the launch but didn't happen until the re-entry where there aren't any cameras. It was pretty much know that it must have broken up on re-entry but there was little evidence other than some lights in the sky until debris was found. Nothing near as graphic as Challenger.

Challenger was a shock because it was the first time Americans were killed in a space flight. 3 astronauts were killed in a training fire on the ground in Apollo 1. All of America's space missions had been successful other than Apollo 13 which still brought the crew back alive. The Space shuttles had been launched successfully for several years and 24 previous flights. The Challenger was also on live video.

The Columbia problem was caused on the launch but didn't happen until the re-entry where there aren't any cameras. It was pretty much know that it must have broken up on re-entry but there was little evidence other than some lights in the sky until debris was found. Nothing near as graphic as Challenger.

Great post, couldn't have said it better.

I say the Space Shuttle Columbia because I remember talking about how the nose cap of the shuttle was made of tiles

Challenger was a shock to everyone, but when Columbia happened all the hipsters were like, "that is soooo 20 years ago" and went back to sipping their latte.

Challenger, for sure.

I was in elementary school at the time. It was odd for us kids watching the reactions of the staff, because adults were supposed to have it together. We got sent home early, but there wasn't a normal reaction to it. Normally, we'd be carrying on as we we're heading out for the day and getting ready to play outside. Not that day. It was quiet.

This.

And on top of what other folks have mentioned, the times and context made Challenger a much bigger deal. This was Cold War 1986, kids were taught why they said the pledge of allegiance and even dems were drinking the Reagan kool aid. It was less than 5 years since the first shuttle launch and everyone thought the shuttle program was super important for the good guys to (keep) winning the cold war.

When the Columbia disaster happened in 2003, cold war was over, NASA was fake and gay and the shuttle program was old news with its only purpose to dock with a space station so astronauts could try to beat David Blaine's record at surviving in zero G while thinking of new ways to drink their own piss.

I don’t think I was even alive when the challenger happened

Back